Garlic

  • Sabrina Ooi
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
      Many thanks,
      sabrina

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
        I too would love to see it and I too am outside of Bangalore in KGF. (Kolar
        Gold Fields). thanks Bobby Ray. I would be glad to travel with another. To
        be honest I would enjoy it!

        On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

        > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all the
        > pics.
        >
        > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about some of
        > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am based
        > out of Bangalore.
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
        > >wrote:
        >

        > > Dear All,
        > > Inviting you all to view NF banana and wheat.
        > > NF Banana:
        > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
        > > NF Wheat:
        > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882
        > >
        > > Open to all forcomments & suggestions.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Kumaraswamy
        > >

        > --
        > Vishu
        >
        > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
        >
        > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

      • Tom Gibson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
          Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
          mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
          probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
          methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
          sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
          question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
          works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
          often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
          what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
          get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
          keep an open mind.

          Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
          for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
          so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
          Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
          that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
          at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
          into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
          area.

          Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
          Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
          experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
          could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
          Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
          Many thanks,
          sabrina

          You can see what is going on in our food forest at
          <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
          <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
          Tom Gibson

          Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
          toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
          fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
          table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
          agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
          concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
          for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
          nutrient dense foods

        • G. G. Hegde
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
            Hi Vishu,

            I talked to Mr Kailashmoorty just now, he is OK if we come to his farm this
            weekend. Would that be OK for you, I am planning to leave to Kollegal early
            Sunday morning. As Mr Kailashmoorty will not be available all the time at
            his farm, we need to plan for those weekends where he would be there.

            Give me your contact no, will contact you, we could plan further.

            thanks and regards,
            gg

            On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

            > Hello Mr Hegde,
            >
            > Sure will let you know. Keep me posted on your plans to visit Mr
            > Kailashmoorty.
            >

            > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM, G. G. Hegde <gghegde@...<gghegde%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Do let me know when this is planned, I too am in Bangalore and could join
            > > you for the visit.
            > >
            > > I am also planning to visit Mr Kailashmoorty (http://www.the-anf.org/)
            > > from
            > > kollegal (near Mysore) in coming weekends (hopefully april 17/18) let me
            > > know if you are interested in joining.
            > > regards,
            > > gg
            > >

            > > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...<magicblack%40gmail.com>
            > <magicblack%40gmail.com>>
            >
            > > wrote:
            > >

            > > > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all
            > > the
            > > > pics.
            > > >
            > > > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about
            > some
            > > of
            > > > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am
            > > based
            > > > out of Bangalore.
            > > >

            > > > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
            > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
            > > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>

            > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
            > > > >
            > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882

            > > > --
            > >
            > > > Vishu
            > > >
            > > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
            > > >
            > > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
            > > happens

            > --
            > Vishu
            >
            > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
            >
            > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

          • GLORIA
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
              Don't buy garlic in the store/market to plant in the garden. For one thing you will miss out on some great varieties that way. But there is a better reason in that it may not be the correct garlic for your climate.

              There are basically two kinds of garlic. One is hardnecked. that one is grown in cooler climates like in the northern half of the US. The other is softnecked. That one is grown in the warmer climates like you mentioned in your posts.

              It is better to order your garlic from a reliable seed/plant source. Some are stronger than others.....and as I said you would miss out on a chance to grow some great garlic by buying the same old same old in the grocery.

              Usually garlic is planted in the fall for harvest in the late spring, or the summer, depending on where one lives.

              Gloria, Texas
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gibson" <camaspermaculture@...> wrote:

              > Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
              > mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
              > probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
              > methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
              > sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
              > question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
              > works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
              > often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
              > what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
              > get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
              > keep an open mind.
              >

              > Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
              > for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
              > so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
              > Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
              > that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
              > at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
              > into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
              > area.
              >

              > Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
              > Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
              > experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
              > could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
              > Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
              > Many thanks,
              > sabrina
              >

              > You can see what is going on in our food forest at
              > <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
              > <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
              > Tom Gibson
              >

              > Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
              > toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
              > fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
              > table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
              > agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
              > concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
              > for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
              > nutrient dense foods

            • Vishu Shetty
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
                Hello Mr Hegde,

                I will be going to my farm this weekend and would probably not able to join
                you. However, if there is any change in my plans, I would like to join you.
                My no is 9845690781.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
                  Gloria,

                  This may come as a shock to you but most people in the world don't shop in
                  stores and they don't have food trucked from thousands of miles away. I
                  suggested getting it locally because it is probably grown locally so it will
                  do well in that environment.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 8, 2010
                    It is not a shock to me. I had a guy on my gardening list ask what was so different about the garlic he bought in his local store in Ohio. One was grown in the Midwest US, but the other was grown in Mexico. The difference was that one was supposed to be grown in the cooler northern climate, but the other one was grown in Mexico and would not do well in Ohio. You see he planted them both with different results.

                    I always caution people to buy their plants, bulbs, corms, trees, etc, as close to where they live as possible....that they were grown as close as is possible is not always guaranteed, but it does make a difference in results. Many people do not know there is more than one type of garlic.

                    I have been on this list for many years now. I don't pop up all that often, but I do try to read the posts and reply from time to time. It has changed a lot from when it began.....

                    Gloria