Re: [fukuoka_farming] Forrest gardens

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2009
      I spent time in Oaxaca, Mexico 2 years ago. There I saw first hand how
      another culture handles feeding of cattle. During the dry season, January
      through March or so, the landholders cut branches off trees, some of which
      are in bloom at that time. The cattle eat any and all of that they can get.
      I can see that it is NOT, at least the way they have it presently, a
      perfect solution. The cattle are bony at that point of the year, and rush
      forward, jostling one another to get food. But, they do survive, as they
      wait for the rains to come. This is not US/European-style modern
      agriculture, but it works. I think that planting other leguminous plants,
      such as vetches, clovers, etc., in amongst the trees would help hugely,
      Also, creating ponds would be helpful, if not natural.

      Frank