Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fukuoka influence in the city. It can be a one straw revolution

  • Steve Grannis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
      Very well said. Can you relate a more detailed description of your experience. I would be interested in your methods for carrots in particular because this is one crop I have difficulty with. I've had success with the other crops. The Forest is for-rest, Thank you, Steve G

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
        I, too, being originally from Winnipeg myself, and now living on the west coast, would love to know the history of your experience!
        Congratulations,
        Frances

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
          I would also love to hear about your experience applying Fukuoka's
          methods to a suburban environment. We also have a small suburban lot in
          Toronto, Canada (66 X 125 foot) which we are working towards converting
          to fruit/vegetable production using Fukuoka's ideas.

          What are some of the challenges you've faced and how did you overcome them?

          Natalie

          cywgcyyc2005 wrote:
          > I live in the city of Winnipeg in Canada. I have the typical suburban home with a 44x125 foot lot. I never thought much about farming, or sustainability in general, until I rented the one straw revolution. The book really challenges the whole notion of where food comes from, how we grow it, and how we live. I decided that I would simply start in my yard using some of the techniques offered by Fukuoka. It has taken 2 seasons to get my bearings, but, it has managed to save me money and make my yard FEEL beautiful. I have less than half the grass than I used to and was able to grow over 500 lbs of vegetables (squash, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beans, peas, herbs) without tilling the soil.It's wonderful. It all grows in among beds of white dutch clover.In fact, I am making some homemade tomato soup for lunch. Mr Fukuoka's methods can be employed even on the smallest tracts of land. If our cities could employ these techniques on vacant lands (like Havana), we could really star
          t a revolution. Movies like "Food, inc" can help us send the message of sustainability which, I believe, is at the heart of Fukuoka's teachings. Thank you Mr. Fukuoka, rest in peace.
        • Travis
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
            As far as my history, I saw the book one day at the library in River Heights and it captivated me right away. The first year, I actually had an inground pool put in for the kids and really only needed to maintain the perimeter of the yard. Instead of rock and inedible plants, I chose to lay topsoil and seed dutch clover into it. I seeded in the late summer to mimic the natural pattern of the flowering. In the early spring, I overseeded and had a good start on the ground cover. I then broadcast peas, beans, carrots and radish ( I cheated a bit by soaking the seeds for a few days). After broadcasting the seed, I used a push mower to cut the clover and allow the seeds to germinate and grow slightly ahead of the clover.I then transplanted tomatoes and squash into the mix with very little soil disturbance (You have to transplant tomatoes and squash in Winnipeg because of the short frost free season). It grew very well. Last year I expanded into my front yard and have a beautiful lawn of clover and grass seed. The grass clippings are mulched into the other areas of the yard. Every year I plan to cut into the grass a bit more until the yard is dedicated to food. I have blueberries, nanking cherries, strawberries and grapes as well. It's really alot of fun and not a bunch of maintenence. I think the neighbours are liking it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
              As far as my history, I saw the book one day at the library in River Heights and it captivated me right away. The first year, I actually had an inground pool put in for the kids and really only needed to maintain the perimeter of the yard. Instead of rock and inedible plants, I chose to lay topsoil and seed dutch clover into it. I seeded in the late summer to mimic the natural pattern of the flowering. In the early spring, I overseeded and had a good start on the ground cover. I then broadcast peas, beans, carrots and radish ( I cheated a bit by soaking the seeds for a few days). After broadcasting the seed, I used a push mower to cut the clover and allow the seeds to germinate and grow slightly ahead of the clover.I then transplanted tomatoes and squash into the mix with very little soil disturbance (You have to transplant tomatoes and squash in Winnipeg because of the short frost free season). It grew very well. Last year I expanded into my front yard and have a beautiful lawn of clover and grass seed. The grass clippings are mulched into the other areas of the yard. Every year I plan to cut into the grass a bit more until the yard is dedicated to food. I have blueberries, nanking cherries, strawberries and grapes as well. It's really alot of fun and not a bunch of maintenence. I think the neighbours are liking it.

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, <fdnokes@...> wrote:

              > I, too, being originally from Winnipeg myself, and now living on the west coast, would love to know the history of your experience!
              > Congratulations,
              > Frances

            • shultonus
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
                Hey!!

                Someone I can relate to!!!!!

                I'm in Fargo, ND, about 3 hours (by car) south.
                The problems I see is the heavy clay
                and early spring cool soil?

                How early are you able to transplant your tomatoes?

                What kind of beans are best for you?

                How tall did your clover get>>>
                Could you send me a picture
                shultonus@...

                also what kind of peas grow good for you,
                most of mine die by end middle of June...
                I know in my dad's garden .. wheat straw is doing really
                good to the soil.... but still need to sweep it off in the spring
                otherwise the frost doesn't come out until mid June

                thanks

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "cywgcyyc2005" <cywgcyyc2005@...> wrote:

                > I live in the city of Winnipeg in Canada. I have the typical suburban home with a 44x125 foot lot. I never thought much about farming, or sustainability in general, until I rented the one straw revolution. The book really challenges the whole notion of where food comes from, how we grow it, and how we live. I decided that I would simply start in my yard using some of the techniques offered by Fukuoka. It has taken 2 seasons to get my bearings, but, it has managed to save me money and make my yard FEEL beautiful. I have less than half the grass than I used to and was able to grow over 500 lbs of vegetables (squash, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beans, peas, herbs) without tilling the soil.It's wonderful. It all grows in among beds of white dutch clover.In fact, I am making some homemade tomato soup for lunch. Mr Fukuoka's methods can be employed even on the smallest tracts of land. If our cities could employ these techniques on vacant lands (like Havana), we could really start a revolution. Movies like "Food, inc" can help us send the message of sustainability which, I believe, is at the heart of Fukuoka's teachings. Thank you Mr. Fukuoka, rest in peace.

              • Jason
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2010
                  Thanks Travis

                  Excellent!

                  Thanks for doing this natural farming on a small block in the city, and writing this up, here!

                  Jase (in Oz)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2010
                    Hi there.I'll try to answer your questions:

                    - Tomato transplanting can be tricky. I will typically wait until the 3rd week of May, but that can be too early. I'll cover the tomatoes with blankets if there is a risk of frost.
                    - The clay soil is the same in Winnipeg (Red River Valley). I think that by letting the dead matter sit from year to year, you essentially build a raised bed. It takes time. Nothing (leaves, clippings,etc) leaves the yard in garbage bags. I do compost winter waste in an electric composter (go figure. It's called the Nature Mill).All that ends up in the beds, so I do have an abundance of matter which helps aerate the soil. I also found that if you leave the soil unturned, earthworms seem to arrive in large amounts.
                    - As far as beans go, I just use an heiloom variety from a local garden center. The peas are ones with edible pods. They will die off after 3-4 weeks of production, so I reseed every 2-3 weeks in the summer. This guaranteees fresh peas all summer. The beans and peas end up side by side with tomatoes and squash in no particular set pattern. The tomatoes are able to use the nitrogen generated from the peas, beans and clover. No fertilizer required.
                    - The clover will grow up to about 8 inches, but you can cut it back. It just grows back again. The clover in the lawn tends to grow slower than the grass itself.
                    - I don't have any photos, but I will take some this year. By the way, if you have mosquito issues like us, plant marigold flowers in among the garden. The mosquitoes don't like it.

                    Good luck. Just plant. Something will grow. Or do as fukuoka says.Throw a bunch of seeds and see what comes up. Have fun.