Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 23, 2010
      Mary,

      Some day I'm going to visit Manitoulin Island. It must be lovely. My
      brother is part of the "Drummond Island Club" which owns 2200 acres on the
      North-east shore of Drummond. Not far from you. Great place to be. My dad
      vacations in Tober Mory, a bit South from you.

      Happy farming!

      Frank

      On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM, <mwyett@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > etc. Most members grow organically.
      > they run the famous Seedy Saturdays - some lectures on
      > gardening/sustainable living but mainly a great big seed swap event. There
      > is probably one organized for Montreal - should be happening soon.They
      > also have a huge list of plant sources for Can, the Us, UK, etc on thier
      > website.
      >
      > Salt Spring Seeds in BC- check out their website - great source of seeds
      > and info
      >
      > Richters Herbs in Ontario
      >
      > For nut and fruit trees and small fruits -
      > 1.Grimo Nut Nursery (Ernie Grimo is great to talk to and a member of SONG
      > -Society of Ontario Nut Growers, which has a very strong eastern chapter
      > that many people from Quebec particpate in)in zone 6 Ont
      > 2. Rhora's Nut Farm - Charles Rhora can give you good advice on trees for
      > your area - he is in zone 4 in Ont
      > 3.Corn Hill Nursery - out East, I think zone 4- esp good for roses and
      > rose hips
      >
      > I am in zone 5a on Manitoulin Island, Ont and many things do quite well
      > here. If you need additional info, respond to this posting and I will try
      > to help you. I love to talk to people about this stuff. My farm is slowly
      > being set up along permaculture lines.
      >
      > Manitoulin Mary
      >

      > > Hi,
      >

      > > In regards to what can be grown in Montreal, where I would love to visit
      > > eventually, please check out Johnny's Selected Seeds, Seeds of Change,
      > > Seedsavers.com, and RainTree Nursery. Look for varieties from Russia
      > > especially, they will grow well where you live. I have researched short
      > > season crops and found that there are a good number of watermelons,
      > > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
      > fruit,
      > > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs of
      > > all
      > > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without options.
      > > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
      > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
      > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
      > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
      > >
      > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
      > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
      > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
      > producing
      > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
      > >
      > > Cheers!
      > >
      > > Frank
      > >
      > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...<crystalfengqian%40yahoo.com.cn>
      > >

      > > wrote:
      > >

      > >> Dear All Friends,
      > >>
      > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
      > >>
      > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

    • ANANTHARAJ COOL
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2010

        Dear All Friends,
        i am anantharj BSC AGRI  fial yerar  lot of intrest in organic farming and cultivation of organic rice  and high dnsity banana planting now mature stage and infornation about  organic farig please see my web
        www.organicananth.blogspot.com ,
        organicananth@...,
        my cell phone; +91 9487269907
          thankyou

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 27, 2010
          Hi Ananthraj,

          Nice to hear that more and more people coming to organic farming..Hope you understand that this list is about natural farming as taught by Fukuoka.

          Where are you located? Are you trying to make a living from farming?

          I am Nandan and has been working in IT field and is interested in natural farming and have my farm in Palakkad,Kerala.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          i am anantharj BSC AGRI  fial yerar  lot of intrest in organic farming and cultivation of organic rice  and high dnsity banana planting now mature stage and infornation about  organic farig please see my web
          www.organicananth. blogspot. com ,
          organicananth@ gmail.com,
          my cell phone; +91 9487269907
            thankyou

          The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo com/

        • Frank McAvinchey
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 27, 2010
            Dear Christine,

            Regarding raspberries, typically, you would purchase plants from a nursery
            that sells raspberry plants. I have not heard of people planting raspberry
            seeds, but that would probably work as well. With seeds, I would think that
            you wouldn't want more than 2-3 seeds per ball. Anyone got any opinions
            about that?

            Frank

            On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
            > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
            > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
            > >
            > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
            > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
            > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
            > producing
            > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
            > >
            > > Cheers!
            > >
            > > Frank
            > >
            > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
            > cn>
            > > wrote:
            > >

            > >> Dear All Friends,
            > >>
            > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
            > >>
            > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

          • 倩 冯
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
              Dear Frank,

              About making the seedballs,is it very difficult and costs lots of time?How many balls or seeds do I need to buy for my 100M2 land?

              Is there someone near Montreal,I would like to visit his farm and help for free!!!

              Best regards,

              Christine

              --- 10年2月28日,周日, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...> 写道:

              发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
              主题: Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?
              收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              日期: 2010年2月28日,周日,上午9:35

              On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com. cn> wrote:

> [...]
              > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
              > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
              > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
              > >
              > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
              > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
              > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
              > producing
              > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
              > >
              > > Cheers!
              > >
              > > Frank
              > >
              > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
              > cn>
              > > wrote:
              > >

              > >> Dear All Friends,
              > >>
              > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
              > >>
              > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

            • Pietro
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                I don't think you can buy seedballs. I think most people make
                their own.

                I usually do 5 parts of clay, 3 parts of earth or compost, 1 part of seeds, and water. I think you are supposed to put 2 parts of water, but since I make them automatically using the machine to make cement, I just keep on adding water slowly until they start to form into balls. The more water I put the bigger the average ball is. If I put too much water I get 1 BIIIG BALL :-) It happened :-).

                I heard some people thinking about making something that could run with a bike. I have some doubts on that. The problem is that it takes ages for the balls to form. I usually put everything in in the morning, and then I go working, while the thing is turning. Every time I feel like having a break, I go down, take away the biggest ball that has formed, add some water if it is needed, and then go back to work. Considering that it takes hours for the work to be completed, I would not suggest a manual system.

                Usually people who do it manually do it by making the balls with their hand manually.

                To answer the other question... I don't know how many seed you put per ball, the idea is: first you mix the earth and the (powdered) clay, and the seeds. Once the thing is homogeneus, you add water and make it into balls. You don't make a ball and then add the seeds inside :-)
              • fdnokes@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                  How close do you mean?

                  frances

                  发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
> [...]

                  > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                  > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                  > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                  > >
                  > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                  > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                  > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
                  > producing
                  > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers!
                  > >
                  > > Frank
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
                  > cn>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> Dear All Friends,
                  > >>
                  > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
                  > >>
                  > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                • 倩 冯
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                    How close?The closer the better.For me ,the best is I could find someone in Montreal,but if not,I hope I could find someone in Toronto,or Quebec city....I don't have so much money

                    Christine

                    --- 10年3月1日,周一, fdnokes@... <fdnokes@...> 写道:

                    发件人: fdnokes@... <fdnokes@...>
                    收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                    日期: 2010年3月1日,周一,上午3:23

                    How close do you mean?

                    frances

                    --- 10年2月28日,周日, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@gmail. com> 写道:

                    发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@gmail. com>

> [...]

                    > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very

                    > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how

                    > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

                    > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other

                    > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,

                    > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                    > producing

                    > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

                    > > Cheers!

                    > > Frank

                    > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.

                    > cn>

                    > > wrote:

                    > >> Dear All Friends,

                    > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?

                    > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                  • Frank McAvinchey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                      Dear Christine,

                      The easiest way to make seed balls, is to make a wooden frame and attach 1"
                      chicken wire. Then, mix your seeds with clay, MUCH more clay than seeds as
                      you don't want too many seeds in one spot. Then, take the clay and make it
                      into a 1" thick loaf, as large in diameter as you want, and press it through
                      the chicken wire mesh, to drop onto a tarp below. You might find it
                      difficult to find clay in Montreal at this time of year, no? Perhaps you
                      could use potter's clay, but mix it with some nutrients, say composted cow
                      manure, or rabbit manure, or blood meal, etc., to make it more fertile.
                      When you have a nice pile of little lumps, put them in a large salad bowl,
                      or other really large roundish container, and roll them around until they
                      are roundish. Then let them dry, and when you want, broadcast them on the
                      area where you want them to grow. That's it. If you put them on thickly
                      enough, they will do a fair job of drowning out the competition. Understand
                      that this info I'm offering has been cleaned from the other members of this
                      group, not from personal experience. I hope to put this into action this
                      Spring here in Cincinnati. Good luck, my friend!

                      Frank

                      On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
                      > > fruit,
                      > > > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs
                      > of
                      > > > all
                      > > > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without
                      > options.
                      > > > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
                      > > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                      > > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                      > > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                      > > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                      > > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                    • 倩 冯
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1 4:42 PM
                        Dear Mary,

                        Can you estimate that how much it will cost for me to arrange a trip to your island from Montreal?Maybe I can go to Toronto by bus which will be not expensive because I will share the expense with other people.

                        How many hours will it take on the road?

                        I am now studying in Montreal,so I don't  have so much money and time.But I will try my best to have a week's time if I  could have the opportunity to visit your farm and learn from you.

                        Best wishes,

                        Christine

                        --- 10年2月24日,周三, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...> 写道:

                        发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
                        收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                        日期: 2010年2月24日,周三,下午2:03

                      • mwyett@amtelecom.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1 7:53 PM
                          Dear Christine,

                          I would be pleased to have you visit. Nearby is a relative term in Canada.
                          Our 200 acre farm is in the early stages of transition from a traditional
                          cow/calf beef farm, which it was for decades before we bought it 2 years
                          ago, to a more sustainable organic operation.There is not much to actually
                          see just yet, but we do have big plans and are glad to share our knowledge
                          and dreams.

                          My son will be building a barn and small attached living quarters next
                          spring, using cedar logs from our woods and the walls will be made of
                          poured adobe -clay from our field and last year's barley straw.He is
                          currently living in the old shack that came with the place- really quite
                          rough- I'm not sure you would want to stay there. I live for now in a
                          nearby village, Mindemoya, until I can get my house built on the farm in a
                          couple of years. You can stay at my house, if you wish. I do work (I am a
                          small animal veterinarian), so I would not be home every day.

                          Manitoulin Island is very dramatic and beautiful - check out the web to
                          see pictures of it. It is still quite wild and sparsely populated. We have
                          lots of deer, coyotes, wolves, beaver, sandhill cranes, foxes, etc. Our
                          farm is about 1/2 forest and 1/2 fields, with rolling hills and miles of
                          old zig-zag cedar split rail fences.

                          Our only livestock so far are my daughter's pet chickens - Silkies, a
                          Chinese breed. We will be getting more baby chicks in the spring- a
                          variety of heritage breeds of chickens, ducks and geese. We plan on using
                          draft horses on the farm in a few years.We also have 3 big farm dogs and
                          4 house cats.

                          The people here are very friendly and I am sure if you visit, there would
                          be many folks eager to meet you. We belong to Resilient Manitoulin (we
                          have a great website you can read) and the Manitoulin Food Network - all
                          like-minded people trying to bring back local small scale organic
                          farming.Several of our friends have more operational organic farms on the
                          island that you could go visit.

                          I have great respect for the concepts of natural farming, but have not
                          tried to follow them as of yet. I have for 30 plus years had large organic
                          gardens with permanent raised beds and intermingled orchards, raising
                          most of my own food, although I have just moved to Manitoulin a few months
                          ago and so am having to start over creating gardens.

                          I am studying permaculture and plan to transition a large part of the
                          farm into a tree/shrub/perennial -based food and medicine producing
                          ecosystem. My son will be starting a CSA operation (community shared
                          agriculture, where people pay a yearly fee for a weekly basket of food
                          during the growing season) after 1 more year of preparation and I plan
                          on growing and selling medicinal herbs and mushrooms eventually.

                          If you are willing to take us the way we are (nothing fancy, I assure
                          you), we would be glad to have you visit. You may want to wait until the
                          snow is gone in the spring, however, depending on your schedule. As soon
                          as the ground thaws, we will be planting about 500 trees, getting a well
                          dug,putting up a greenhouse, planting a vegetable garden, repairing the
                          driveway and digging the foundation for the barn. Lots of things you could
                          participate in if you wish. In the early spring, the woods are full of
                          wildflowers and many medicinal herbs- and then the thousands of hawthorns
                          and wild apples bloom-- truly amazing.

                          As to how to get here, taking the bus to Toronto and then to Espanola (via
                          Sudbury) is a good idea. It might even be possible for you to go directly
                          from Montreal to Sudbury- check with the greyhound bus company on this.
                          They can also help you figure out the cost of a ticket. The bus ride from
                          Toronto to Espanola is about 7 hours. I'm not sure how long the ride is
                          from Montreal to TO. We would have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to pick
                          you up in Espanola, which is as close as the bus comes to our remote neck
                          of the woods - there isn't even a real bus station there, just what they
                          call a flag-stop.We live in the boonies for sure. Thank goodness.

                          I think you must be a very brave person to move so far away from your
                          original home and start up in a new land. Do you plan to stay in Canada
                          long term or just for school? What are you studying? I hope your garden
                          plans go well. Is this rented land for just one season or more permanent?
                          Let me know if you would like to talk on the phone - I could probably
                          answer more of your questions that way. I will be gone for nearly a week
                          to a conference starting Wen, so may not answer the chat group stuff for
                          awhile.

                          Mary

                        • mwyett@amtelecom.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 1 8:47 PM
                            Dear Frank,
                            If you get up my way , please come see my farm.We could put you up over
                            night if primitive conditions don't scare you. the farm is only 15 min
                            from the South Bay ferry terminal- on the south end of the island where
                            the good land is. Lots of exciting things to see and talk about.

                            mary

> [...]
                            >> > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
                            >> fruit,
                            >> > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs
                            >> of
                            >> > all
                            >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without
                            >> options.
                            >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
                            >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                            >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                            >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                            >> >
                            >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and
                            >> other
                            >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                            >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                          • 倩 冯
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2 2:17 PM
                              Dear Mary,

                              My phone number is 514 4025049

                              Christine

                              --- 10年3月2日,周二, mwyett@... <mwyett@...> 写道:

                              发件人: mwyett@... <mwyett@...>
                              收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                              日期: 2010年3月2日,周二,上午11:53

> [...]

                              >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without

                              >> options.

                              >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally

                              >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very

                              >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how

                              >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

                              >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and

                              >> other

                              >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,

                              >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                              >> producing

                              >> > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

                              >> > Cheers!

                              >> > Frank

                              >> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@

                              >> yahoo.com. cn<crystalfengqian% 40yahoo.com. cn>

                            • 倩 冯
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 6 11:26 AM
                                Dear Friends,

                                I am recommending the fukuoka farming to my chinese friends,but most of them don't believe that the output can reach 3000Kg/acre.

                                I once read the story of an Indian,this is his website http://www.the-anf.org/
                                He says that his output is 33 quintals per acre.(one quintal equals to 100kg,right?)

                                I have never been to India and it is  hard for me to go there,so I would like to know your output of rice or wheat per acre.

                                Looking forward to your information.

                                By the way,I bought the seeds of bean and some dirt which contains compost in home depot,but I couldn't find the red clay.

                                Best wishes

                                Christine