Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?

  • mwyett@amtelecom.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
      Dear Frank,
      If you get up my way , please come see my farm.We could put you up over
      night if primitive conditions don't scare you. the farm is only 15 min
      from the South Bay ferry terminal- on the south end of the island where
      the good land is. Lots of exciting things to see and talk about.

      mary

      Mary,

> [...]
      >> from Quebec- all their publications are fully bilingual. Dedicated to
      >> preservation of heritage seeds of veg, fruit, tree, grain,herb,flowers,
      >> etc. Most members grow organically.
      >> they run the famous Seedy Saturdays - some lectures on
      >> gardening/sustainable living but mainly a great big seed swap event.
      >> There
      >> is probably one organized for Montreal - should be happening soon.They
      >> also have a huge list of plant sources for Can, the Us, UK, etc on thier
      >> website.
      >>
      >> Salt Spring Seeds in BC- check out their website - great source of seeds
      >> and info
      >>
      >> Richters Herbs in Ontario
      >>
      >> For nut and fruit trees and small fruits -
      >> 1.Grimo Nut Nursery (Ernie Grimo is great to talk to and a member of
      >> SONG
      >> -Society of Ontario Nut Growers, which has a very strong eastern chapter
      >> that many people from Quebec particpate in)in zone 6 Ont
      >> 2. Rhora's Nut Farm - Charles Rhora can give you good advice on trees
      >> for
      >> your area - he is in zone 4 in Ont
      >> 3.Corn Hill Nursery - out East, I think zone 4- esp good for roses and
      >> rose hips
      >>
      >> I am in zone 5a on Manitoulin Island, Ont and many things do quite well
      >> here. If you need additional info, respond to this posting and I will
      >> try
      >> to help you. I love to talk to people about this stuff. My farm is
      >> slowly
      >> being set up along permaculture lines.
      >>
      >> Manitoulin Mary
      >>

      >> > Hi,
      >>

      >> > In regards to what can be grown in Montreal, where I would love to
      >> visit
      >> > eventually, please check out Johnny's Selected Seeds, Seeds of Change,
      >> > Seedsavers.com, and RainTree Nursery. Look for varieties from Russia
      >> > especially, they will grow well where you live. I have researched
      >> short
      >> > season crops and found that there are a good number of watermelons,
      >> > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
      >> fruit,
      >> > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs
      >> of
      >> > all
      >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without
      >> options.
      >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
      >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
      >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
      >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
      >> >
      >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and
      >> other
      >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
      >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

    • 倩 冯
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2010
        Dear Mary,

        My phone number is 514 4025049

        Christine

        --- 10年3月2日,周二, mwyett@... <mwyett@...> 写道:

        发件人: mwyett@... <mwyett@...>
        主题: Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?
        收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        日期: 2010年3月2日,周二,上午11:53

        Dear Christine,

        I would be pleased to have you visit. Nearby is a relative term in Canada.

        Our 200 acre farm is in the early stages of transition from a traditional

        cow/calf beef farm, which it was for decades before we bought it 2 years

        ago, to a more sustainable organic operation.There is not much to actually

        see just yet, but we do have big plans and are glad to share our knowledge

        and dreams.

        My son will be building a barn and small attached living quarters next

        spring, using cedar logs from our woods and the walls will be made of

        poured adobe -clay from our field and last year's barley straw.He is

        currently living in the old shack that came with the place- really quite

        rough- I'm not sure you would want to stay there. I live for now in a

        nearby village, Mindemoya, until I can get my house built on the farm in a

        couple of years. You can stay at my house, if you wish. I do work (I am a

        small animal veterinarian) , so I would not be home every day.

        Manitoulin Island is very dramatic and beautiful - check out the web to

        see pictures of it. It is still quite wild and sparsely populated. We have

        lots of deer, coyotes, wolves, beaver, sandhill cranes, foxes, etc. Our

        farm is about 1/2 forest and 1/2 fields, with rolling hills and miles of

        old zig-zag cedar split rail fences.

        Our only livestock so far are my daughter's pet chickens - Silkies, a

        Chinese breed. We will be getting more baby chicks in the spring- a

        variety of heritage breeds of chickens, ducks and geese. We plan on using

        draft horses on the farm in a few years.We also have 3 big farm dogs and

        4 house cats.

        The people here are very friendly and I am sure if you visit, there would

        be many folks eager to meet you. We belong to Resilient Manitoulin (we

        have a great website you can read) and the Manitoulin Food Network - all

        like-minded people trying to bring back local small scale organic

        farming.Several of our friends have more operational organic farms on the

        island that you could go visit.

        I have great respect for the concepts of natural farming, but have not

        tried to follow them as of yet. I have for 30 plus years had large organic

        gardens with permanent raised beds and intermingled orchards, raising

        most of my own food, although I have just moved to Manitoulin a few months

        ago and so am having to start over creating gardens.

        I am studying permaculture and plan to transition a large part of the

        farm into a tree/shrub/perennia l -based food and medicine producing

        ecosystem. My son will be starting a CSA operation (community shared

        agriculture, where people pay a yearly fee for a weekly basket of food

        during the growing season) after 1 more year of preparation and I plan

        on growing and selling medicinal herbs and mushrooms eventually.

        If you are willing to take us the way we are (nothing fancy, I assure

        you), we would be glad to have you visit. You may want to wait until the

        snow is gone in the spring, however, depending on your schedule. As soon

        as the ground thaws, we will be planting about 500 trees, getting a well

        dug,putting up a greenhouse, planting a vegetable garden, repairing the

        driveway and digging the foundation for the barn. Lots of things you could

        participate in if you wish. In the early spring, the woods are full of

        wildflowers and many medicinal herbs- and then the thousands of hawthorns

        and wild apples bloom-- truly amazing.

        As to how to get here, taking the bus to Toronto and then to Espanola (via

        Sudbury) is a good idea. It might even be possible for you to go directly

        from Montreal to Sudbury- check with the greyhound bus company on this.

        They can also help you figure out the cost of a ticket. The bus ride from

        Toronto to Espanola is about 7 hours. I'm not sure how long the ride is

        from Montreal to TO. We would have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to pick

        you up in Espanola, which is as close as the bus comes to our remote neck

        of the woods - there isn't even a real bus station there, just what they

        call a flag-stop.We live in the boonies for sure. Thank goodness.

        I think you must be a very brave person to move so far away from your

        original home and start up in a new land. Do you plan to stay in Canada

        long term or just for school? What are you studying? I hope your garden

        plans go well. Is this rented land for just one season or more permanent?

        Let me know if you would like to talk on the phone - I could probably

        answer more of your questions that way. I will be gone for nearly a week

        to a conference starting Wen, so may not answer the chat group stuff for

        awhile.

        Mary

        Dear Mary,

> [...]

        >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without

        >> options.

        >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally

        >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very

        >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how

        >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

        >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and

        >> other

        >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,

        >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

        >> producing

        >> > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

        >> > Cheers!

        >> > Frank

        >> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@

        >> yahoo.com. cn<crystalfengqian% 40yahoo.com. cn>

      • 倩 冯
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 6, 2010
          Dear Friends,

          I am recommending the fukuoka farming to my chinese friends,but most of them don't believe that the output can reach 3000Kg/acre.

          I once read the story of an Indian,this is his website http://www.the-anf.org/
          He says that his output is 33 quintals per acre.(one quintal equals to 100kg,right?)

          I have never been to India and it is  hard for me to go there,so I would like to know your output of rice or wheat per acre.

          Looking forward to your information.

          By the way,I bought the seeds of bean and some dirt which contains compost in home depot,but I couldn't find the red clay.

          Best wishes

          Christine