Re: [fukuoka_farming] Invitation to view NF farm Banana and wheat.

  • Vishu Shetty
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31 8:25 PM
      Hello Mr Hegde,

      Sure will let you know. Keep me posted on your plans to visit Mr
      Kailashmoorty.

      On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM, G. G. Hegde <gghegde@...> wrote:

      > Do let me know when this is planned, I too am in Bangalore and could join
      > you for the visit.
      >
      > I am also planning to visit Mr Kailashmoorty (http://www.the-anf.org/)
      > from
      > kollegal (near Mysore) in coming weekends (hopefully april 17/18) let me
      > know if you are interested in joining.
      > regards,
      > gg
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...<magicblack%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all
      > the
      > > pics.
      > >
      > > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about some
      > of
      > > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am
      > based
      > > out of Bangalore.
      > >

      > > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
      > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
      >
      > > >wrote:
      > >

      > > > Dear All,
      > > > Inviting you all to view NF banana and wheat.
      > > > NF Banana:
      > > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
      > > > NF Wheat:
      > > >
      > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882
      > > >
      > > > Open to all forcomments & suggestions.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Kumaraswamy
      > > >

      > > --
      >
      > > Vishu
      > >
      > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
      > >
      > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
      > happens

      Vishu

      http://titli.bikingvikings.com

      The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

    • Sabrina Ooi
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
        Many thanks,
        sabrina

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
          Hi Kumaraswamy,

          Nice to see the progess in the natural farm..Banana plants looks really healthy now.

          Wheat and methi looks to be a good combination. And Methi is controlling the weeds and since it is small compared to wheat so looks like there is no competition. I remember that Fukuoka san used to weaken the clover by allowing more water, if it competes with rice. Do you do any such things?

          I assume that earlier to wheat the field was having toor dal. Was any ploughing done while putting the wheat and methi? Was there any grass in the field during this stage?

          This is a great motivation to all who follows natural farming...keep posting the developments, would like to visit the farms some time.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kumar" <skkumaraswamy@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          > Inviting you all to view NF banana and wheat.
          > NF Banana:
          > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
          > NF Wheat:
          > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882
          >
          > Open to all forcomments & suggestions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Kumaraswamy

        • Bobby Ray
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
            I too would love to see it and I too am outside of Bangalore in KGF. (Kolar
            Gold Fields). thanks Bobby Ray. I would be glad to travel with another. To
            be honest I would enjoy it!

            On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

            > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all the
            > pics.
            >
            > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about some of
            > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am based
            > out of Bangalore.
            >

            > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
            > >wrote:
            >

            > > Dear All,
            > > Inviting you all to view NF banana and wheat.
            > > NF Banana:
            > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
            > > NF Wheat:
            > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882
            > >
            > > Open to all forcomments & suggestions.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Kumaraswamy
            > >

            > --
            > Vishu
            >
            > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
            >
            > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

          • Tom Gibson
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
              Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
              mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
              probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
              methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
              sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
              question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
              works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
              often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
              what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
              get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
              keep an open mind.

              Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
              for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
              so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
              Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
              that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
              at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
              into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
              area.

              Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
              Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
              experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
              could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
              Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
              Many thanks,
              sabrina

              You can see what is going on in our food forest at
              <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
              <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
              Tom Gibson

              Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
              toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
              fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
              table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
              agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
              concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
              for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
              nutrient dense foods

            • G. G. Hegde
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                Hi Vishu,

                I talked to Mr Kailashmoorty just now, he is OK if we come to his farm this
                weekend. Would that be OK for you, I am planning to leave to Kollegal early
                Sunday morning. As Mr Kailashmoorty will not be available all the time at
                his farm, we need to plan for those weekends where he would be there.

                Give me your contact no, will contact you, we could plan further.

                thanks and regards,
                gg

                On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

                > Hello Mr Hegde,
                >
                > Sure will let you know. Keep me posted on your plans to visit Mr
                > Kailashmoorty.
                >

                > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM, G. G. Hegde <gghegde@...<gghegde%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Do let me know when this is planned, I too am in Bangalore and could join
                > > you for the visit.
                > >
                > > I am also planning to visit Mr Kailashmoorty (http://www.the-anf.org/)
                > > from
                > > kollegal (near Mysore) in coming weekends (hopefully april 17/18) let me
                > > know if you are interested in joining.
                > > regards,
                > > gg
                > >

                > > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...<magicblack%40gmail.com>
                > <magicblack%40gmail.com>>
                >
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Beautiful and nice to see insightful comments from Rajuji on almost all
                > > the
                > > > pics.
                > > >
                > > > I would like to visit your farm and learn first hand from you about
                > some
                > > of
                > > > the practices and techniques. Do let me know if it is possible. I am
                > > based
                > > > out of Bangalore.
                > > >

                > > > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM, kumar <skkumaraswamy@...<skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
                > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>
                > > <skkumaraswamy%40bajajauto.co.in>

                > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Banana_NF#5452165342126379730
                > > > >
                > > http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kadakolla/Wheat_menthi#5447932337384966882

                > > > --
                > >
                > > > Vishu
                > > >
                > > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
                > > >
                > > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
                > > happens

                > --
                > Vishu
                >
                > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
                >
                > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

              • GLORIA
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Don't buy garlic in the store/market to plant in the garden. For one thing you will miss out on some great varieties that way. But there is a better reason in that it may not be the correct garlic for your climate.

                  There are basically two kinds of garlic. One is hardnecked. that one is grown in cooler climates like in the northern half of the US. The other is softnecked. That one is grown in the warmer climates like you mentioned in your posts.

                  It is better to order your garlic from a reliable seed/plant source. Some are stronger than others.....and as I said you would miss out on a chance to grow some great garlic by buying the same old same old in the grocery.

                  Usually garlic is planted in the fall for harvest in the late spring, or the summer, depending on where one lives.

                  Gloria, Texas
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gibson" <camaspermaculture@...> wrote:

                  > Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
                  > mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
                  > probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
                  > methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
                  > sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
                  > question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
                  > works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
                  > often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
                  > what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
                  > get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
                  > keep an open mind.
                  >

                  > Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
                  > for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
                  > so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
                  > Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
                  > that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
                  > at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
                  > into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
                  > area.
                  >

                  > Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
                  > Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
                  > experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
                  > could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
                  > Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
                  > Many thanks,
                  > sabrina
                  >

                  > You can see what is going on in our food forest at
                  > <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
                  > <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
                  > Tom Gibson
                  >

                  > Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
                  > toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
                  > fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
                  > table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
                  > agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
                  > concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
                  > for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
                  > nutrient dense foods

                • Vishu Shetty
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
                    Hello Mr Hegde,

                    I will be going to my farm this weekend and would probably not able to join
                    you. However, if there is any change in my plans, I would like to join you.
                    My no is 9845690781.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6, 2010
                      Gloria,

                      This may come as a shock to you but most people in the world don't shop in
                      stores and they don't have food trucked from thousands of miles away. I
                      suggested getting it locally because it is probably grown locally so it will
                      do well in that environment.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 8, 2010
                        It is not a shock to me. I had a guy on my gardening list ask what was so different about the garlic he bought in his local store in Ohio. One was grown in the Midwest US, but the other was grown in Mexico. The difference was that one was supposed to be grown in the cooler northern climate, but the other one was grown in Mexico and would not do well in Ohio. You see he planted them both with different results.

                        I always caution people to buy their plants, bulbs, corms, trees, etc, as close to where they live as possible....that they were grown as close as is possible is not always guaranteed, but it does make a difference in results. Many people do not know there is more than one type of garlic.

                        I have been on this list for many years now. I don't pop up all that often, but I do try to read the posts and reply from time to time. It has changed a lot from when it began.....

                        Gloria