Interning at a Fukuoka style Farm

  • byelukha47
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
      Hello All,

      I am currently interning at an organic farm in Hawaii. They have just been turned on to natural farming and in fact many of the owners are attending a natural farming workshop today! I just came across this forum last night. My time here is coming to a close in Hawaii and I've been researching farm on the mainland to work with in 2010 and I'd be very interested in working on a farm that follows Fukuoka's philosophy. My goal someday is to start a sustainable farm of my own.

      If anyone is interested in hosting up-and-coming farmers or knows of any farms I'd really appreciate the contact.

      Thank you! I look forward to my future discussion on this forum.

      Laura
    • Douglas
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
        Hello Laura,
        I am thin

        * The Purpose Of Life Is To Propagate Life In All Its Diversity Wherever Life Can Go Between The Stars And Black Holes. It's Humanity's Responsibility To Take The Lead Instead Of Riding On The Back. Make It Your Goal In Life! *

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
          | If anyone is interested in hosting up-and-coming farmers or knows of any farms I'd really appreciate the contact. |

          Me too! Planning on a world ticket apprentice/volunteer experience trip from Amsterdam or London to New Zealand or Australia, Hawaii, New Mexico (Earthship), Costa Rica and/or Columbia to end in Bahia Brazil.After my trip I want to build my own little natural farming farm mixed with Earthship and permaculture elements in South America (Brazil for now, may change) designed for a diet of fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs and vegetables, hardly no animals (maybe bees and a duck or so) and grains used.Trip now foreseen for early 2011 (2010 must be a major saving year).All tips and suggestions appreciated.Thanks,
          Douglas

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
            My best advice: stay at home - cultivate a garden.
            Cheers, david

            On 11/8/09, Douglas <dougxmail@...> wrote:
            > | If anyone is interested in hosting up-and-coming farmers or knows of any
            > farms I'd really appreciate the contact. |
            >
            > Me too! Planning on a world ticket apprentice/volunteer experience trip from
            > Amsterdam or London to New Zealand or Australia, Hawaii, New Mexico
            > (Earthship), Costa Rica and/or Columbia to end in Bahia Brazil.After my trip
            > I want to build my own little natural farming farm mixed with Earthship and
            > permaculture elements in South America (Brazil for now, may change) designed
            > for a diet of fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs and vegetables, hardly no animals
            > (maybe bees and a duck or so) and grains used.Trip now foreseen for early
            > 2011 (2010 must be a major saving year).All tips and suggestions
            > appreciated.Thanks,
            > Douglas

            Sent from my mobile device
          • Douglas
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
              That is what I am doing now and that is the way of the least resistance.One must already be crazy enough to try to implement natural farming techniques on a conservative community garden complex (weeds are evil!).Let alone move to another place in the world to set up a unique way of living.
              It is either that or the loony bin...
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2009
                Thanks David,
                If I had a home and knew where I wanted to set up a home, then I would do that. Part of my reason for wanting to intern, is to look for communities I'd like to live in. I'm thinking the Northwest, or somewhere that has enough water (I'm from the SW Desert).

                Any suggestions?

                laura

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:

                > My best advice: stay at home - cultivate a garden.
                > Cheers, david
              • Jonathan Lehman
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2009
                  You may want to check out Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage ...

                  It's quite affordable, and there is plenty of land available for growing food!

                  http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

                  They're located in northeast Missouri, USA, and definitely have plenty
                  of water. If you're interested in visiting, check in with them again
                  in three or four months to see what kind of internship options they'll
                  have for you. There will likely be some human-scale organic farming
                  opportunities, as well as natural building work available. You can
                  also just drop in for a three week visit during their visitor periods,
                  which happen several times throughout the spring and summer.

                  j!