African publication features our farm

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2009
      http://www.flag-sa.org/blog/rallyround.html

      Plans for the future include much less reliance on "heavy metal" and more permaculture utilizing as much Fukuoka Farming methods as we can with our climate. Unfortunately it takes a lot of hay to get through Winter here. There is no way around this. An alternative would be to move much further south that is not really an option right now with property values going down here. Besides, 5 years of building up our organic matter, being totally chemical free and an abundance of permanent forage plantings should not go to waste. This land would be plowed up and planted to potatoes or row crops if we left.

      Jim Snyder
      Edmore, MI
      http://farmersforasustainablefuture.ning.com/
    • David Douglas
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2009
        Hang in there Jim,

        We won't leave here either, to much time, hopes & dreams invested in the
        ground.

        I think that our thinking is sort of in harmony with yours. Although, you
        have obviously been at it much longer & on a far bigger scale than us.
        Our goal is to work toward a more and more natural type of growing and
        caring for the earth.
        Many times we have tried things that we thought were "Organic" only to find
        out later it was upsetting the balance of things naturally speaking.

        It's all about attitude and being willing to continually learn and make
        adjustments,
        right?

        Dave in the Adirondacks
        USDA zone 5

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2009
          Hi Dave - yes tweaking the system is always a priority. I do it constantly and read all I can from various sources. The big ag mentality is winning in these parts however as organic and sustainable agriculture take the back seat to the chemical soak mentality and genetically modified crops. This is why I posed the question regarding Fukuoka Farming being able to feed the world. We to need to work very hard to educate folks there is a better way.

          I have had excellent luck restoring organic pastures and hay and by simply mowing all the vegetation and have it decompose in place forming a thick mat of straw on the soil surface. One does not need to spray anything. Mowing gives the "good" vegetation a chance to get ahead of all the noxious weeds that grow on cultivated land here. "Weeds" are very nutritious however and I study my livestock while seeking them out for nutrition and self medication.

          My attitude and thoughts always drift away toward warmer climates this time of year as the cold and cloudy days of Winter in mid-Michigan take over for 5 or 6 months.

          We would be leaving behind orchards, vineyards, berry patches and a few inches of organic top soil build up here. Still, thoughts of returning to the Appalachian Mountains is hard to get out of the head!

          All the best to everyone in 2010 and keep up the good work you do spreading knowledge of Fukuoka Farming methods.