Re: soil

  • michaeljking2007
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
      If lack of water is the main problem then maybe you could look into using swales to create a better environment for plants and then build on that with seedballs/natural farming:

      Greening the desert:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

      Michael

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

      > Kyosal,
      >
      > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
      >
      > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
      >

      > Michael
      >

      > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
      > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
      > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
      > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
      > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
      > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
      > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
      > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
      > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
      >
      > Kyosan

    • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
        Michael Meredith wrote:

        > Kyosal,
        >
        > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
        >
        > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
        >
        > Michael
        >
        > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
        > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
        > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
        > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
        > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
        > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
        > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
        > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
        > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer
        > owns.
        >
        > Kyosan

        Dear Michael,

        I hope we do not missunderstand each other too much. I am not against
        Water Harvesting - it ´s a wonderful idea what everyone should practise
        however and whereever. Off course it would extend Dieter´s potential for
        longer time than without, but (I don´t know why there is always a *but*,
        we have to take it as it is and live and work with it . ;-) ) in a long
        dry season, like in Portugal, one would be in need of so much water,
        that the owned land maybe would not be big enough. Everywhere collecting
        pots, troughs, smaller or bigger lakes... whatever. And the agriculture
        land will not grow, not just for a good idea. I would like to have it
        work in a better way...

        As well, Terra Preta is a very nice, very good and by ancient people
        long time proofed tool. I will never say nothing against it. I myself
        are in process of creating Terra Preta. But (Oh Lord! Another "but),
        I´am living in a region with periodic rain. My rain harvesting this year
        was absolutely more than succesfull! Thousands of liters in storage and
        only a very few times in need to use. End of month September, when the
        first cold and frosty nights came up, I had to let the water from the
        storages go the nearby creek. Otherwise it would have blast my storage
        containers.

        The origin of Terra Preta is different from the climatic situation at my
        or at Dieter´s location. Dieter´s location is, hmh, let me say: poor. My
        location tends more too the rich. Off course different to the location
        where Terra Preta was found. In Amazonian region there is coldness,
        there are no frosty season like german winter. I am a german livingi
        Southwest of Germany - latitude of Strassbourg/France. In wintertime
        soil microbes in my region go to a kind of "sleep", like hedgehogs do.
        Prücess of Terra Preta will also got to have a winter rest, start again
        in spring time, depending on how long frosty climatic soil situation
        will be. It is different from year to year, sometimes from October to
        May, sometimes November to April - every changing possible. Absolutely
        NOT the same like in Portugal or whereever in the world.

        Water is the key for any process of life on this planet. Still our
        common question is and will be: How to get enough.

        You know what I mean?

        In respect, Kyosan
      • Michael Meredith
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 6, 2009
          Seems to me that any one in a dry climate would want to do swales, tanks, and charcoal, as the charcoal is permanant, acts to hold onto water, and , further, is a sponge for micro-organisms to hide in. In fact, many sewage plants, and bio-gas units, use charcoal for this very purpose. His organic matter blows away, or cooks off, in the amazon, it washes away, and cooks off. Could be something there(for the old Dieter).

          Heres some more stuff I am doing...............

          I finally got the clothing started on the 30 foot tall statue. See some photos here.............

          .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/meredith848/?albumview=slideshow.

          Then..... bigsculpture.org...., which explains it

          Michael

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 24, 2010
            I didnt see any photos of what it looked like several years later, so feel that
            I wasted my time.
            Michael

            > Please go through this video.
            >
            > http://www.archive org/details/ MasanobuFukuoka- ArnissaGreece- 1998
            >
            > fukuoka in video, afforestation using seed balls.
          • Michael Meredith
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
              Greece was filled with large trees at the time of Plato, then they cut to burn,
              and brought in the sheep....

              Hello Jason
              I believe I have answered this question before (on the results of the seeding
              project - with Fukuoka-San' s participation) .

              The volunteers had an agreement with the national government that they would
              safeguard the area - they were to pay the herders to keep the goats and sheep
              away from the area.

              A few weeks after the area was seeded, the government changed hands from one
              party to the other; the herders were not paid, and as soon as the seed balls
              sprouted and the area turned green, the goats and sheep had a field day -
              nothing was left.

              I am just passing along what Panos told me - I have not been at the seeding
              project.

              Kostas
            • Jean Villafuerte
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                What a waste!
                jean
                http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                http://www.tcformoc.com/
                http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                  To all, Here's a great show from David Suzuki. Soil microbes and no till
                  discussed.

                  http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bottomline_20110127_43608.mp3

                • Jason Stewart
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Dear all,

                    Thank you very much Steve Grannis for these informative radio shows hosted
                    by David Suzuki,
                    (for those who don't know:) Japanese-Canadian internationally famous (in the
                    'West') leading figure, in his very very active life in ecological
                    sustainability (activist), and former professor of genetic science,

                    –i found the full podcasts page at:
                    -> feed://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/bottomline.xml
                    from: -> http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent#bottomline

                    On Soils, the 4 segments (A & B of each) of the 2 whole programs, make IMHO
                    worthwhile information filled, myth-busting and convention–transcending
                    programs, with some real points of entertainment value also.
                    (For one of several examples:
                    Joel Salatin, USA, has a great sense of humour,
                    rather loose in scholarly terms while very funny, witty and engaging,
                    –no wonder he's an international speaker–
                    not always so scholarly accurate (correct, although mostly so) and
                    not always so strictly sustainable as our legend late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                    sensei,
                    but very helpful entertaining,
                    engaging–for–otherwise–uninterested–or–skeptical–people, and informative
                    speaker, all the same, and
                    in the same direction, polyculture,
                    alike to, "mimicking" of, nature, farming
                    as our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu accomplished, in actual nature –in terms
                    of at once both philosophical awareness of himself as nature, part thereof, and
                    full farming practice ie. –fully accomplished nature farming–
                    ie. –i mean, Joel Salatin evidently, taking himself and all us listeners to him,
                    in the direction towards nature, via towards our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka
                    Masanobu ... .
                    (in this radio program with David Suzuki and in his farming talks
                    internationally –he spoke across parts of Australia recently for example, eg.
                    see:
                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bushtelegraph/stories/2010/3077380.htm , and:
                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/2910011.htm )
                    My Reference: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
                    )

                    Thanks again,
                    Biggest best wishes to all, all life, all persons, all human persons and
                    non-human persons.
                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3081310.htm

                    Jason Stewart
                    —busy in practice in the nature farm, region:far east gippsland, state:
                    Victoria, Oz
                    (vernacular for so called Australia).