Greece Reforestation - 2009

  • KONSTANTINOS
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2009
      I have enclosed 3 fotos from this years reforestation in southern Greece (the Peloponese region) - 10-2009 Greece reforestation album.

      The weather this year in this region has been very cooperative - an exceptional fall with plenty of rains, that the region has not seen in the last 30 years.

      Almost of the seed balls have sprouted trees - I hope that the weather continues to cooperate and that the seedlings will survive to become trees - they have many tests to pass, including winter freezing and most important the long hot/brutal summers that the region experiences - I am very hopeful and optimistic.

      Thank u for these great discussions and information provided in this forum.

      Kostas
    • Tom Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2009
        Anything you can do to mitigate washing of soil in really hard rains and
        slow down runoff, especially on steeper slopes, will help your trees
        tremendously and probably help them survive drought as well. Sawdust, wood
        chips from tree trimming operations, any kind of compost spread on the
        surface are all good materials and usually free to get.

        Trees should put down roots deep enough to not be impacted by woody material
        temporarily making nitrogen available at the surface because of
        decomposition and eventually will provide needed nutrients to promote
        growth.

        You can see what is going on in our food forest
        and get more information about local food security at
        <http://camaspermaculture.blogspot.com/> Camas Permaculture

        Tom Gibson