Re: [fukuoka_farming] weeds in vineyard

  • dk@kalexpo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2010
      Hi Raju,David,
      Thank you for your interest in my vines farming.
      The vineyard is in Arcadia in the middle of Peloponnese, South Greece.
      At a plateau of 700 meters high from the level of the sea.
      We have cold winters the temperature reaches the -10C and short and dry summers of 30-35C , from June to August.
      The harvest takes place late September early October, depending on the weather and the maturity of the grapes.
      The half of the vines are red skinned grapes giving white dry VQPRD wine named MOSCHOFILERO and
      the other half of them are red grapes CABERNET SAUVIGNON.

      I am thinking of letting sheep to enter in the vine yard, before the leaves grow.
      By this way sheep will eat all the grass...
      Then I will sow wild clover between the vine trees, you are right here David.
      Then I will pass the rows between the vine lines, with the tractor having a machine at the back, like big rake, to loose the soil.
      At the end I will pass with the tractor again with a machine named "destroyer". It have an axle with many small metallic hammers which are turning and braking the weeds, leaving after that a ... carpet of broken grass, on the top of the soil. This... carpet keeps the night moisture during the hot days, for the benefit of the system.

      Well, this is what I plan to do middle of Feb, beginning of March.
      If you have any other proposal, I am all ears....
      Dimitris