Re: (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist

  • Pietro
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2010
      I remember Fukuoka suggesting to make plants compete with similar, but useful, plants. Not sure if this could be useful in this case. If not please ignore my suggestion.

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Pavan Sastry <apsastry@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
      > Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata
      >
      > Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromolaena_odorata

    • Frank McAvinchey
      Message 2 of 21 , May 3, 2010
        So that weed was introduced from the Americas! That's a change of pace.

        Frank

        On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Pietro <2009@...> wrote:

        > I remember Fukuoka suggesting to make plants compete with similar, but
        > useful, plants. Not sure if this could be useful in this case. If not please
        > ignore my suggestion.

        > Pavan Sastry <apsastry@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that
        > the
        > > Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata
        > >
        > > Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromolaena_odorata

      • Satya Kamath
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2010
          Hi Pawanji. You are right. This has become nuisance all over. In rainy season it looks very green and very attractive. It is not eaten by any animal and not useful at all for any purpose. It spoils the nutrient of the soil and is a new weed been introduced lately. Please let me have a cure for this.

          Regards

          satya

          Chromolaena odorata

          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

          Jump to: navigation, search

          Chromolaena odorata

          Scientific classification

          Kingdom:
          Plantae

          (unranked):
          Angiosperms

          (unranked):
          Eudicots

          (unranked):
          Asterids

          Order:
          Asterales

          Family:
          Asteraceae

          Genus:
          Chromolaena

          Species:
          C. odorata

          Binomial name

          Chromolaena odorata
          (L.) King & H.E.Robins.

          Synonyms

          Eupatorium odoratum
          Osmia odorata (L.) Sch.Bip.

          It was earlier taxonomically classified under the genus Eupatorium, but is now considered more closely related to other genera in the tribe Eupatorieae.[2]
          Chromolaena odorata is considered invasive weed of field crops in its introduced range, and has been reported to be the most problematic invasive species within protected rainforests in Africa.[3]

          Contents[hide]

          1 Toxicity
          2 References
          3 Further reading
          4 External links

          [edit] Toxicity
          Chromolaena odorata contains carcinogenic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.[4]

          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
          From: apsastry@...
          Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530
          Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist

          Hi,

          I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
          Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

          Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromolaena_odorata

          It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
          though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
          paddy/ groundnut.

          I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
          to respond to Satya.

          Regards,

          On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

          > Hi Every body
          >
          > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
          > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
          > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
          > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
          > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
          > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
          > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
          > in the group help.
          >
          > regards
          >
          > Satya
          >

          > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
          > From: skkumaraswamy@... <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
          > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
          > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
          >
          > Dear Sharan,
          > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
          >
          > Regards
          > Swamy

          Pavan Sastry
          Asst. Business Analyst
          Tata Consultancy Services
          Hyderabad

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2010
            I have seen this weed and in kerala it is called as "communist pacha", pacha means green..This was grown in boundary as a fence in olden times, now everything is changed to brick walls..

            It produces lot of biomass so should be good for mulching, you should be able to plant banana or some strong plants and because of shade, it will go away..this is just a guess, no experience in dealing this one.

            Regards,
            Nandan

            To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
            From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in
            Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
            Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm

[...]

            systems from being used to view, store or forward offensive or discriminatory material. If this message contains such material, please report it to abuse@bajajauto. co.in. Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission. Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies do not accept any liability for viruses.

            Climate, controversies and the changing signatures of nature
            http://green. in.msn.com/

          • Frank McAvinchey
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2010
              What about using it as a green manure crop? Perhaps chop it down and leave
              it in the field. Then return to chop it down again, and again, until it
              dies. Meanwhile, you've just added it to the topsoil, increasing the depth
              of your soil.

              Frank

              On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

> [...]
              > > record, monitor, and inspect all email communications through its
              > internal
              > > and external networks. Your messages can be subject to such lawful
              > > supervision as Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies deem necessary in
              > > order to protect their information, interests and reputation. Bajaj Auto
              > and
              > > / or its group companies prohibit and may take steps to prevent their
              > > information systems from being used to view, store or forward offensive
              > or
              > > discriminatory material. If this message contains such material, please
              > > report it to abuse@... <abuse%40bajajauto.co.in> <abuse%
              > 40bajajauto.co.in>. Please
              > > ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any
              > > documents from this transmission. Bajaj Auto and / or its group companies

            • 倩 冯
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2010
                Pennisetum hydridum ( also called KingGrass).

                I found a chinese company is using this grass to deal with the bad weeds.

                Best wishes,

                Chris

                --- 10年5月4日,周二, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...> 写道:

                From: apsastry@gmail. com
                Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com>wrote:

                > Hi Every body
                >
                > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
                > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
                > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
                > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
                > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
                > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
                > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
                > in the group help.
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Satya
                >

                > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
                > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
                > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
                > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
                >
                > Dear Sharan,
                > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
                >
                > Regards
                > Swamy

                Pavan Sastry
                Asst. Business Analyst
                Tata Consultancy Services
                Hyderabad

                The amazing world in sharp snaps
                http://news. in.msn.com/ gallery/archive. aspx

              • Sudhiranjan Mandal
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2010
                  This weed propagates very fast and is also very invasive.

                  I think I read somewhere that the best way to deal with the menace is to pull out the weed,root and all,and burn it.It is a bit laborious,but it was suggested that this was the most effective way.
                  you could try it,Satya.
                  regards,
                  Sudhiranjan

                  From: apsastry@gmail. com
                  Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                  Hi,

                  I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
                  Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

                  Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
                  http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

                  It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
                  though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
                  paddy/ groundnut.

                  I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
                  to respond to Satya.

                  Regards,

                  On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com>wrote:

                  > Hi Every body
                  >
                  > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
                  > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
                  > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
                  > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
                  > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
                  > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
                  > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
                  > in the group help.
                  >
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Satya
                  >

                  > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
                  > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
                  > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
                  >
                  > Dear Sharan,
                  > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Swamy

                • vivasayee vivasayee
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2010
                    Hi Satya ,

                    Can you tell me the name as many of us may not be knowing the weeds ,
                    hearing the name communist for first time

                    Just to give us more clue take a close picture of it and send it to forum .

                    Look around near by fields ,any one is using hybrid seeds cultivation as
                    they are primarily responsible for huge weeds and unwanted ..

                    More over as per nature fundamentals ,any thing grow high in the field some
                    how substitutes
                    It can be used for "mulching " ,Think other way around if it is causing loss
                    some how ,you need to think on destroy part .

                    Whenever I use natural way of pesticides which doesnt kill the pests but
                    make them ran away from field ,which indicates we are leaving the way for
                    every living creature to live in this world..

                    In other way around as business crooked minds after world war 2 ,started
                    pesticides and
                    fertilizers making which makes the soil infertile

                    "TRUST ME if you follow natural farming " soil fertility will be increased
                    ,I cannot comment the remedy as the name looks new for me.....

                    Warm Regards
                    Vivasayee

                    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@...>wrote:

                    > Hi Every body
                    >
                    > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
                    > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
                    > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
                    > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
                    > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
                    > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
                    > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
                    > in the group help.
                    >
                    > regards
                    >
                    > Satya
                    >

                    > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > From: skkumaraswamy@... <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
                    > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
                    > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
                    >
                    > Dear Sharan,
                    > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Swamy

                  • greenie6666
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2010
                      I agree with Frank & Nandan's suggestions to use it as mulch, here in Australia conventional advise would be to spray or burn, which in my opinion will just rob your soil, also I have noticed in my experience that if plants appear to be toxic in some way & aren't eaten by anything, they don't seem to have much defense against being cut & with continuous cutting they die out very quickly. I would cut the plant at it's advance stage just before it starts to flower & with cutting each time before it sets seed it wont last that long. Good luck with it.

                      Also after hearing of Thomas's experience at some natural farms in India, I'm about to leave here for India in a few weeks & I may contact some other natural farmers there if I seem to have time & opportunity to visit them...regards...Norm.

                    • ITAN France
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                        Burn the removed weeds is not a good idea. The better way is to remove the weeds early, then they don't give seeds.

                        Institut Technique d Agriculture Naturelle
                        73, rue de la paix
                        78800 Houilles FRANCE

                        --- 10年5月4日,周二, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> 写道:

                        From: apsastry@gmail. com
                        Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                          All are welcome to my farm in Palakkad,Kerala. If some of you pass through this route, write to me and we can meet in my farm.Some time I travel to Bangalore, so need advance notice.

                           Even though it hasn't become a complete farm, so far being doing natural farming at 95% compliance, deviation being applying cow dung from neighbour's house, once in 6 months.

                          Regards,
                          Nandan

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5, 2010
                            The idea here was to destroy the whole weed along with the seeds.Since these weeds are not exactly seasonal,and may be in various stages of growth: we will have to destroy the weeds that are matured also,and having seeds.The seeds should not have the opportunity to germinate.
                            Sudhiranjan

                            From: apsastry@gmail. com
                            Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                              hI

                              The idea is good to remove the weed from the base before it grow. But the seeds of the weed is so light that it almost fly in from the neighbouring area. The seed does not get germinated where there is thick plants and where water gets accumulated. We keep on removong the weed in the early monsoon as it is small in size then. By Dec and January it is alomost 3-4 feet tall and removong it from the ground is a big problem. then come March it starts flowering and the seed starts flying in the air with the flowers.

                              My question is is there any chemical available that can be sprayed on them in the month betw jan and feb so that they wont give seeds and further production is stopped. This is normally grows besides the commercial crop we plant like cashew, banana, flowers,mango etc.

                              regards

                              satya

                              To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                              From: sudhiranjan1959@...
                              Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

                              From: apsastry@gmail. com
                              Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                                Hi Vivasayee

                                The name of the weed is Chromolaena odorata

                                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                                From: vivasayeee@...
                                Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:47:12 +0400

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 6, 2010
                                  Dear Satya,
                                         How to remove the effect of the chemicals you are going to use ,at a later stage?
                                         It is a no-no
                                         When we follow the natural farming route,we do not talk chemicals..Good Luck!!
                                  regards,
                                  Sudhiranjan

                                  From: sudhiranjan1959@...
                                  Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

                                  From: apsastry@gmail. com
                                  Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 9, 2010
                                    Hi Satya ,

                                    As you see the intention of this group I believe is natural farming and
                                    this weed while doing some research looks very dangerous behaviour as it
                                    increases more and more seeds when u use manual or mechanical .

                                    Chemical Usage will bring you drastical impact on the soil and assciated
                                    crops !

                                    Look like the following !plz confirm ,

                                    http://www.google.com/images?q=Chromolaena%20odorata&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ta:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

                                    Looks like the origin is from North America and later it spread to other
                                    areas of Asia by multiple ways ! Remember when u say "Chemical " you are
                                    inviting problem to ur soil which is mother for all cropping... When
                                    pesticides/fertilizer were able to produce mechanism to control to some
                                    extent ,we can think about the same should be available through natural
                                    ways..

                                    "I will check this out ,and confident will find resolution "

                                    Parallely eager to get any inputs from highly experienced "

                                    My suggestion would be to look deep into the inherant properties of this
                                    weed ,may be need some agricultural scientist in this forum to take deep
                                    dive analysis

                                    This one reproduced based on typical weather conditions ,weather conditions
                                    we cannot change ,but we can increase the soil capability which is ur worry
                                    by adopting various methods or do for one time anti cropping like some
                                    crops which does not allow other crop to succeed ..--->For this we need to
                                    study deep into this weed ,which is supposed to be done by the scientist who
                                    are paid by govt but unfortunately they work for pesticides/fertilizers
                                    companies for mere money sake....

                                    here we need to look how the fore-farmers have address this issue!!!

                                    We cannot fiddle around the nature ,there is some thing which is aiding in
                                    ur land which needs to be looked on wt is that other than weather condition

                                    Regards
                                    vivasayeee