Re: [fukuoka_farming] (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2010
      What about using it as a green manure crop? Perhaps chop it down and leave
      it in the field. Then return to chop it down again, and again, until it
      dies. Meanwhile, you've just added it to the topsoil, increasing the depth
      of your soil.

      Frank

      On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

> [...]
      > > From: skkumaraswamy@... <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in><skkumaraswamy%
      > 40bajajauto.co.in>
      > > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
      > > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
      > >
      > > Dear Sharan,
      > > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Swamy
      > >
      > > From: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
      > 40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:
      > > fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
      > 40yahoogroups.com>] On
      > > Behalf Of shan itagi
      > > Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:38 PM
      > > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
      > 40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
      > >
      > > hello, i am a farmer from raichur karnataka, i am very happy to say that
      > > slowly responding to natural farming i will be very happy if anybody give
      > me
      > > the adress of kumarswamys farm.once i see the farm i start seriously the
      > > natural farming
      > > thanks
      > > sharan itagi
      > > farmer 9880665935

      > > www.bajajauto.com
      > >
      > > DISCLAIMER: This message, including any attachments may contain
      > > proprietary, confidential and privileged information for the sole use of
      > the
      > > intended recipient(s), and is protected by law. If you are not the
      > intended
      > > recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of
      > > the original message and attachments, if any. Any unauthorized review,
      > use,
      > > disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email
      > or
      > > any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and
      > may
      > > be unlawful. Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies reserve the right to
      > > record, monitor, and inspect all email communications through its
      > internal
      > > and external networks. Your messages can be subject to such lawful
      > > supervision as Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies deem necessary in
      > > order to protect their information, interests and reputation. Bajaj Auto
      > and
      > > / or its group companies prohibit and may take steps to prevent their
      > > information systems from being used to view, store or forward offensive
      > or
      > > discriminatory material. If this message contains such material, please
      > > report it to abuse@... <abuse%40bajajauto.co.in> <abuse%
      > 40bajajauto.co.in>. Please
      > > ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any
      > > documents from this transmission. Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies

    • 倩 冯
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2010
        Pennisetum hydridum ( also called KingGrass).

        I found a chinese company is using this grass to deal with the bad weeds.

        Best wishes,

        Chris

        --- 10年5月4日,周二, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...> 写道:

        发件人: Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>
        主题: RE: [fukuoka_farming] (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist
        收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        日期: 2010年5月4日,周二,下午6:26

        Hi Pawanji. You are right. This has become nuisance all over. In rainy season it looks very green and very attractive. It is not eaten by any animal and not useful at all for any purpose. It spoils the nutrient of the soil and is a new weed been introduced lately. Please let me have a cure for this.

        Regards

        satya

        Chromolaena odorata

        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

        To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
        From: apsastry@gmail. com
        Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

        On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com>wrote:

        > Hi Every body
        >
        > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
        > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
        > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
        > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
        > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
        > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
        > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
        > in the group help.
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Satya
        >

        > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
        > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
        > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
        > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
        >
        > Dear Sharan,
        > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
        >
        > Regards
        > Swamy

        Pavan Sastry
        Asst. Business Analyst
        Tata Consultancy Services
        Hyderabad

        The amazing world in sharp snaps
        http://news. in.msn.com/ gallery/archive. aspx

      • Sudhiranjan Mandal
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2010
          This weed propagates very fast and is also very invasive.

          I think I read somewhere that the best way to deal with the menace is to pull out the weed,root and all,and burn it.It is a bit laborious,but it was suggested that this was the most effective way.
          you could try it,Satya.
          regards,
          Sudhiranjan

          From: apsastry@gmail. com
          Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

          Hi,

          I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
          Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

          Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
          http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

          It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
          though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
          paddy/ groundnut.

          I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
          to respond to Satya.

          Regards,

          On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com>wrote:

          > Hi Every body
          >
          > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
          > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
          > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
          > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
          > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
          > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
          > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
          > in the group help.
          >
          > regards
          >
          > Satya
          >

          > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
          > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
          > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
          > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
          >
          > Dear Sharan,
          > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
          >
          > Regards
          > Swamy

        • vivasayee vivasayee
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2010
            Hi Satya ,

            Can you tell me the name as many of us may not be knowing the weeds ,
            hearing the name communist for first time

            Just to give us more clue take a close picture of it and send it to forum .

            Look around near by fields ,any one is using hybrid seeds cultivation as
            they are primarily responsible for huge weeds and unwanted ..

            More over as per nature fundamentals ,any thing grow high in the field some
            how substitutes
            It can be used for "mulching " ,Think other way around if it is causing loss
            some how ,you need to think on destroy part .

            Whenever I use natural way of pesticides which doesnt kill the pests but
            make them ran away from field ,which indicates we are leaving the way for
            every living creature to live in this world..

            In other way around as business crooked minds after world war 2 ,started
            pesticides and
            fertilizers making which makes the soil infertile

            "TRUST ME if you follow natural farming " soil fertility will be increased
            ,I cannot comment the remedy as the name looks new for me.....

            Warm Regards
            Vivasayee

            On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

            > Hi Every body
            >
            > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
            > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
            > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
            > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
            > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
            > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
            > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
            > in the group help.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Satya
            >

            > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
            > From: skkumaraswamy@... <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
            > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
            > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
            >
            > Dear Sharan,
            > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
            >
            > Regards
            > Swamy

          • greenie6666
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2010
              I agree with Frank & Nandan's suggestions to use it as mulch, here in Australia conventional advise would be to spray or burn, which in my opinion will just rob your soil, also I have noticed in my experience that if plants appear to be toxic in some way & aren't eaten by anything, they don't seem to have much defense against being cut & with continuous cutting they die out very quickly. I would cut the plant at it's advance stage just before it starts to flower & with cutting each time before it sets seed it wont last that long. Good luck with it.

              Also after hearing of Thomas's experience at some natural farms in India, I'm about to leave here for India in a few weeks & I may contact some other natural farmers there if I seem to have time & opportunity to visit them...regards...Norm.

            • ITAN France
              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                Burn the removed weeds is not a good idea. The better way is to remove the weeds early, then they don't give seeds.

                Institut Technique d Agriculture Naturelle
                73, rue de la paix
                78800 Houilles FRANCE

                --- 10年5月4日,周二, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> 写道:

                From: apsastry@gmail. com
                Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                Hi,

                I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
                Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

                Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
                http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

                It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
                though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
                paddy/ groundnut.

                I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
                to respond to Satya.

                Regards,

                On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                > Hi Every body
                >
                > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
                > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
                > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
                > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
                > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
                > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
                > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
                > in the group help.
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Satya
                >

                > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
                > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
                > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
                > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
                >
                > Dear Sharan,
                > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
                >
                > Regards
                > Swamy

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                  All are welcome to my farm in Palakkad,Kerala. If some of you pass through this route, write to me and we can meet in my farm.Some time I travel to Bangalore, so need advance notice.

                   Even though it hasn't become a complete farm, so far being doing natural farming at 95% compliance, deviation being applying cow dung from neighbour's house, once in 6 months.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                    The idea here was to destroy the whole weed along with the seeds.Since these weeds are not exactly seasonal,and may be in various stages of growth: we will have to destroy the weeds that are matured also,and having seeds.The seeds should not have the opportunity to germinate.
                    Sudhiranjan

                    From: apsastry@gmail. com
                    Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                    Hi,

                    I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
                    Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

                    Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
                    http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

                    It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
                    though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
                    paddy/ groundnut.

                    I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
                    to respond to Satya.

                    Regards,

                    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                    > Hi Every body
                    >
                    > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
                    > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
                    > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
                    > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
                    > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
                    > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
                    > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
                    > in the group help.
                    >
                    > regards
                    >
                    > Satya
                    >

                    > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
                    > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
                    > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
                    > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
                    >
                    > Dear Sharan,
                    > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Swamy

                  • Satya Kamath
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                      hI

                      The idea is good to remove the weed from the base before it grow. But the seeds of the weed is so light that it almost fly in from the neighbouring area. The seed does not get germinated where there is thick plants and where water gets accumulated. We keep on removong the weed in the early monsoon as it is small in size then. By Dec and January it is alomost 3-4 feet tall and removong it from the ground is a big problem. then come March it starts flowering and the seed starts flying in the air with the flowers.

                      My question is is there any chemical available that can be sprayed on them in the month betw jan and feb so that they wont give seeds and further production is stopped. This is normally grows besides the commercial crop we plant like cashew, banana, flowers,mango etc.

                      regards

                      satya

                      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                      From: sudhiranjan1959@...
                      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

                      From: apsastry@gmail. com
                      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                        Hi Vivasayee

                        The name of the weed is Chromolaena odorata

                        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                        From: vivasayeee@...
                        Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:47:12 +0400

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                          Dear Satya,
                                 How to remove the effect of the chemicals you are going to use ,at a later stage?
                                 It is a no-no
                                 When we follow the natural farming route,we do not talk chemicals..Good Luck!!
                          regards,
                          Sudhiranjan

                          From: sudhiranjan1959@...
                          Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

                          From: apsastry@gmail. com
                          Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 9, 2010
                            Hi Satya ,

                            As you see the intention of this group I believe is natural farming and
                            this weed while doing some research looks very dangerous behaviour as it
                            increases more and more seeds when u use manual or mechanical .

                            Chemical Usage will bring you drastical impact on the soil and assciated
                            crops !

                            Look like the following !plz confirm ,

                            http://www.google.com/images?q=Chromolaena%20odorata&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ta:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

                            Looks like the origin is from North America and later it spread to other
                            areas of Asia by multiple ways ! Remember when u say "Chemical " you are
                            inviting problem to ur soil which is mother for all cropping... When
                            pesticides/fertilizer were able to produce mechanism to control to some
                            extent ,we can think about the same should be available through natural
                            ways..

                            "I will check this out ,and confident will find resolution "

                            Parallely eager to get any inputs from highly experienced "

                            My suggestion would be to look deep into the inherant properties of this
                            weed ,may be need some agricultural scientist in this forum to take deep
                            dive analysis

                            This one reproduced based on typical weather conditions ,weather conditions
                            we cannot change ,but we can increase the soil capability which is ur worry
                            by adopting various methods or do for one time anti cropping like some
                            crops which does not allow other crop to succeed ..--->For this we need to
                            study deep into this weed ,which is supposed to be done by the scientist who
                            are paid by govt but unfortunately they work for pesticides/fertilizers
                            companies for mere money sake....

                            here we need to look how the fore-farmers have address this issue!!!

                            We cannot fiddle around the nature ,there is some thing which is aiding in
                            ur land which needs to be looked on wt is that other than weather condition

                            Regards
                            vivasayeee