Re: African publication features our farm

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
      Hi Dave - yes tweaking the system is always a priority. I do it constantly and read all I can from various sources. The big ag mentality is winning in these parts however as organic and sustainable agriculture take the back seat to the chemical soak mentality and genetically modified crops. This is why I posed the question regarding Fukuoka Farming being able to feed the world. We to need to work very hard to educate folks there is a better way.

      I have had excellent luck restoring organic pastures and hay and by simply mowing all the vegetation and have it decompose in place forming a thick mat of straw on the soil surface. One does not need to spray anything. Mowing gives the "good" vegetation a chance to get ahead of all the noxious weeds that grow on cultivated land here. "Weeds" are very nutritious however and I study my livestock while seeking them out for nutrition and self medication.

      My attitude and thoughts always drift away toward warmer climates this time of year as the cold and cloudy days of Winter in mid-Michigan take over for 5 or 6 months.

      We would be leaving behind orchards, vineyards, berry patches and a few inches of organic top soil build up here. Still, thoughts of returning to the Appalachian Mountains is hard to get out of the head!

      All the best to everyone in 2010 and keep up the good work you do spreading knowledge of Fukuoka Farming methods.

      Jim Snyder
      Edmore, MI
      http://farmersforasustainablefuture.ning.com/