Re: Fukuoka influence in the city. It can be a one straw revolution

  • Travis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2010
      Hi there.I'll try to answer your questions:

      - Tomato transplanting can be tricky. I will typically wait until the 3rd week of May, but that can be too early. I'll cover the tomatoes with blankets if there is a risk of frost.
      - The clay soil is the same in Winnipeg (Red River Valley). I think that by letting the dead matter sit from year to year, you essentially build a raised bed. It takes time. Nothing (leaves, clippings,etc) leaves the yard in garbage bags. I do compost winter waste in an electric composter (go figure. It's called the Nature Mill).All that ends up in the beds, so I do have an abundance of matter which helps aerate the soil. I also found that if you leave the soil unturned, earthworms seem to arrive in large amounts.
      - As far as beans go, I just use an heiloom variety from a local garden center. The peas are ones with edible pods. They will die off after 3-4 weeks of production, so I reseed every 2-3 weeks in the summer. This guaranteees fresh peas all summer. The beans and peas end up side by side with tomatoes and squash in no particular set pattern. The tomatoes are able to use the nitrogen generated from the peas, beans and clover. No fertilizer required.
      - The clover will grow up to about 8 inches, but you can cut it back. It just grows back again. The clover in the lawn tends to grow slower than the grass itself.
      - I don't have any photos, but I will take some this year. By the way, if you have mosquito issues like us, plant marigold flowers in among the garden. The mosquitoes don't like it.

      Good luck. Just plant. Something will grow. Or do as fukuoka says.Throw a bunch of seeds and see what comes up. Have fun.