Re: ducks for slugs and snails

  • PJ
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 23, 2009
      Emilia Hazelip, who many of you know was sort of a western disciple of Fukuoka, called her system "Synergistic Gardening." In a video about her method, which relies heavily on a constant cover of mulch, she mentions the slug/duck issue specifically. You can watch the video in 3 parts on Youtube, starting here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugFd1JdFaE0

      From the video:
      "I got the Indian Runner ducks as slug predators. These ducks are reputed to be the best slug-eaters among ducks. But unfortunately, these ones, after a while, developed a strong taste for greens. Now, they are no longer allowed to be free all over the garden! There are other predators for slugs: lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, hedgehogs, some birds, and some kinds of beetles."

      Then she also mentions using thin strips/cylinders of copper to protect young seedlings from slugs.

      Incidentally, I've been using Hazelip's method for the last year and am very pleased with it. This group and its files/links sections have been such a wonderful resource, thank you all!
      PJ