Re: Seed Ball sowing

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2010
      Dear friend David,

      Buckwheat (Soba in Japanese, _Fagopyrum_esculentum_ scientific name) seems one of the very few plant species i know of which has special adaptations better suited to sowing naked seed directly by broadcasting rather than in seed balls. I learned this from::
      -reading all of late Fukuoka-sensei general plant sowing recommendations closely,
      -reading closely all the Buckwheat wikipedia page -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat and
      -reading closely many more web pages, Buckwheat science literature available freely on the web, and some relevant farming literature i have from my late organic farmer Dad, and
      -speaking with the nearby farmer, who very kindly gave me the sack of seed, who has grown Buckwheat commercially for the Japanese Soba noodle market until recent years when the Chinese came to dominate the whole market, after the market was changed from a hectarage (acreage) basis to a tonnage basis.

      Pretty much all plant species grow & establish better from seedballs IMHO, this makes great logical sense, because seed balls protect each seed from predators, unsuitable growing conditions, eg. brief rain events which stimulate naked seeds to germinate followed by very dry conditions which kill the new germinants, and mechanical damage when trampled or driven over or seed balls dropped from aeroplanes, or extreme drought/heat in deserts, and so on, etc.

      Hence, i don't know of any lists of seed balls' suitable plant species. I think this is because all plant species are suitable for seed balls.
      Buckwheat suits seed balls too!, - if you want to sow it out of season long before you want it to grow in order that it is delayed until heavy rains' weathering or other delayed-natural-weathering which breaks down the clay ball, or in very harsh conditions like deserts where you want the seed to wait to germinate for more-than-heavy flooding-rains, etc.

      I sowed Buckwheat when it normally grows immediately, in mid spring after the last frost, here in a warm temperate climate, with average rainfall of 40 inches (1000 mm) coming mainly in winter, spring & summer-thunderstorms, with dry autumns. I will try it in seed balls as well as naked in further experiments next year. This years seeds' sack given to me where the last seeds in Australia available for purchase by the farmer who gave them to me of this high quality Australia-suited variety, because the Buckwheat has stopped being grown commercially due to this tonnage-basis Chinese domination.

      In natural farming you will, as every follower of nature does, need to follow nature's dictates in your local seasons for determining when to sow Buckwheat (and any plants).

      I note, that in some milder & warmer &/or wetter climates in the planet, one can choose to sow Buckwheat as an early spring crop, a spring crop, a late spring-early summer crop, a summer crop, a late-summer crop, or an autumn crop, eg. like late Fukuoka-sensei's in Ehime prefecture, Shikoku island, Japan, where the climate is considerably wetter than mine here, and at lower latitude, and with a maritime (nearer the sea hence milder & warmer) climate, and with less of a period of the year with frost-days or no frost-days at all? also eg. like some examples in literature on the web about sowing it in different climates at different seasonal timings.
      In Australian terms i estimate late Fukuoka-sensei's farm climate & local conditions most closely are resembled by around Kempsey region, NSW, Australia.

      Kind Cheers,