Re: [fukuoka_farming] Invitation to view NF farm Banana and wheat.

  • Bobby Ray
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
      I too would love to see it and I too am outside of Bangalore in KGF. (Kolar
      Gold Fields). thanks Bobby Ray. I would be glad to travel with another. To
      be honest I would enjoy it!

      On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

      > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all the
      > pics.
      >
      > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about some of
      > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am based
      > out of Bangalore.
      >

      > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > Dear All,
      > > Inviting you all to view NF banana and wheat.
      > > NF Banana:
      > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
      > > NF Wheat:
      > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882
      > >
      > > Open to all forcomments & suggestions.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Kumaraswamy
      > >

      > --
      > Vishu
      >
      > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
      >
      > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

    • Tom Gibson
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
        Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
        mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
        probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
        methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
        sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
        question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
        works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
        often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
        what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
        get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
        keep an open mind.

        Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
        for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
        so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
        Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
        that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
        at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
        into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
        area.

        Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
        Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
        experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
        could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
        Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
        Many thanks,
        sabrina

        You can see what is going on in our food forest at
        <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
        <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
        Tom Gibson

        Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
        toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
        fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
        table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
        agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
        concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
        for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
        nutrient dense foods

      • G. G. Hegde
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
          Hi Vishu,

          I talked to Mr Kailashmoorty just now, he is OK if we come to his farm this
          weekend. Would that be OK for you, I am planning to leave to Kollegal early
          Sunday morning. As Mr Kailashmoorty will not be available all the time at
          his farm, we need to plan for those weekends where he would be there.

          Give me your contact no, will contact you, we could plan further.

          thanks and regards,
          gg

          On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mr Hegde,
          >
          > Sure will let you know. Keep me posted on your plans to visit Mr
          > Kailashmoorty.
          >

          > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM, G. G. Hegde <gghegde@...<gghegde%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Do let me know when this is planned, I too am in Bangalore and could join
          > > you for the visit.
          > >
          > > I am also planning to visit Mr Kailashmoorty (http://www.the-anf.org/)
          > > from
          > > kollegal (near Mysore) in coming weekends (hopefully april 17/18) let me
          > > know if you are interested in joining.
          > > regards,
          > > gg
          > >

          > > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...<magicblack%40gmail.com>
          > <magicblack%40gmail.com>>
          >
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all
          > > the
          > > > pics.
          > > >
          > > > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about
          > some
          > > of
          > > > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am
          > > based
          > > > out of Bangalore.
          > > >

          > > > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
          > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
          > > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>

          > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
          > > > >
          > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882

          > > > --
          > >
          > > > Vishu
          > > >
          > > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
          > > >
          > > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
          > > happens

          > --
          > Vishu
          >
          > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
          >
          > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

        • GLORIA
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
            Don't buy garlic in the store/market to plant in the garden. For one thing you will miss out on some great varieties that way. But there is a better reason in that it may not be the correct garlic for your climate.

            There are basically two kinds of garlic. One is hardnecked. that one is grown in cooler climates like in the northern half of the US. The other is softnecked. That one is grown in the warmer climates like you mentioned in your posts.

            It is better to order your garlic from a reliable seed/plant source. Some are stronger than others.....and as I said you would miss out on a chance to grow some great garlic by buying the same old same old in the grocery.

            Usually garlic is planted in the fall for harvest in the late spring, or the summer, depending on where one lives.

            Gloria, Texas
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gibson" <camaspermaculture@...> wrote:

            > Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
            > mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
            > probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
            > methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
            > sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
            > question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
            > works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
            > often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
            > what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
            > get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
            > keep an open mind.
            >

            > Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
            > for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
            > so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
            > Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
            > that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
            > at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
            > into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
            > area.
            >

            > Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
            > Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
            > experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
            > could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
            > Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
            > Many thanks,
            > sabrina
            >

            > You can see what is going on in our food forest at
            > <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
            > <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
            > Tom Gibson
            >

            > Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
            > toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
            > fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
            > table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
            > agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
            > concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
            > for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
            > nutrient dense foods

          • Vishu Shetty
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
              Hello Mr Hegde,

              I will be going to my farm this weekend and would probably not able to join
              you. However, if there is any change in my plans, I would like to join you.
              My no is 9845690781.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
                Gloria,

                This may come as a shock to you but most people in the world don't shop in
                stores and they don't have food trucked from thousands of miles away. I
                suggested getting it locally because it is probably grown locally so it will
                do well in that environment.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8, 2010
                  It is not a shock to me. I had a guy on my gardening list ask what was so different about the garlic he bought in his local store in Ohio. One was grown in the Midwest US, but the other was grown in Mexico. The difference was that one was supposed to be grown in the cooler northern climate, but the other one was grown in Mexico and would not do well in Ohio. You see he planted them both with different results.

                  I always caution people to buy their plants, bulbs, corms, trees, etc, as close to where they live as possible....that they were grown as close as is possible is not always guaranteed, but it does make a difference in results. Many people do not know there is more than one type of garlic.

                  I have been on this list for many years now. I don't pop up all that often, but I do try to read the posts and reply from time to time. It has changed a lot from when it began.....

                  Gloria