Re: [fukuoka_farming] Interning at a Fukuoka style Farm

  • david.keltie@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
      My best advice: stay at home - cultivate a garden.
      Cheers, david

      On 11/8/09, Douglas <dougxmail@...> wrote:
      > | If anyone is interested in hosting up-and-coming farmers or knows of any
      > farms I'd really appreciate the contact. |
      >
      > Me too! Planning on a world ticket apprentice/volunteer experience trip from
      > Amsterdam or London to New Zealand or Australia, Hawaii, New Mexico
      > (Earthship), Costa Rica and/or Columbia to end in Bahia Brazil.After my trip
      > I want to build my own little natural farming farm mixed with Earthship and
      > permaculture elements in South America (Brazil for now, may change) designed
      > for a diet of fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs and vegetables, hardly no animals
      > (maybe bees and a duck or so) and grains used.Trip now foreseen for early
      > 2011 (2010 must be a major saving year).All tips and suggestions
      > appreciated.Thanks,
      > Douglas

      Sent from my mobile device
    • Douglas
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
        That is what I am doing now and that is the way of the least resistance.One must already be crazy enough to try to implement natural farming techniques on a conservative community garden complex (weeds are evil!).Let alone move to another place in the world to set up a unique way of living.
        It is either that or the loony bin...
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2009
          Thanks David,
          If I had a home and knew where I wanted to set up a home, then I would do that. Part of my reason for wanting to intern, is to look for communities I'd like to live in. I'm thinking the Northwest, or somewhere that has enough water (I'm from the SW Desert).

          Any suggestions?

          laura

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:

          > My best advice: stay at home - cultivate a garden.
          > Cheers, david
        • Jonathan Lehman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
            You may want to check out Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage ...

            It's quite affordable, and there is plenty of land available for growing food!

            http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

            They're located in northeast Missouri, USA, and definitely have plenty
            of water. If you're interested in visiting, check in with them again
            in three or four months to see what kind of internship options they'll
            have for you. There will likely be some human-scale organic farming
            opportunities, as well as natural building work available. You can
            also just drop in for a three week visit during their visitor periods,
            which happen several times throughout the spring and summer.

            j!