What can I plant in Montreal?

  • 倩 冯
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 22, 2010
      Dear All Friends,

      I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?

      By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

      Thanks

      Christine

    • Frank McAvinchey
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 23, 2010
        Hi,

        In regards to what can be grown in Montreal, where I would love to visit
        eventually, please check out Johnny's Selected Seeds, Seeds of Change,
        Seedsavers.com, and RainTree Nursery. Look for varieties from Russia
        especially, they will grow well where you live. I have researched short
        season crops and found that there are a good number of watermelons,
        corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi fruit,
        apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs of all
        sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without options.
        I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
        from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
        successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
        things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

        I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
        livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
        rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while producing
        all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

        Cheers!

        Frank

      • mwyett@amtelecom.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 23, 2010
          Dear Christine,

          Check out these Canadian sources -

          Seeds of Diversity -- a must. I am a member and many people in it are
          from Quebec- all their publications are fully bilingual. Dedicated to
          preservation of heritage seeds of veg, fruit, tree, grain,herb,flowers,
          etc. Most members grow organically.
          they run the famous Seedy Saturdays - some lectures on
          gardening/sustainable living but mainly a great big seed swap event. There
          is probably one organized for Montreal - should be happening soon.They
          also have a huge list of plant sources for Can, the Us, UK, etc on thier
          website.

          Salt Spring Seeds in BC- check out their website - great source of seeds
          and info

          Richters Herbs in Ontario

          For nut and fruit trees and small fruits -
          1.Grimo Nut Nursery (Ernie Grimo is great to talk to and a member of SONG
          -Society of Ontario Nut Growers, which has a very strong eastern chapter
          that many people from Quebec particpate in)in zone 6 Ont
          2. Rhora's Nut Farm - Charles Rhora can give you good advice on trees for
          your area - he is in zone 4 in Ont
          3.Corn Hill Nursery - out East, I think zone 4- esp good for roses and
          rose hips

          I am in zone 5a on Manitoulin Island, Ont and many things do quite well
          here. If you need additional info, respond to this posting and I will try
          to help you. I love to talk to people about this stuff. My farm is slowly
          being set up along permaculture lines.

          Manitoulin Mary

          > Hi,

          > In regards to what can be grown in Montreal, where I would love to visit
          > eventually, please check out Johnny's Selected Seeds, Seeds of Change,
          > Seedsavers.com, and RainTree Nursery. Look for varieties from Russia
          > especially, they will grow well where you live. I have researched short
          > season crops and found that there are a good number of watermelons,
          > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi fruit,
          > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs of
          > all
          > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without options.
          > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
          > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
          > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
          > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
          >
          > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
          > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
          > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while producing
          > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > Frank
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> Dear All Friends,
          >>
          >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
          >>
          >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>
          >> Christine

        • Frank McAvinchey
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 23, 2010
            Mary,

            Some day I'm going to visit Manitoulin Island. It must be lovely. My
            brother is part of the "Drummond Island Club" which owns 2200 acres on the
            North-east shore of Drummond. Not far from you. Great place to be. My dad
            vacations in Tober Mory, a bit South from you.

            Happy farming!

            Frank

            On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM, <mwyett@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
            > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
            > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
            > >
            > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
            > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
            > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
            > producing
            > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
            > >
            > > Cheers!
            > >
            > > Frank
            > >
            > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...<crystalfengqian%40yahoo.com.cn>
            > >

            > > wrote:
            > >

            > >> Dear All Friends,
            > >>
            > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
            > >>
            > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

          • 倩 冯
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2010
              Dear Mary and Frank,

              Thanks a lot for your useful information.
              I am a chinese immigrant in Montreal.I have been in Canada for just 7 months.I am thinking about buying some organic seeds for my 100M2 farm.I have no experience in farming,but I would like to rent or have a farm to feed myself and more people in hungry.If you are close to me ,I would like to visit your farms,and to learn from you.

              Have you done fukuoka farming already?How do you do that ?

              For example,if I want to plant raspberry in montreal,just mix the seeds of raspberry and the clay to make small balls,and then throw them on my field.Just this,right?

              Best wishes,

              Christine
              --- 10年2月24日,周三, mwyett@... <mwyett@...> 写道:

              发件人: mwyett@... <mwyett@...>
              主题: Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?
              收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              日期: 2010年2月24日,周三,上午3:11

> [...]

              > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
              > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
              > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
              >
              > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
              > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
              > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while producing
              > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Frank
              >
              > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com. cn>
              > wrote:
              >

              >> Dear All Friends,
              >>
              >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
              >>
              >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

            • ANANTHARAJ COOL
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2010

                Dear All Friends,
                i am anantharj BSC AGRI  fial yerar  lot of intrest in organic farming and cultivation of organic rice  and high dnsity banana planting now mature stage and infornation about  organic farig please see my web
                www.organicananth.blogspot.com ,
                organicananth@...,
                my cell phone; +91 9487269907
                  thankyou

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 27, 2010
                  Hi Ananthraj,

                  Nice to hear that more and more people coming to organic farming..Hope you understand that this list is about natural farming as taught by Fukuoka.

                  Where are you located? Are you trying to make a living from farming?

                  I am Nandan and has been working in IT field and is interested in natural farming and have my farm in Palakkad,Kerala.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                  i am anantharj BSC AGRI  fial yerar  lot of intrest in organic farming and cultivation of organic rice  and high dnsity banana planting now mature stage and infornation about  organic farig please see my web
                  www.organicananth. blogspot. com ,
                  organicananth@ gmail.com,
                  my cell phone; +91 9487269907
                    thankyou

                  The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo com/

                • Frank McAvinchey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Dear Christine,

                    Regarding raspberries, typically, you would purchase plants from a nursery
                    that sells raspberry plants. I have not heard of people planting raspberry
                    seeds, but that would probably work as well. With seeds, I would think that
                    you wouldn't want more than 2-3 seeds per ball. Anyone got any opinions
                    about that?

                    Frank

                    On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                    > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                    > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                    > >
                    > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                    > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                    > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
                    > producing
                    > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers!
                    > >
                    > > Frank
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
                    > cn>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> Dear All Friends,
                    > >>
                    > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
                    > >>
                    > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                  • 倩 冯
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                      Dear Frank,

                      About making the seedballs,is it very difficult and costs lots of time?How many balls or seeds do I need to buy for my 100M2 land?

                      Is there someone near Montreal,I would like to visit his farm and help for free!!!

                      Best regards,

                      Christine

                      --- 10年2月28日,周日, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...> 写道:

                      发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
                      收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                      日期: 2010年2月28日,周日,上午9:35

                      On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com. cn> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                      > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                      > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                      > >
                      > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                      > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                      > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
                      > producing
                      > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers!
                      > >
                      > > Frank
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
                      > cn>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Dear All Friends,
                      > >>
                      > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
                      > >>
                      > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                    • Pietro
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                        I don't think you can buy seedballs. I think most people make
                        their own.

                        I usually do 5 parts of clay, 3 parts of earth or compost, 1 part of seeds, and water. I think you are supposed to put 2 parts of water, but since I make them automatically using the machine to make cement, I just keep on adding water slowly until they start to form into balls. The more water I put the bigger the average ball is. If I put too much water I get 1 BIIIG BALL :-) It happened :-).

                        I heard some people thinking about making something that could run with a bike. I have some doubts on that. The problem is that it takes ages for the balls to form. I usually put everything in in the morning, and then I go working, while the thing is turning. Every time I feel like having a break, I go down, take away the biggest ball that has formed, add some water if it is needed, and then go back to work. Considering that it takes hours for the work to be completed, I would not suggest a manual system.

                        Usually people who do it manually do it by making the balls with their hand manually.

                        To answer the other question... I don't know how many seed you put per ball, the idea is: first you mix the earth and the (powdered) clay, and the seeds. Once the thing is homogeneus, you add water and make it into balls. You don't make a ball and then add the seeds inside :-)
                      • fdnokes@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                          How close do you mean?

                          frances

                          发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
> [...]

                          > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                          > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                          > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                          > >
                          > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                          > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                          > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while
                          > producing
                          > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers!
                          > >
                          > > Frank
                          > >
                          > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.
                          > cn>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> Dear All Friends,
                          > >>
                          > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?
                          > >>
                          > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                        • 倩 冯
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                            How close?The closer the better.For me ,the best is I could find someone in Montreal,but if not,I hope I could find someone in Toronto,or Quebec city....I don't have so much money

                            Christine

                            --- 10年3月1日,周一, fdnokes@... <fdnokes@...> 写道:

                            发件人: fdnokes@... <fdnokes@...>
                            收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                            日期: 2010年3月1日,周一,上午3:23

                            How close do you mean?

                            frances

                            --- 10年2月28日,周日, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@gmail. com> 写道:

                            发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@gmail. com>

> [...]

                            > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very

                            > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how

                            > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

                            > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other

                            > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,

                            > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                            > producing

                            > > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

                            > > Cheers!

                            > > Frank

                            > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@ yahoo.com.

                            > cn>

                            > > wrote:

                            > >> Dear All Friends,

                            > >> I will rent a small land of 100M2,what can I plant in montreal?

                            > >> By the way,is there somebody in Montreal or in the province of Quebec?

                          • Frank McAvinchey
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2010
                              Dear Christine,

                              The easiest way to make seed balls, is to make a wooden frame and attach 1"
                              chicken wire. Then, mix your seeds with clay, MUCH more clay than seeds as
                              you don't want too many seeds in one spot. Then, take the clay and make it
                              into a 1" thick loaf, as large in diameter as you want, and press it through
                              the chicken wire mesh, to drop onto a tarp below. You might find it
                              difficult to find clay in Montreal at this time of year, no? Perhaps you
                              could use potter's clay, but mix it with some nutrients, say composted cow
                              manure, or rabbit manure, or blood meal, etc., to make it more fertile.
                              When you have a nice pile of little lumps, put them in a large salad bowl,
                              or other really large roundish container, and roll them around until they
                              are roundish. Then let them dry, and when you want, broadcast them on the
                              area where you want them to grow. That's it. If you put them on thickly
                              enough, they will do a fair job of drowning out the competition. Understand
                              that this info I'm offering has been cleaned from the other members of this
                              group, not from personal experience. I hope to put this into action this
                              Spring here in Cincinnati. Good luck, my friend!

                              Frank

                              On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
                              > > fruit,
                              > > > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs
                              > of
                              > > > all
                              > > > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without
                              > options.
                              > > > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
                              > > > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                              > > > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                              > > > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and other
                              > > > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                              > > > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                            • 倩 冯
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
                                Dear Mary,

                                Can you estimate that how much it will cost for me to arrange a trip to your island from Montreal?Maybe I can go to Toronto by bus which will be not expensive because I will share the expense with other people.

                                How many hours will it take on the road?

                                I am now studying in Montreal,so I don't  have so much money and time.But I will try my best to have a week's time if I  could have the opportunity to visit your farm and learn from you.

                                Best wishes,

                                Christine

                                --- 10年2月24日,周三, Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...> 写道:

                                发件人: Frank McAvinchey <fmcavin@...>
                                收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                                日期: 2010年2月24日,周三,下午2:03

                              • mwyett@amtelecom.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
                                  Dear Christine,

                                  I would be pleased to have you visit. Nearby is a relative term in Canada.
                                  Our 200 acre farm is in the early stages of transition from a traditional
                                  cow/calf beef farm, which it was for decades before we bought it 2 years
                                  ago, to a more sustainable organic operation.There is not much to actually
                                  see just yet, but we do have big plans and are glad to share our knowledge
                                  and dreams.

                                  My son will be building a barn and small attached living quarters next
                                  spring, using cedar logs from our woods and the walls will be made of
                                  poured adobe -clay from our field and last year's barley straw.He is
                                  currently living in the old shack that came with the place- really quite
                                  rough- I'm not sure you would want to stay there. I live for now in a
                                  nearby village, Mindemoya, until I can get my house built on the farm in a
                                  couple of years. You can stay at my house, if you wish. I do work (I am a
                                  small animal veterinarian), so I would not be home every day.

                                  Manitoulin Island is very dramatic and beautiful - check out the web to
                                  see pictures of it. It is still quite wild and sparsely populated. We have
                                  lots of deer, coyotes, wolves, beaver, sandhill cranes, foxes, etc. Our
                                  farm is about 1/2 forest and 1/2 fields, with rolling hills and miles of
                                  old zig-zag cedar split rail fences.

                                  Our only livestock so far are my daughter's pet chickens - Silkies, a
                                  Chinese breed. We will be getting more baby chicks in the spring- a
                                  variety of heritage breeds of chickens, ducks and geese. We plan on using
                                  draft horses on the farm in a few years.We also have 3 big farm dogs and
                                  4 house cats.

                                  The people here are very friendly and I am sure if you visit, there would
                                  be many folks eager to meet you. We belong to Resilient Manitoulin (we
                                  have a great website you can read) and the Manitoulin Food Network - all
                                  like-minded people trying to bring back local small scale organic
                                  farming.Several of our friends have more operational organic farms on the
                                  island that you could go visit.

                                  I have great respect for the concepts of natural farming, but have not
                                  tried to follow them as of yet. I have for 30 plus years had large organic
                                  gardens with permanent raised beds and intermingled orchards, raising
                                  most of my own food, although I have just moved to Manitoulin a few months
                                  ago and so am having to start over creating gardens.

                                  I am studying permaculture and plan to transition a large part of the
                                  farm into a tree/shrub/perennial -based food and medicine producing
                                  ecosystem. My son will be starting a CSA operation (community shared
                                  agriculture, where people pay a yearly fee for a weekly basket of food
                                  during the growing season) after 1 more year of preparation and I plan
                                  on growing and selling medicinal herbs and mushrooms eventually.

                                  If you are willing to take us the way we are (nothing fancy, I assure
                                  you), we would be glad to have you visit. You may want to wait until the
                                  snow is gone in the spring, however, depending on your schedule. As soon
                                  as the ground thaws, we will be planting about 500 trees, getting a well
                                  dug,putting up a greenhouse, planting a vegetable garden, repairing the
                                  driveway and digging the foundation for the barn. Lots of things you could
                                  participate in if you wish. In the early spring, the woods are full of
                                  wildflowers and many medicinal herbs- and then the thousands of hawthorns
                                  and wild apples bloom-- truly amazing.

                                  As to how to get here, taking the bus to Toronto and then to Espanola (via
                                  Sudbury) is a good idea. It might even be possible for you to go directly
                                  from Montreal to Sudbury- check with the greyhound bus company on this.
                                  They can also help you figure out the cost of a ticket. The bus ride from
                                  Toronto to Espanola is about 7 hours. I'm not sure how long the ride is
                                  from Montreal to TO. We would have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to pick
                                  you up in Espanola, which is as close as the bus comes to our remote neck
                                  of the woods - there isn't even a real bus station there, just what they
                                  call a flag-stop.We live in the boonies for sure. Thank goodness.

                                  I think you must be a very brave person to move so far away from your
                                  original home and start up in a new land. Do you plan to stay in Canada
                                  long term or just for school? What are you studying? I hope your garden
                                  plans go well. Is this rented land for just one season or more permanent?
                                  Let me know if you would like to talk on the phone - I could probably
                                  answer more of your questions that way. I will be gone for nearly a week
                                  to a conference starting Wen, so may not answer the chat group stuff for
                                  awhile.

                                  Mary

                                • mwyett@amtelecom.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 1, 2010
                                    Dear Frank,
                                    If you get up my way , please come see my farm.We could put you up over
                                    night if primitive conditions don't scare you. the farm is only 15 min
                                    from the South Bay ferry terminal- on the south end of the island where
                                    the good land is. Lots of exciting things to see and talk about.

                                    mary

> [...]
                                    >> > corn/maize, tomatoes, cabbage/mustard family plants, potatoes, kiwi
                                    >> fruit,
                                    >> > apples, nut trees, plums, peaches, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, herbs
                                    >> of
                                    >> > all
                                    >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without
                                    >> options.
                                    >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally
                                    >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very
                                    >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how
                                    >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and
                                    >> other
                                    >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,
                                    >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                                  • 倩 冯
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 2, 2010
                                      Dear Mary,

                                      My phone number is 514 4025049

                                      Christine

                                      --- 10年3月2日,周二, mwyett@... <mwyett@...> 写道:

                                      发件人: mwyett@... <mwyett@...>
                                      收件人: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                                      日期: 2010年3月2日,周二,上午11:53

> [...]

                                      >> > sorts, berries, and many, many more options. You are NOT without

                                      >> options.

                                      >> > I think you must be in zone 5, or 4. I'm in zone 6, but I'm originally

                                      >> > from Michigan, and we always had an enormous garden, which was very

                                      >> > successful. You CAN feed yourself. It will be interesting to see how

                                      >> > things pan out for you in your climate using the Fukuoka methods.

                                      >> > I'm presently trying to figure out how to raise enough grains and

                                      >> other

                                      >> > livestock foods on very small acreage to supply the needs of chickens,

                                      >> > rabbits, goats, small cattle varieties, and other poultry, while

                                      >> producing

                                      >> > all our own vegies. It's a challenge.

                                      >> > Cheers!

                                      >> > Frank

                                      >> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, 倩 冯 <crystalfengqian@

                                      >> yahoo.com. cn<crystalfengqian% 40yahoo.com. cn>

                                    • 倩 冯
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 6, 2010
                                        Dear Friends,

                                        I am recommending the fukuoka farming to my chinese friends,but most of them don't believe that the output can reach 3000Kg/acre.

                                        I once read the story of an Indian,this is his website http://www.the-anf.org/
                                        He says that his output is 33 quintals per acre.(one quintal equals to 100kg,right?)

                                        I have never been to India and it is  hard for me to go there,so I would like to know your output of rice or wheat per acre.

                                        Looking forward to your information.

                                        By the way,I bought the seeds of bean and some dirt which contains compost in home depot,but I couldn't find the red clay.

                                        Best wishes

                                        Christine