Re:Garlic

  • Tom Gibson
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
      Gloria,

      This may come as a shock to you but most people in the world don't shop in
      stores and they don't have food trucked from thousands of miles away. I
      suggested getting it locally because it is probably grown locally so it will
      do well in that environment.

      You can see what is going on in our food forest at
      <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
      <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
      Tom Gibson

      Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
      toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
      fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
      table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
      agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
      concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
      for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
      nutrient dense foods

    • GLORIA
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 8, 2010
        It is not a shock to me. I had a guy on my gardening list ask what was so different about the garlic he bought in his local store in Ohio. One was grown in the Midwest US, but the other was grown in Mexico. The difference was that one was supposed to be grown in the cooler northern climate, but the other one was grown in Mexico and would not do well in Ohio. You see he planted them both with different results.

        I always caution people to buy their plants, bulbs, corms, trees, etc, as close to where they live as possible....that they were grown as close as is possible is not always guaranteed, but it does make a difference in results. Many people do not know there is more than one type of garlic.

        I have been on this list for many years now. I don't pop up all that often, but I do try to read the posts and reply from time to time. It has changed a lot from when it began.....

        Gloria