Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: upland rice

  • Sabrina Ooi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2010
      Brian, please forgive me if my tone on the IRRI rice seed was rather harsh.

      It would appear that either i am in the wrong forum or you actually do not know anything about IRRI.

      I had stumbled upon the CGIAR group when i went to work with the WorldFishCenter formerly ICLARM thinking that i was working with an organisation which had the the support of governments of the world plus respectable sounding organisations etc -- all with the noble mission of protection and conservation of the aquatic system, sustainable development, helping the poor, sustaining livelihoods of fisherfolks, ensuring there is protein for all etc... what i uncovered changed my outlook altogether.

      Of course it is all far from the truth. It is all just a front for their real intention. The 16 centers are responsible for the development and promotion of genetically modified foods, and a long list of patents -- the real goal of course is to make money from the monopoly of food systems. They call themselves FutureHarvest Centers -- each work on a particular food source -- rice, potato, forest, fish etc. They infiltrate local systems, suck up indigenous know how, patent them wherever, which ever way possible. And, vomit out -- this time, seeds and "technology" for poor farmers... sterile patented seeds!!!

      Their modus operandi should be quite obvious don't you think? IRRI keep your seeds!