Invitation to view Raju's Picasa Web Album - STRAW FARMING

  • Raju
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
    • Raju
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
      • Tom Gibson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
          I generally agree with the concept here, but some of the statements aren't
          really true in my experience.

          1. Mice can easily find seed and it is easier for them to hide from
          predators under straw. In fact, this could contribute to an explosive and
          devastating population growth of mice under certain conditions.

          2. Straw acts as a host and breeding ground for other kinds of vermin
          like slugs and snails. That is why we have decided to host some chickens and
          ducks to help complete the cycle. Fukuoka also did this-let fowl run through
          the straw to provide nitrogen to break down the straw and clean up weeds and
          pests.

          3. When first taking over new ground some tilling to break up the surface
          and other hardened soil conditions can be very useful but after a few
          seasons of returning all the organic matter to the soil surface this becomes
          unnecessary as long as you don't have certain pest problems that you don't
          have some kind of help with. Chickens till the soil, turkeys till the soil
          deeply, but this is a natural process. Chickens followed by turkeys can
          clean almost anything out of the soil if left long enough to do a thorough
          job.

          You can see what is going on in our food forest
          and get more information about local food security at
          <http://camaspermaculture.blogspot.com/> Camas Permaculture

          Tom Gibson

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
            Dear Gibson,
            I am doing farming this way since last 25 years and not getting any problem
            as you mention.
            Thanks
            Raju