Re: [fukuoka_farming] (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist

  • vivasayee vivasayee
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2010
      Hi Satya ,

      Can you tell me the name as many of us may not be knowing the weeds ,
      hearing the name communist for first time

      Just to give us more clue take a close picture of it and send it to forum .

      Look around near by fields ,any one is using hybrid seeds cultivation as
      they are primarily responsible for huge weeds and unwanted ..

      More over as per nature fundamentals ,any thing grow high in the field some
      how substitutes
      It can be used for "mulching " ,Think other way around if it is causing loss
      some how ,you need to think on destroy part .

      Whenever I use natural way of pesticides which doesnt kill the pests but
      make them ran away from field ,which indicates we are leaving the way for
      every living creature to live in this world..

      In other way around as business crooked minds after world war 2 ,started
      pesticides and
      fertilizers making which makes the soil infertile

      "TRUST ME if you follow natural farming " soil fertility will be increased
      ,I cannot comment the remedy as the name looks new for me.....

      Warm Regards
      Vivasayee

      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

      > Hi Every body
      >
      > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
      > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
      > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
      > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
      > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
      > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
      > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
      > in the group help.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Satya
      >

      > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
      > From: skkumaraswamy@... <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
      > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
      > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
      >
      > Dear Sharan,
      > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
      >
      > Regards
      > Swamy

    • greenie6666
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2010
        I agree with Frank & Nandan's suggestions to use it as mulch, here in Australia conventional advise would be to spray or burn, which in my opinion will just rob your soil, also I have noticed in my experience that if plants appear to be toxic in some way & aren't eaten by anything, they don't seem to have much defense against being cut & with continuous cutting they die out very quickly. I would cut the plant at it's advance stage just before it starts to flower & with cutting each time before it sets seed it wont last that long. Good luck with it.

        Also after hearing of Thomas's experience at some natural farms in India, I'm about to leave here for India in a few weeks & I may contact some other natural farmers there if I seem to have time & opportunity to visit them...regards...Norm.

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5, 2010
          All are welcome to my farm in Palakkad,Kerala. If some of you pass through this route, write to me and we can meet in my farm.Some time I travel to Bangalore, so need advance notice.

           Even though it hasn't become a complete farm, so far being doing natural farming at 95% compliance, deviation being applying cow dung from neighbour's house, once in 6 months.

          Regards,
          Nandan

> [...]

          > > record, monitor, and inspect all email communications through its internal

          > > and external networks. Your messages can be subject to such lawful

          > > supervision as Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies deem necessary in

          > > order to protect their information, interests and reputation. Bajaj Auto and

          > > / or its group companies prohibit and may take steps to prevent their

          > > information systems from being used to view, store or forward offensive or

          > > discriminatory material. If this message contains such material, please

          > > report it to abuse@bajajauto. co.in <abuse%40bajajauto. co.in>. Please

          > > ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any

          > > documents from this transmission. Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies do

          > > not accept any liability for viruses.

          > > Climate, controversies and the changing signatures of nature

        • Sudhiranjan Mandal
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2010
            The idea here was to destroy the whole weed along with the seeds.Since these weeds are not exactly seasonal,and may be in various stages of growth: we will have to destroy the weeds that are matured also,and having seeds.The seeds should not have the opportunity to germinate.
            Sudhiranjan

            De: Sudhiranjan Mandal <sudhiranjan1959@...>
            À: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mardi 4 mai 2010, 20h21

            This weed propagates very fast and is also very invasive.

            I think I read somewhere that the best way to deal with the menace is to pull out the weed,root and all,and burn it.It is a bit laborious,but it was suggested that this was the most effective way.
            you could try it,Satya.
            regards,
            Sudhiranjan

            From: apsastry@gmail. com
            Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

            Hi,

            I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
            Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

            Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
            http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

            It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
            though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
            paddy/ groundnut.

            I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
            to respond to Satya.

            Regards,

            On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> wrote:

            > Hi Every body
            >
            > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
            > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
            > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
            > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
            > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
            > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
            > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
            > in the group help.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Satya
            >

            > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
            > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
            > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
            > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
            >
            > Dear Sharan,
            > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
            >
            > Regards
            > Swamy

          • Satya Kamath
            Message 5 of 21 , May 6, 2010
              hI

              The idea is good to remove the weed from the base before it grow. But the seeds of the weed is so light that it almost fly in from the neighbouring area. The seed does not get germinated where there is thick plants and where water gets accumulated. We keep on removong the weed in the early monsoon as it is small in size then. By Dec and January it is alomost 3-4 feet tall and removong it from the ground is a big problem. then come March it starts flowering and the seed starts flying in the air with the flowers.

              My question is is there any chemical available that can be sprayed on them in the month betw jan and feb so that they wont give seeds and further production is stopped. This is normally grows besides the commercial crop we plant like cashew, banana, flowers,mango etc.

              regards

              satya

              To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              From: sudhiranjan1959@...
              Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

              From: apsastry@gmail. com
              Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

              Message 6 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                Hi Vivasayee

                The name of the weed is Chromolaena odorata

                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                From: vivasayeee@...
                Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:47:12 +0400

                Message 7 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                  Dear Satya,
                         How to remove the effect of the chemicals you are going to use ,at a later stage?
                         It is a no-no
                         When we follow the natural farming route,we do not talk chemicals..Good Luck!!
                  regards,
                  Sudhiranjan

                  From: sudhiranjan1959@...
                  Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

                  From: apsastry@gmail. com
                  Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 9, 2010
                    Hi Satya ,

                    As you see the intention of this group I believe is natural farming and
                    this weed while doing some research looks very dangerous behaviour as it
                    increases more and more seeds when u use manual or mechanical .

                    Chemical Usage will bring you drastical impact on the soil and assciated
                    crops !

                    Look like the following !plz confirm ,

                    http://www.google.com/images?q=Chromolaena%20odorata&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ta:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

                    Looks like the origin is from North America and later it spread to other
                    areas of Asia by multiple ways ! Remember when u say "Chemical " you are
                    inviting problem to ur soil which is mother for all cropping... When
                    pesticides/fertilizer were able to produce mechanism to control to some
                    extent ,we can think about the same should be available through natural
                    ways..

                    "I will check this out ,and confident will find resolution "

                    Parallely eager to get any inputs from highly experienced "

                    My suggestion would be to look deep into the inherant properties of this
                    weed ,may be need some agricultural scientist in this forum to take deep
                    dive analysis

                    This one reproduced based on typical weather conditions ,weather conditions
                    we cannot change ,but we can increase the soil capability which is ur worry
                    by adopting various methods or do for one time anti cropping like some
                    crops which does not allow other crop to succeed ..--->For this we need to
                    study deep into this weed ,which is supposed to be done by the scientist who
                    are paid by govt but unfortunately they work for pesticides/fertilizers
                    companies for mere money sake....

                    here we need to look how the fore-farmers have address this issue!!!

                    We cannot fiddle around the nature ,there is some thing which is aiding in
                    ur land which needs to be looked on wt is that other than weather condition

                    Regards
                    vivasayeee