WHY NOT?

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 26, 2009
      Friends,
      We are doing the last several years Fukuoka farming on his own are in this
      dissemination. Today in our fields with our neighbors, our crops condition
      is good in every situation. Yet one question is asked from us again and
      again that you are adopting this method, why not farmers. Which I have no
      answer.
      हम पिछले अनेक सालों से फुकुओका फार्मिंग कर रहे हैं और इस के प्रचार प्रसार
      में अपने बल पर लगे हैं. आज हमारे खेतों में हमारे पड़ोसियों से हमारी फसलों
      की स्थिति हर हाल में अच्छी है. फिर भी एक सवाल हम से बार बार पुछा जाता है की
      आप की इस पद्धति को क्यों किसान नहीं अपना रहे हैं.जिसका मेरे पास कोई जवाब
      नहीं है. हम इस ग्रुप के सभी सदस्यों से निवेदन करते हैं की वे इस सवाल का जवाब
      जरुर खोजें.
      राजू

    • Pavan Sastry
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2009
        I would like to introduce myself to the group as an IT professional
        enthusiastic about Natural Farming due to its immense benefits to the soil,
        the farmer and the consumer. I would like to grow a farm myself someday and
        influence thousands of others in India to farm using Fukuoka sans method.

        The last line that Shri. Raju has forgotten to add( as i can see from the
        lines in Hindi) is this:

        *"I request all the members of this group to research the answer to this
        question"*

        Even i do find it difficult to understand why there is no widespread use of
        the fukuoka method. While i was trying to understand the fukuoka method and
        about how to apply it to Indian conditions, i have come across the following
        people using it:

        Shri. Raju Titus who has a 12 acre farm in Hoshangabad in Madhya Pradesh
        India grown with Natural farming principles. He even had the good fortune of
        Fukuoka visiting his farm staying there for sometime and exchanging notes
        with him.
        Shri. Kailash Murthy who works for a bank but also owns a 6.5 acre farm
        grown using fukuoka method started 1984 in Chamarajnagar district,
        Karnataka, India (http://the-anf.org/)
        Shri. Ashok Sanghavi and Shri Save who have many farms in Umbergaon, Gujarat
        grown using the fukuoka method. Mr. Ashok Sanghavi has also written a book
        on the subject. site: http://www.savesanghavi.com/(site temporarily down)
        Shri. Subhash Palekar who has written books on natural farming and has been
        told to have many followers though he doesnt grow a farm himself.
        (please excuse and correct me if im wrong in any of the above details!)

        Apart from the above i havent come across people using the fukuoka method.
        If any of you is a farmer using the method(especially in India), pls
        respond.

        Even in Japan, i havent heard of widespread use of the method despite
        Fukuoka san living and farming there for over 70 years.

        Can we have the groups views on this and on what could be done to increase
        the awareness.

        --
        Pavan Sastry

      • James
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2009
          I have a couple theories of why Fukuoka Farming is not more popular:

          1) knowledge - those of us who are aware of this system need to teach and lead by example. Many folks have never heard of the man or techniques.

          2) better suited to smaller acreages - agriculture these days, especially in the USA, is a very large business relying on a lot of fuel and heavy metal due to the specialized nature of growing crops. The system is best suited here to large tracts of land as there are very few farmers left. The average age of a farmer here is 59 years old. We need to teach many new farmers.

          3) time - many of us inherit poor land that takes time to regenerate. Fukuoka Farming technique does not function well in poor, depleted and abused or toxic soil conditions which exist all over the earth. Much good land has been lost to poor irrigation techniques and too much synthetic fertilizer and tillage.

          4) Monsanto, Dow Chemical, etc. have a large budget for selling their products and marketing their techniques. They have convinced many that their way of farming will help feed the future population expansion displacing many native cultural practices that have evolved for thousands of years.

          Just a few of my thoughts.....

          Jim Snyder
          Edmore, MI
          http://farmersforasustainablefuture.ning.com/

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Pavan Sastry <apsastry@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > Karnataka, India (http://the-anf.org/)
          > Shri. Ashok Sanghavi and Shri Save who have many farms in Umbergaon, Gujarat
          > grown using the fukuoka method. Mr. Ashok Sanghavi has also written a book
          > on the subject. site: http://www.savesanghavi.com/(site temporarily down)
          > Shri. Subhash Palekar who has written books on natural farming and has been
          > told to have many followers though he doesnt grow a farm himself.
          > (please excuse and correct me if im wrong in any of the above details!)
          >
          > Apart from the above i havent come across people using the fukuoka method.
          > If any of you is a farmer using the method(especially in India), pls
          > respond.
          >
          > Even in Japan, i havent heard of widespread use of the method despite
          > Fukuoka san living and farming there for over 70 years.
          >
          > Can we have the groups views on this and on what could be done to increase

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 26, 2009
            Hindi to English Translation by google.
            Dear Friend,
            You got the letter we got a lot for this we sincerely thank you. We are not
            alone. Are many who are moving towards.
            In fact, yesterday a friend came to live in the city and 25 years of our
            work looking at why he says that each year farmers around the ruined farm
            losses are looking even if they do it are taking? N.G.O. in India And
            government people who work for independent farmers make and save our
            environment for our collective future. Then why do not serve it by following
            the simple mode?. When we came here they were saying to Fukuoka If our
            schools, religious institutions and land services work greenery etc. So soon
            we start teaching environment can come out of danger.
            प्रिय मित्र,
            आपके इस पत्र से हमें बहुत हिम्मत मिली है इस के लिए हम आपको दिल से धन्यवाद
            देते हैं. हम अकेले नहीं हैं. बहुत हैं जो इस ओर बढ़ रहे हैं.
            असल में कल एक मित्र आये थे वे शहर में रहते हैं और २५ सालों से हमारे काम को
            देख रहे हैं उनका कहना था की क्यों आस पास के किसान जो हर साल घाटे की खेती
            करते हुए बर्बाद हो रहे हैं वे क्यों देख कर भी इसे नहीं अपना रहे हैं? भारत
            में बहुत N.G.O. और सरकारी लोग हैं जिनका काम ही किसानो को आत्म निर्भर बनाना
            और हमारे सामूहिक भविष्य के लिए हमारे पर्यावरण को बचाना है. फिर क्यों ये सीधी
            सादी विधा को अपनाकर सेवा नहीं करते हैं?. जब फुकुओका हमारे यहाँ आये थे वो
            कह रहे थे की यदि हमारे स्कूल, धार्मिक संस्थाएं आदि हरयाली और धरती की सेवा के
            काम को सिखाने लगें तो जल्दी हम पर्यावरण के खतरे से बाहर आ सकते हैं.
            Raju

            On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM, James <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > grown using the fukuoka method. Mr. Ashok Sanghavi has also written a
            > book
            > > on the subject. site: http://www.savesanghavi.com/(site temporarily
            > down)
            > > Shri. Subhash Palekar who has written books on natural farming and has
            > been
            > > told to have many followers though he doesnt grow a farm himself.
            > > (please excuse and correct me if im wrong in any of the above details!)
            > >
            > > Apart from the above i havent come across people using the fukuoka
            > method.
            > > If any of you is a farmer using the method(especially in India), pls
            > > respond.
            > >
            > > Even in Japan, i havent heard of widespread use of the method despite
            > > Fukuoka san living and farming there for over 70 years.
            > >
            > > Can we have the groups views on this and on what could be done to

          • seaseal
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 27, 2009
              Raju asks, "Even i do find it difficult to understand why there is no
              widespread use of
              the fukuoka method."

              Follow the money! The reason no-input agriculture is small is because
              it doesn't get promoted---by the people who make money from the
              pesticide and fertilizer inputs. They fund the universities, so the
              schools don't practice or preach no or low-input farming. The students
              go out into the world knowing only "fertilize" and "spray for pests"
              without experience or long-range visions of what agriculture can be.

              Cecile
              seaseal@...

              What's On My Food? Website http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp
              revealing what pesticides are found on which foods and in what amount.

            • James
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 27, 2009
                You are absolutely correct! I never learned anything but get big or get out and the chemical soak mentality in ag school. I just wrote to one of the main administrators at the FFA today about their sponsorship by Monsanto. Another generation of future farmers are learning the same thing I did.

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, seaseal <seaseal@...> wrote:

                > Raju asks, "Even i do find it difficult to understand why there is no
                > widespread use of
                > the fukuoka method."
                >
                > Follow the money! The reason no-input agriculture is small is because
                > it doesn't get promoted---by the people who make money from the
                > pesticide and fertilizer inputs. They fund the universities, so the
                > schools don't practice or preach no or low-input farming. The students
                > go out into the world knowing only "fertilize" and "spray for pests"
                > without experience or long-range visions of what agriculture can be.
                >
                > Cecile
                > seaseal@...
                >
                > What's On My Food? Website http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp
                > revealing what pesticides are found on which foods and in what amount.

              • David Douglas
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2009
                  I often wondered why whenever I would ask our local univesity extension
                  questions about organics it was totally ignored or I received a very
                  sarcastic
                  reply. I don't doubt that you are correct Cecile. Amazing what people can be
                  made to go along with when money is involved.

                  Dave
                  The Earth works perfectly when treated with the respect she deserves.

                  On 12/27/09, seaseal <seaseal@...> wrote:

                  > Raju asks, "Even i do find it difficult to understand why there is no
                  > widespread use of
                  > the fukuoka method."
                  >
                  > Follow the money! The reason no-input agriculture is small is because
                  > it doesn't get promoted---by the people who make money from the
                  > pesticide and fertilizer inputs. They fund the universities, so the
                  > schools don't practice or preach no or low-input farming. The students
                  > go out into the world knowing only "fertilize" and "spray for pests"
                  > without experience or long-range visions of what agriculture can be.
                  >
                  > Cecile
                  > seaseal@... <seaseal%40got.net>
                  >
                  > What's On My Food? Website http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp
                  > revealing what pesticides are found on which foods and in what amount.

                • Yugandhar S
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Hi Pavan,
                    I think you, I and my friends are on the same step, regarding our
                    profession,interest in natural farming and the depth of our search/research.
                    Your email mimics our 'knowledge' about natural farming. We are only into
                    theory now, which seems very simple and interesting. To do the practical
                    stuff is what is really required to gain true knowledge like Sri Raju and
                    Sri.Kailash murthy and if possible like Fukuoka Sans. I have also visited
                    all the websites mentioned by you and read few books and also contacted few
                    of the listed people but haven't really visited their farms. In the very
                    near future, we plan to do it.

                    Regarding the details you put down, I remember reading that all of the below
                    people had the privilege of meeting Fukuoka. And as far a I know only Sri
                    Raju and Sri Kailash are true practitioners of true and pure Fukuoka
                    methods.

                    And they are not the only people who do this type of farming. They are the
                    only popular ones because they have also taken the responsibility of
                    educating interested people like us, through various means and modes. But,
                    they are not the only ones. There are many more natural farmers in India.

                    Best regards
                    Yugandhar
                    Hyderabad, India.

                    On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Pavan Sastry <apsastry@...> wrote:

                    > I would like to introduce myself to the group as an IT professional
                    > enthusiastic about Natural Farming due to its immense benefits to the soil,
                    > the farmer and the consumer. I would like to grow a farm myself someday and
                    > influence thousands of others in India to farm using Fukuoka sans method.
                    >
                    > The last line that Shri. Raju has forgotten to add( as i can see from the
                    > lines in Hindi) is this:
                    >
                    > *"I request all the members of this group to research the answer to this
                    > question"*
                    >
                    > Even i do find it difficult to understand why there is no widespread use of
                    > the fukuoka method. While i was trying to understand the fukuoka method and
                    > about how to apply it to Indian conditions, i have come across the
                    > following
                    > people using it:
                    >
                    > Shri. Raju Titus who has a 12 acre farm in Hoshangabad in Madhya Pradesh
                    > India grown with Natural farming principles. He even had the good fortune
                    > of
                    > Fukuoka visiting his farm staying there for sometime and exchanging notes
                    > with him.
                    > Shri. Kailash Murthy who works for a bank but also owns a 6.5 acre farm
                    > grown using fukuoka method started 1984 in Chamarajnagar district,
                    > Karnataka, India (http://the-anf.org/)
                    > Shri. Ashok Sanghavi and Shri Save who have many farms in Umbergaon,
                    > Gujarat
                    > grown using the fukuoka method. Mr. Ashok Sanghavi has also written a book
                    > on the subject. site: http://www.savesanghavi.com/(site temporarily down)
                    > Shri. Subhash Palekar who has written books on natural farming and has been
                    > told to have many followers though he doesnt grow a farm himself.
                    > (please excuse and correct me if im wrong in any of the above details!)
                    >
                    > Apart from the above i havent come across people using the fukuoka method.
                    > If any of you is a farmer using the method(especially in India), pls
                    > respond.
                    >
                    > Even in Japan, i havent heard of widespread use of the method despite
                    > Fukuoka san living and farming there for over 70 years.
                    >
                    > Can we have the groups views on this and on what could be done to increase
                    > the awareness.

                  • Jason
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                      If PermaCult had never been pretended, and had never got in the way, natural farming as inspired by nature may have been sought out more by people in need of this type of way, with Fukuoka, Masanobu sensei as a prime example. :P :)

                      may you all flourish,

                      Jase

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                      > Friends,
                      > We are doing the last several years Fukuoka farming on his own are in this
                      > dissemination. Today in our fields with our neighbors, our crops condition
                      > is good in every situation. Yet one question is asked from us again and
                      > again that you are adopting this method, why not farmers. Which I have no
                      > answer.
                      > हम पिछले अनेक सालों से फुकुà¤"का फार्मिंग कर रहे हैं à¤"र इस के प्रचार प्रसार
                      > में अपने बल पर लगे हैं. आज हमारे खेतों में हमारे पड़ोसियों से हमारी फसलों
                      > की स्थिति हर हाल में अच्छी है. फिर भी एक सवाल हम से बार बार पुछा जाता है की
                      > आप की इस पद्धति को क्यों किसान नहीं अपना रहे हैं.जिसका मेरे पास कोई जवाब
                      > नहीं है. हम इस ग्रुप के सभी सदस्यों से निवेदन करते हैं की वे इस सवाल का जवाब
                      > जरुर खोजें.
                      > राजू

                    • Yugandhar S
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                        Sri Raju ji,
                        Google translation does not work properly. It does not make any sense at
                        all.How much ever man struggles he can never make machines that match the
                        natural creation and intelligence. I would like to volunteer and translate
                        your Hindi messages to English.

                        Group,

                        The translation for the below Hindi text is:
                        ======
                        Dear Friend,
                        This letter of yours has given me lot of courage. We thank you sincerely
                        for this. We are not alone. There are many others who are moving towards
                        this(natural farming). Yesterday one of my friend who lives in the city and
                        has been seeing my farm/work for the past 25 years visited me. He expressed
                        his concern as to why, even after seeing my successful natural farming work,
                        my neighbor farmers are not adopting it and still doing chemical farming and
                        incurring losses. There are numerous NGOs and Government persons in India
                        whose sole job is to make our farmers self sufficient and courageous and
                        work for our collective future of a better natural world. But why are they
                        not adopting these simple techniques and educating farmers? When Sri Fukuoka
                        visited my farm, he said that "if our schools and spiritual organistaions
                        start educating people about a natural green earth and about serving nature,
                        we can come out of the impending crisis very soon."
                        Raju.
                        ======

                        Regards
                        Yugandhar

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                          Group,
                          Proper English translation for the Hindi text:
                          ======
                          Friends,
                          We are doing Fukuoka farming for the past several years and are fully
                          engaged in spreading this knowledge. Today, our farms are better than our
                          neighbors farms in all respects and conditions. But, I am repeatedly asked
                          the question: "Why are your neighbor farmers not adopting this method even
                          after seeing your success?" for which I have no answer. I request the
                          members of this group to ponder over this question and try to find out
                          answers.
                          Raju.
                          ======