is "Fire Clay" ok for seed balls?

  • Pietro
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2010
      Hello everybody.

      I am trying to get some seedballs. I would like to do them automatically so I bought a concrete mixer like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ConcreteMixer4.JPG
      took away the metal bars inside.

      Now I need red clay powder, earth, seeds and water.

      And here comes the problem, because I am having a hard time in finding the clay. A friend found me a place where they sell some powder clay.

      But the problem is that the "argila is«refractaria»".

      I went to see what it means and essentially the english word is "fireclay".
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_clay
      They use it for ceramics and fire bricks.
      http://www.vitcas.com/refractory-bricks

      So now I am wondering, should I try it? Do we know if it could possibly work?

      Many thanks,
      Pietro
    • sicharlia
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2010
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Pietro" <2009@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody.
        >
        > I am trying to get some seedballs. I would like to do them automatically so I bought a concrete mixer like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ConcreteMixer4.JPG
        > took away the metal bars inside.
        >
        > Now I need red clay powder, earth, seeds and water.
        >
        > And here comes the problem, because I am having a hard time in finding the clay. A friend found me a place where they sell some powder clay.
        >
        > But the problem is that the "argila is«refractaria»".
        >
        > I went to see what it means and essentially the english word is "fireclay".
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_clay
        > They use it for ceramics and fire bricks.
        > http://www.vitcas.com/refractory-bricks
        >
        > So now I am wondering, should I try it? Do we know if it could possibly work?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Pietro

        Hi Pietro,

        there is an article on clay ball by Milkwood permaculture farm in NSW in Australia has some very good links you may find useful.

        cheers
        Charlie

        http://www.milkwood.net/content/view/90/49/#pc_571