Re:Invitation to view Raju's Picasa Web Album - STRAW FARMING

  • Tom Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
      I generally agree with the concept here, but some of the statements aren't
      really true in my experience.

      1. Mice can easily find seed and it is easier for them to hide from
      predators under straw. In fact, this could contribute to an explosive and
      devastating population growth of mice under certain conditions.

      2. Straw acts as a host and breeding ground for other kinds of vermin
      like slugs and snails. That is why we have decided to host some chickens and
      ducks to help complete the cycle. Fukuoka also did this-let fowl run through
      the straw to provide nitrogen to break down the straw and clean up weeds and
      pests.

      3. When first taking over new ground some tilling to break up the surface
      and other hardened soil conditions can be very useful but after a few
      seasons of returning all the organic matter to the soil surface this becomes
      unnecessary as long as you don't have certain pest problems that you don't
      have some kind of help with. Chickens till the soil, turkeys till the soil
      deeply, but this is a natural process. Chickens followed by turkeys can
      clean almost anything out of the soil if left long enough to do a thorough
      job.

      You can see what is going on in our food forest
      and get more information about local food security at
      <http://camaspermaculture.blogspot.com/> Camas Permaculture

      Tom Gibson

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
        Dear Gibson,
        I am doing farming this way since last 25 years and not getting any problem
        as you mention.
        Thanks
        Raju