Re: Invitation to view Banana NF Album

  • Jim Snyder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2010
      Hi Luke and group

      Very nice to hear from you. I am a coffee fanatic having tasted many of the world's best varieties from the coffee club I belong to. I buy from small local plantations. I think the closest to your location I have tried recently was from Kenya.

      I enjoyed reading your post and wish I could buy both coffee and bananas from you. I know little about either but think both would grow well in a Fukuoka system of farming. Maybe you can ship me some coffee?

      You are very knowledgeable with soil science. I mentioned in a recent post that I think one reason why more do not adopt Fukuoka Farming is because many of us inherit poor soils. I will be ready to quit all cultivation and farm as close to permaculture as one can get with our grassfed beef operation in 2 or 3 more years.

      My original soil tests here showed less than .5% organic matter and neglible levels of P and K. I apply 4000 pounds of organic matter (cattle manure) each week now to 15 acres and should have organic matter up to 5% and enough fertility to stay in equilibrium for many years. I have over a dozen species of introduced and native species in my pastures.

      I always enjoy seeing others photos! I am featuring some on my sustainable website.

      Best regards

      Jim Snyder
      Edmore, MI
      http://farmersforasustainablefuture.ning.com/