soil

  • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
      Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
      to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
      Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
      people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
      system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
      source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
      Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
      in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
      be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

      Kyosan
    • Michael Meredith
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
        Kyosal,

        How do you know it will not work in dry areas?

        Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?

        Michael

        Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
        to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
        Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
        people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
        system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
        source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
        Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
        in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
        be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

        Kyosan
      • michaeljking2007
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
          If lack of water is the main problem then maybe you could look into using swales to create a better environment for plants and then build on that with seedballs/natural farming:

          Greening the desert:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

          Michael

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

          > Kyosal,
          >
          > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
          >
          > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
          >

          > Michael
          >

          > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
          > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
          > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
          > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
          > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
          > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
          > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
          > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
          > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
          >
          > Kyosan

        • David Douglas
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
            Hello to all,

            Would you folks be able to recommend a site that describes producing
            charcoal for Terra Preta purposes on a small scale?

            I'm not sure if I would be able to do this here in the Adirondacks due to
            the
            strict new burn barrel laws and the amount of smoke that it would give off.
            However, I would like to learn more about the procedure, in particular how
            control the burn temperature so that the charcoal isn't overheated.

            Thank you very much.
            Best regards,

            David Douglas
            Adirondack Mountains
            NY, US

            www.artofdaviddouglas.com

            On 11/4/09, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

            > Kyosal,
            >
            > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
            >
            > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
            >
            > Michael
            >
            > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
            > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
            > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
            > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
            > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
            > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
            > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
            > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
            > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
            >
            > Kyosan

          • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
              Michael Meredith wrote:

              > Kyosal,
              >
              > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
              >
              > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
              >
              > Michael
              >
              > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
              > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
              > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
              > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
              > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
              > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
              > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
              > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
              > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer
              > owns.
              >
              > Kyosan

              Dear Michael,

              I hope we do not missunderstand each other too much. I am not against
              Water Harvesting - it ´s a wonderful idea what everyone should practise
              however and whereever. Off course it would extend Dieter´s potential for
              longer time than without, but (I don´t know why there is always a *but*,
              we have to take it as it is and live and work with it . ;-) ) in a long
              dry season, like in Portugal, one would be in need of so much water,
              that the owned land maybe would not be big enough. Everywhere collecting
              pots, troughs, smaller or bigger lakes... whatever. And the agriculture
              land will not grow, not just for a good idea. I would like to have it
              work in a better way...

              As well, Terra Preta is a very nice, very good and by ancient people
              long time proofed tool. I will never say nothing against it. I myself
              are in process of creating Terra Preta. But (Oh Lord! Another "but),
              I´am living in a region with periodic rain. My rain harvesting this year
              was absolutely more than succesfull! Thousands of liters in storage and
              only a very few times in need to use. End of month September, when the
              first cold and frosty nights came up, I had to let the water from the
              storages go the nearby creek. Otherwise it would have blast my storage
              containers.

              The origin of Terra Preta is different from the climatic situation at my
              or at Dieter´s location. Dieter´s location is, hmh, let me say: poor. My
              location tends more too the rich. Off course different to the location
              where Terra Preta was found. In Amazonian region there is coldness,
              there are no frosty season like german winter. I am a german livingi
              Southwest of Germany - latitude of Strassbourg/France. In wintertime
              soil microbes in my region go to a kind of "sleep", like hedgehogs do.
              Prücess of Terra Preta will also got to have a winter rest, start again
              in spring time, depending on how long frosty climatic soil situation
              will be. It is different from year to year, sometimes from October to
              May, sometimes November to April - every changing possible. Absolutely
              NOT the same like in Portugal or whereever in the world.

              Water is the key for any process of life on this planet. Still our
              common question is and will be: How to get enough.

              You know what I mean?

              In respect, Kyosan
            • Michael Meredith
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 6, 2009
                Seems to me that any one in a dry climate would want to do swales, tanks, and charcoal, as the charcoal is permanant, acts to hold onto water, and , further, is a sponge for micro-organisms to hide in. In fact, many sewage plants, and bio-gas units, use charcoal for this very purpose. His organic matter blows away, or cooks off, in the amazon, it washes away, and cooks off. Could be something there(for the old Dieter).

                Heres some more stuff I am doing...............

                I finally got the clothing started on the 30 foot tall statue. See some photos here.............

                .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/meredith848/?albumview=slideshow.

                Then..... bigsculpture.org...., which explains it

                Michael

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 24 1:25 PM
                  I didnt see any photos of what it looked like several years later, so feel that
                  I wasted my time.
                  Michael

                  > Please go through this video.
                  >
                  > http://www.archive org/details/ MasanobuFukuoka- ArnissaGreece- 1998
                  >
                  > fukuoka in video, afforestation using seed balls.
                • Michael Meredith
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 28 4:29 PM
                    Greece was filled with large trees at the time of Plato, then they cut to burn,
                    and brought in the sheep....

                    Hello Jason
                    I believe I have answered this question before (on the results of the seeding
                    project - with Fukuoka-San' s participation) .

                    The volunteers had an agreement with the national government that they would
                    safeguard the area - they were to pay the herders to keep the goats and sheep
                    away from the area.

                    A few weeks after the area was seeded, the government changed hands from one
                    party to the other; the herders were not paid, and as soon as the seed balls
                    sprouted and the area turned green, the goats and sheep had a field day -
                    nothing was left.

                    I am just passing along what Panos told me - I have not been at the seeding
                    project.

                    Kostas
                  • Jean Villafuerte
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 28 10:39 PM
                      What a waste!
                      jean
                      http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                      http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                      http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                      http://www.tcformoc.com/
                      http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                      visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                        To all, Here's a great show from David Suzuki. Soil microbes and no till
                        discussed.

                        http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bottomline_20110127_43608.mp3

                      • Jason Stewart
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 4, 2011
                          Dear all,

                          Thank you very much Steve Grannis for these informative radio shows hosted
                          by David Suzuki,
                          (for those who don't know:) Japanese-Canadian internationally famous (in the
                          'West') leading figure, in his very very active life in ecological
                          sustainability (activist), and former professor of genetic science,

                          –i found the full podcasts page at:
                          -> feed://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/bottomline.xml
                          from: -> http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent#bottomline

                          On Soils, the 4 segments (A & B of each) of the 2 whole programs, make IMHO
                          worthwhile information filled, myth-busting and convention–transcending
                          programs, with some real points of entertainment value also.
                          (For one of several examples:
                          Joel Salatin, USA, has a great sense of humour,
                          rather loose in scholarly terms while very funny, witty and engaging,
                          –no wonder he's an international speaker–
                          not always so scholarly accurate (correct, although mostly so) and
                          not always so strictly sustainable as our legend late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                          sensei,
                          but very helpful entertaining,
                          engaging–for–otherwise–uninterested–or–skeptical–people, and informative
                          speaker, all the same, and
                          in the same direction, polyculture,
                          alike to, "mimicking" of, nature, farming
                          as our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu accomplished, in actual nature –in terms
                          of at once both philosophical awareness of himself as nature, part thereof, and
                          full farming practice ie. –fully accomplished nature farming–
                          ie. –i mean, Joel Salatin evidently, taking himself and all us listeners to him,
                          in the direction towards nature, via towards our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka
                          Masanobu ... .
                          (in this radio program with David Suzuki and in his farming talks
                          internationally –he spoke across parts of Australia recently for example, eg.
                          see:
                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bushtelegraph/stories/2010/3077380.htm , and:
                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/2910011.htm )
                          My Reference: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
                          )

                          Thanks again,
                          Biggest best wishes to all, all life, all persons, all human persons and
                          non-human persons.
                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3081310.htm

                          Jason Stewart
                          —busy in practice in the nature farm, region:far east gippsland, state:
                          Victoria, Oz
                          (vernacular for so called Australia).