Re: [fukuoka_farming] Larry Korn on Permaculture

  • Yugandhar S
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi catarina,

      It's heartening to see 'watchers' turning into 'talkers' due to the debate(
      if I can call that). A nice outcome!!!

      It felt really nice to read your email. By the way how can I translate the
      site you posted to English? Nice pictures.

      All the best.
      --Yugandhar

      On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM, ccc <c.costacabral@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > On 02 Jan, 2010, at 3:32 AM, Robert Monie wrote:
      >
      > Hi,

      > originators and practitioners that have been expressed on this list,
      > we ought to keep in mind that Larry Korn addressed the issue of the
      > relationship of Fukuoka to Permaculture in a temperate and well-
      > crafted essay that can be read at http://www.permaculture.com/drupal/
      > node/140. Korn, who has made a living as a professional landscaper
      > for many years, first in the Berkeley, CA area, and now in Oregon,
      > studied personally with Fukuoka in Japan for over a year and
      > eventually secured permission from Fukuoka to translate One Straw
      > Revolution into English. Korn's translation has remained the standard
      > one throughout three printings: the original Rodale edition, the
      > Other India edition, and the recent New York Review of Books Classic
      > edition. Fukuoka and the Fukuoka estate have regarded Korn as a true
      > and faithful interpreter of Fukuoka's teachings to the English-
      > speaking word, so it should be of
      > some interest to all on this list to see what Korn says about Bill
      > Mollison and the Permaculture approach to farming/gardening.
      >
      > Far from finding any serious discrepancy between Fukuoka's natural
      > farming and Mollison's permaculture, Korn finds it remarkable that
      > "Fukuoka and Mollison, working independently on two different
      > continents with entirely different environmental conditions should
      > come up with similar solutions to the question "'how can people live
      > on this planet sustainably and in harmony with nature.' " Korn
      > concludes that Mollison and Fukuoka have "taken entirely different
      > routes to get to essentially the same place." Korn even
      > characterizes Fukuoka's own farm as "a classic working model of
      > permaculture design." Moreover, Larry Korn often appears at
      > Permaculture gatherings and has been known to conduct seminars in
      > permaculture as well as natural farming.
      >
      > Korn's analysis is pragmatic and practical; it does not attempt to
      > catapult farming of any kind to the metaphysical or religious sphere.
      > It does not inquire into the size of Mollison's or Fukuoka's egos or
      > judge the purity of their souls or determine Calvinistically if they
      > are in a state of grace-- saved or damned. Such concerns are surely
      > best left to the Creator and are of no concern to us flawed and
      > uncertain morals. It is our business to grow food the best we can.
      > On those occasions when I when I sell a little of my produce,
      > customers do not ask, "Are you pure of heart; is your soul spotless
      > and free of sin?" They sensibly ask "How much is this bok choy and is
      > it good to eat?" More and more, some inquire as to how far away from
      > the point of sale was the produce grown (in my case, the answer is
      > "about 2 miles." ) In the real world of selling commodities on the
      > market, these are the considerations that matter--not the sanctity of
      > the
      > farmer/seller or the level of his/her spiritual achievement.

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
        प्रिय भाई युगंधर,
        आप के इस अनुवाद ने मुझे बहुत राहत दी है. अब में खुल कर अपनी बात ग्रुप में रख
        सकता हूँ. इस के लिए में आपको दिल से धन्यवाद देता हूँ.असल में हिंदी में इस
        लिए भी लिखना चाहता हूँ जिस से अनेक हिदी भाषी खेतिहर इस ग्रुप का लाभ उठा
        सकें. इस अनुवाद ने इस में नई जान डाल दी है.मेरा निवेदन है मुझे सर के बदले
        भाई से संबोधन करें तो मुझे ख़ुशी होगी.
        धन्यवाद
        राजू इंडिया

        On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > living
        > > > as a professional landscaper for many years, first in the Berkeley, CA
        > > area,
        > > > and now in Oregon, studied personally with Fukuoka in Japan for over a
        > > year
        > > > and eventually secured permission from Fukuoka to translate One Straw
        > > > Revolution into English. Korn's translation has remained the standard
        > one
        > > > throughout three printings: the original Rodale edition, the Other
        > India
        > > > edition, and the recent New York Review of Books Classic edition.
        > Fukuoka
        > > > and the Fukuoka estate have regarded Korn as a true and faithful
        > > interpreter
        > > > of Fukuoka's teachings to the English-speaking word, so it should be of
        > > > Mollison and the Permaculture approach to farming/gardening.

        > > > farming and Mollison's permaculture, Korn finds it remarkable that
        > > "Fukuoka
        > > > and Mollison, working independently on two different continents with
        > > > entirely different environmental conditions should come up with similar
        > > > solutions to the question "'how can people live on this planet
        > > sustainably
        > > > and in harmony with nature.' " Korn concludes that Mollison and Fukuoka
        > > > have "taken entirely different routes to get to essentially the same
        > > > place." Korn even characterizes Fukuoka's own farm as "a classic
        > working
        > > > model of permaculture design." Moreover, Larry Korn often appears at
        > > > Permaculture gatherings and has been known to conduct seminars in
        > > > permaculture as well as natural farming.

        > > > catapult farming of any kind to the metaphysical or religious sphere.
        > It
        > > > does not inquire into the size of Mollison's or Fukuoka's egos or judge
        > > the
        > > > purity of their souls or determine Calvinistically if they are in a
        > state
        > > of
        > > > grace-- saved or damned. Such concerns are surely best left to the
        > > Creator
        > > > and are of no concern to us flawed and uncertain morals. It is our
        > > > business to grow food the best we can. On those occasions when I when I
        > > sell
        > > > a little of my produce, customers do not ask, "Are you pure of heart;
        > is
        > > > your soul spotless and free of sin?" They sensibly ask "How much is
        > this
        > > bok
        > > > choy and is it good to eat?" More and more, some inquire as to how far
        > > away
        > > > from the point of sale was the produce grown (in my case, the answer is
        > > > "about 2 miles." ) In the real world of selling commodities on the
        > > market,
        > > > these are the considerations that matter--not the sanctity of the

      • ccc
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hi Yougandar,

          tks for your reply, unfortunately I haven't yet translated but will
          try to do so.

          On 04 Jan, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Yugandhar S wrote:

> [...]

          > judge the purity of their souls or determine Calvinistically if they
          > are in a state of grace-- saved or damned. Such concerns are surely
          > best left to the Creator and are of no concern to us flawed and
          > uncertain morals. It is our business to grow food the best we can.
          > On those occasions when I when I sell a little of my produce,
          > customers do not ask, "Are you pure of heart; is your soul spotless
          > and free of sin?" They sensibly ask "How much is this bok choy and is
          > it good to eat?" More and more, some inquire as to how far away from
          > the point of sale was the produce grown (in my case, the answer is
          > "about 2 miles." ) In the real world of selling commodities on the
          > market, these are the considerations that matter--not the sanctity of
          > the
          > farmer/seller or the level of his/her spiritual achievement.

        • kornld45
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
            Hello all, I'd like to join into this discussion but so far my message posts have not been received. I'll try again.
            Larry Korn

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Fukuoka is assembled. Bills are backed by Fukuoka. We respect all of them
            > > > today to save our environment for our collective future La efforts are
            > > > engaged. We are 25 years Fukuoka farming. We have no way better than this
            > > > today. But if someone in Fukuoka farming received a mistake to resolve
            > > the
            > > > effort we will surely tell.
            > > > Raju
            > > >

            > > > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Jason <macropneuma@...<macropneuma%40yahoo.com.au>
            > > <macropneuma%40yahoo.com.au>>

            > > > that

            > > ===========================================================================

            > > ===========================================================================

            > > yielding,

            > > ways'

            > > <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%

          • Yugandhar S
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
              Dear Raju Bhai,
              I am feeling uneasy to call you bhai( brother ) as you are like my father,
              both age wise and also in natural farming experience. But if you still
              insist on it, I will call you bhai from now on.

              I am happy that my translation has given you much relief in allowing to
              express your feelings more openly to the group. I hope your desire, that
              your Hindi messages will be more beneficial and understandable to the Hindi
              speaking folk of this group will be fulfilled. But, I sincerely doubt the
              number of Hindi speaking farmers(and in fact the number of Indian farmers)
              who are actively following and participating in this group.

              Thanks and Regards
              Yugandhar

              Group,
              Translation of Sri Raju's message follows:
              ==============
              Dear brother Yugandhar,
              You have provided me much relief by your translation. Now I can freely
              express my feelings and experiences to the group. I am thankful to you from
              my heart. I actually want to write in Hindi, as I feel that many Hindi
              speaking farmers can benefit and gain experience from this group, in this
              way. Your translation has given a new life to my messages. I request you to
              address me as brother instead of sir and make me happy.
              Thanks
              Raju, India.
              ==============

              On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > them
              > > > today to save our environment for our collective future La efforts are
              > > > engaged. We are 25 years Fukuoka farming. We have no way better than
              > this
              > > > today. But if someone in Fukuoka farming received a mistake to resolve
              > > the
              > > > effort we will surely tell.
              > > > Raju
              > > >

              > > > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Jason <macropneuma@...<macropneuma%40yahoo.com.au>
              > <macropneuma%40yahoo.com.au>
              > > <macropneuma%40yahoo.com.au>>

              > all
              > > > that

              > Although
              > > yielding,

              > > ways'

              > <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%

            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                Hi Larry,

                I'm reading you loud and clear. Please join in.

                Bob Monie