Re: [AgriConcern] Natural Farming of Rice.धान की कुदरती खेती.

  • Pavan Sastry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2010
      Rajuji/ Other members,

      Thank you for the information. However, i have some queries for which i want
      your opinion.

      Is natural farming suitable for any kind of soil? Much of the area in the
      Telangana region in AP where i come from is on the Deccan plateau. The land
      is rainfed and with pump/borewell based irrigation. There is much debate
      going on currently about Lift irrigation schemes which are very costly to
      develop and run. What do you suggest for this.

      Also, can you tell me how you irrigate your field? is any irrigation system
      in place and how often do you water the crops?

      Regards,

      Pavan
      On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > tillig based orgenic and inorgenic agriculture. <
      > http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uhVRDEX-1tlai51b4qUouA?feat=directlink
      > >
      > Raju Titus
      >
      > 2010/1/5 Ved <ved@... <ved%40isapindia.org>>
      >

      > > Dear all,
      > >
      > > This is very useful information on natural farming for paddy cultivation,
      > > would also request to the subject experts to share some more information
      > in
      > > this regard.
      > >
      > > What productivity/yield per ha farmers can get using this method so that
      > > farmers can earn his livelihood.
      > > What should be the minimum rainfall or it is only suitable for the
      > > geographies where rainfall sure.
      > > What is the suggested cropping pattern and size of land holdings.
      > > What are the supporting technologies for the method.
      > > What are the risks involve
      > >
      > > Thanks & regards
      > >
      > > Vedprkash Sharma
      > > New Delhi
      > >
      > > 2010/1/4 Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>>
      > >

      > >> Dear Friend
      > >>

      > >> Natural Farming of Rice.धान की कुदरती खेती.
      > >> धान की खेती के लिए किसान सामान्य तरीके में पानी रोकने के लिए गड्डे बनाते
      > >> हैं फिर उसमे बहुत जुताई कर पानी भर कर कीचड मचाते हैं. फिर उस में पहले से
      > >> तयार धान के रोपे लगाते हैं. इस में अनेक प्रकार की खाद और दवाई डालते हैं.
      > >> और
      > >> बार बार पानी भरते रहते हैं. ये बहुत महंगी खेती है .फुकुओका फार्मिंग में
      > ये
      > >> सब कुछ करने की कोई जरुरत नहीं है. ठण्ड की पनपती फसल में धान के बीजों को
      > >> मिटटी की गोली में बंद कर खेतों में डाल दिया जाता है. ये अपने मोसम में उग
      > >> आती
      > >> है. और कुछ करने की जरुरत नहीं है. पिछली फसल के अवशेषों को वापस देने से
      > >> खरपतवार का नियंत्रण हो जाता है और जुताई नहीं करने से बरसात का पानी जैन
      > में
      > >> सोख लिया जाता है जो वास्प बन सिंचाई करता रहता है.
      > >> Natural Farming of Rice:
      > >> In normal traditional cultivation of rice, the farmer makes channels in
      > >> the
      > >> land to retain water. He tills the land and creates lot of mud. Then he
      > >> transplants young rice plants from a breeding plot to the field. He then
      > >> applies lot of fertilizers and pesticides to these plants. And he
      > >> repeatedly
      > >> floods the field with water. This kind of farming is a costly affair. In
      > >> Fukuoka farming, there is no need to do all these things. Instead, rice
      > >> grain is enclosed in clay seed balls and scattered in the standing,
      > ready
      > >> harvest winter crop. These seeds will sprout in the right season with
      > the
      > >> rains. Nothing else needs to be done. The remaining of the last crop i.e
      > >> straw, leaves, roots etc will control weeds and due to no tilling the
      > rain
      > >> water will sink into the earth, which in turn will irrigate the

    • Yugandhar S
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hi Pavan,

        A note before proceeding: This reply is just to answer Pavan's question
        that natural/near natural farming can indeed be done anywhere and not to
        open any new debate about Permaculture Vs Natural Farming.

        Here is an interesting video just for you and specifically answers your
        question. This video is about permaculture with Bill Mollison at a farm
        which is two hours north of Hyderabad by road. It is really splendid to see
        this once almost barren land transform into a mini jungle in about two
        years. The most interesting point in this video is the farmer in this video
        says that 2 or 3 feet below the soil in his jungle garden there is only rock
        and nothing else. Fukuoka sans also grew splendid mandarin orange orchards
        on almost dry mountain sides using natural farming. There definitely in not
        much soil on mountain slopes, I believe.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O38rwc7-puc

        If you understand spirituality or atleast Fukuoka's books, there is no
        Telangana(Dry,rainfed) and Andhra(Wet,river fed) lands distinction in
        nature. Only nature knows where to grow what. When man minimizes his
        intervention everything will be alright.

        Regarding the Irrigation aspect, Raju Bhai can answer.

        Regards
        Yugandhar