Invitation to view Banana NF Album

  • kumarskp2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2010
      Dear All folks,

      This Album having the Banana Natural farming steps snaps. First few photos had taken after one month of plantation. Remaining are took after 4 month.Inter Crops are Black eye bean and Drum stick.
      No weeding, No Chemical, No till(Once used Oxen and wooden tool to make water trench)
      Please visit here
      http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF#

      Comments and suggestions are welcome..!

      Regards
      Kumaraswamy
    • Yugandhar S
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2010
        Sri Kumar swamy ji,
        Thanks for posting the pictures. Very nicely captured and explained step
        wise.

        Regards
        Yugandhar

        On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, kumarskp2000 <skkumaraswamy@...
        > wrote:

        > Dear All folks,
        >
        > This Album having the Banana Natural farming steps snaps. First few photos
        > had taken after one month of plantation. Remaining are took after 4
        > month.Inter Crops are Black eye bean and Drum stick.
        > No weeding, No Chemical, No till(Once used Oxen and wooden tool to make
        > water trench)
        > Please visit here
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF#
        >
        > Comments and suggestions are welcome..!
        >
        > Regards
        > Kumaraswamy

      • Yugandhar S
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2010
          Friends,

          Raju sir has commented on this photo.

          http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF?feat=email#5424696112655099938

          --Yugandhar

          On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, kumarskp2000 <skkumaraswamy@...
          > wrote:

          > Dear All folks,
          >
          > This Album having the Banana Natural farming steps snaps. First few photos
          > had taken after one month of plantation. Remaining are took after 4
          > month.Inter Crops are Black eye bean and Drum stick.
          > No weeding, No Chemical, No till(Once used Oxen and wooden tool to make
          > water trench)
          > Please visit here
          > http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF#
          >
          > Comments and suggestions are welcome..!
          >
          > Regards
          > Kumaraswamy

        • James
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
            Wonderful photos! I would like to share the photos with people I know on another site if it is OK. I wish we could buy bananas raised like this in the USA. We do not eat bananas very often as they are primarily grown in "chemical soak" agricultural conditions.

            Does anyone have photos of coffee being grown naturally?

            Thank you.

            Jim Snyder
            Edmore, MI
            http://farmersforasustainablefuture.ning.com/

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

            > Friends,
            >
            > Raju sir has commented on this photo.
            >
            > http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF?feat=email#5424696112655099938
            >
            > --Yugandhar
            >
            > On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, kumarskp2000 <skkumaraswamy@...
            > > wrote:
            >

            > > Dear All folks,
            > >
            > > This Album having the Banana Natural farming steps snaps. First few photos
            > > had taken after one month of plantation. Remaining are took after 4
            > > month.Inter Crops are Black eye bean and Drum stick.
            > > No weeding, No Chemical, No till(Once used Oxen and wooden tool to make
            > > water trench)
            > > Please visit here
            > > http://picasaweb.google.com/kadakolla/Banana_NF#
            > >
            > > Comments and suggestions are welcome..!
            > >
            > > Regards
            > > Kumaraswamy

          • Luke Powell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 20, 2010
              Hi Jim (and fellow gobal 'Fukuoka-ians'),

              Coffee? Did someone metion coffee?? ha ha ha. My ears pricked up there.

              Re your wanting photos of coffee being grown naturally Jim, my coffee fields were originally completely cleared of natural vegitation and cropped with groundnuts, corn, beans..... The coffee is presently planted in lines (to suit my irrigation system), so not a 'natural' scene for you, sorry Jim.!! ha ha ha

              FYI, I am now planting local indigenous trees, within the straight coffee lines, to act as shade trees for the coffee. This rainy season (Nov-April), I have also intre-cropped (between the coffee lines) 1) upland rice (for mulch), 2) soya beans (for animal feed) and 3) sunhemp (for mulch). I can send you some photos of this type of coffee growing should you wish. It is NOT coffee grown by the Fukuoka 'doctrine' (for want of a better word).

              I don't know anything about Fukuoka's companion planting of crops for a crop like cofffee which will be in the ground at least 6 years. (I hope for longer). Your advise on how to manage my coffee crop by the Fukuoka method will be greatly appreciated and valued.

              FYI, from my limited understanding, 80% nutrients can come from the air should the plant be healthy. In addition, different crops require different soil nutrients that will encourage the 'crop-specific' (coffee) active soil microbiology (rhizospere). This then (mycorhiza, earthworms ...) will make available the required nutrients for the plant.

              Unless you 'import' those missing nutrients (for the rhizosphere) on to the farm (eg by growing companion crops and/or by broadcasting lime for Ca), you will not achieve the optimum genetic quality potential of the crop at harvest (as measured with a refracometer).

              The soil on my farm does not 'naturally' contain all the nutrients (Ca, P, Mg, S...), in the correct ratios, required by the coffee plants. I use a soil test (soil sampled in the 'winter' - is this the right time???) to help determine what major elements are required (Ca, P ... ). I then use a refractometer weekly to help me asses which 'variable' nutrients (N, B, Zn, Mg, compost tea....) are needed to be applied (foliarly) to my coffee at that particular point in the coffee's growth cycle (vegitative growth, flowering, berry expansion...).

              I don't know what your interest is, in coffee, but I am a coffee grower in Zambia, trying to grow the healthest trees producing the highest quality coffee bean. I have recently joined the Fukuoka group, though I have been an avid 'lurker' on Brixtalk for a few years. I am still learning and will listen to anyone recount their experiences or offer me advise.

              As this thread was originally about a 'banana album', FYI, I have also planted bananas by the 'Grandma White method' below my coffee pulpery. This is to act as a water 'effluent' sink from when we wet pulp and ferment the coffee (do you know how coffee is processed?). I can't wait to taste my first bananas.!

              Enough rambling, time for bed.

              Regards to all that have read down to this point, goodnight and blessings,
              Luke

            • djren28@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 20, 2010
                Hi Luke,
                I would love to see some pictures of your coffee plantings.
                Thanks,
                Donna

                Donna Rensel
                Umatilla, FL. 32784
                352-455-6429
                _www.renselsyorkiesandpoodles.com_
                (http://www.renselsyorkiesandpoodles.com/)
                _www.buyholisticpetfood.com_ (http://www.buyholisticpetfood.com/)
                _www.marketamerica.com/rensel_ (http://www.marketamerica.com/rensel)

                "Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an
                encounter with
                another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have
                rekindled this inner light."

              • Jim Snyder
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Hi Luke and group

                  Very nice to hear from you. I am a coffee fanatic having tasted many of the world's best varieties from the coffee club I belong to. I buy from small local plantations. I think the closest to your location I have tried recently was from Kenya.

                  I enjoyed reading your post and wish I could buy both coffee and bananas from you. I know little about either but think both would grow well in a Fukuoka system of farming. Maybe you can ship me some coffee?

                  You are very knowledgeable with soil science. I mentioned in a recent post that I think one reason why more do not adopt Fukuoka Farming is because many of us inherit poor soils. I will be ready to quit all cultivation and farm as close to permaculture as one can get with our grassfed beef operation in 2 or 3 more years.

                  My original soil tests here showed less than .5% organic matter and neglible levels of P and K. I apply 4000 pounds of organic matter (cattle manure) each week now to 15 acres and should have organic matter up to 5% and enough fertility to stay in equilibrium for many years. I have over a dozen species of introduced and native species in my pastures.

                  I always enjoy seeing others photos! I am featuring some on my sustainable website.

                  Best regards