RE: [fukuoka_farming] India, Sustainability and NF

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
      Hi Thomas,

      Should you venture north to Nepal or other himalayan regions, you might want to check out the intensely practical agroforestry and no-dig polycultural methods of Chris Evans. See his developing website http://www.himalayanpermaculture.com for a few more details. He says he will eventually make available on the website many of the helpful instructional booklets he has written, beginning with "What is Mixed Vegetable Gardening?"  I admire Chris Evan's pragmatism and attention to detail that even the smallest and poorest farmer can put to use immediately.(His soil-building combo of mustard, buckwheat, and fenugreek is ingenious.)  His fields usually supply good quantities of vegetables and other food 7 months of the year. To me reliable production of nutritious food in a sustainable way is what farming, natural or otherwise (he leans very heavily towards natural), is all about.

      Bob Monie
      New Orleans, LA 70119
      USA
      Zone 8

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009
        Hi Thomas,

        You can try the farms listed in  - www.wwoofindia.org, world wide opportunity for organic farmers..

        Other farmers which will be good to visit will be

        Bhaskar Save
        Subash Sharma
        Kailashamurthy
        Narayana Reddy

        Will give the contact details in a separate mail.

        It will be nice to visit the communities..navadarshanam and timbaktu.

        I can give a few farmers in kerala also later and welcome to visit my farm also in palakkad, kerala

        Regards,
        Nandan

        I'm going to India (arriving in Chennai on the 9th December), and I'm planning to live and work for a while in a few different places such as in an organic/natural farm in Auroville (which is a city/community close to Pondicherry) , in a school called Sholai School, which has a few farms, lots of alternative energy projects and so on, close to Kodaikanal, in Tamil Nadu as well, and at the Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary in Kerala, where I'll probably be working with both farming and conservation of native plants.

[...]

        Thank you,

        Thomas

      • Yugandhar S
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009
          Dear Nandan sir,
          We are a group of four friends interested in natural farming. We have done
          some homework on it. We have visited the web sites of Bhaskar Save,
          Kailashmurthy etc.

          I want to know any established natural farmer practicing in and around
          Hyderabad (AP). We have found one such farmer and made a visit, but that
          farm is very much in initial stages.

          Please let us know of any such farmers' contact details. Can you also share
          the contact details of Sri Subhash Sharma and Sri Narayana Reddy ( e-mail,
          web sites, phones etc). The website you mentioned does not have a list of
          farmers. Can you please provide the direct link to it ( if any ).

          I have also contacted Sri Raju Titus and Sri Umendra Dutt.

          Thanks and Regards
          Yugandhar

          On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 24, 2009
            Dear Yugandhar,

            Nice to hear about the group of 4 coming to natural farming.

            I don't know anyone near Hyderabad doing natural farming. You can contact - Suresh Kossarraju - sureshkosaraju@... - who had translated one straw revolution (

            Gaddiparakato viplavam) to Telugu and had met Fukuoka during one of his visit to India. He may be able to help you.

            Also contact Bablu Ganguly of Timbaktu collective - www.timbaktu.org. He was also inspired by Fukuoka and started this.

            There is one organic farmer Mr. Goriparthi Narasimha Raju Yadav in Krishna disrtrict of AP who was awarded Padmasri by Indian government. He entered the Limca Book of Records when a mango tree on his farm gave a yield of 23, 456 mangoes.

            Here is the woof india farmers list - http://woofindia.blogspot.com/2008/09/woof-india-list.html. I haven't visited any of these farms..

            Will send contact numbers of Subash Sharma and Narayana reddy in a separate mail.

            Keep in touch and share the group's experiences

            Regards,
            Nandan
            +91-9845180292

            On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@ yahoo.com

            > wrote:

            > Hi Thomas,

            > You can try the farms listed in - www.wwoofindia. org, world wide

            > opportunity for organic farmers..

            > Other farmers which will be good to visit will be

            > Bhaskar Save

            > Subash Sharma

            > Kailashamurthy

            > Narayana Reddy

            > Will give the contact details in a separate mail.

            > It will be nice to visit the communities. .navadarshanam and timbaktu.

            > I can give a few farmers in kerala also later and welcome to visit my farm

            > also in palakkad, kerala

            > Regards,

            > Nandan

            > --- On Tue, 10/13/09, thomcprestes <thomcprestes@ yahoo.com. br<thomcprestes% 40yahoo.com. br>>

            > wrote:

            > From: thomcprestes <thomcprestes@ yahoo.com. br<thomcprestes% 40yahoo.com. br>

            > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] India, Sustainability and NF

            > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>

            > Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:21 PM

            > Dear friends,

            > I'm going to India (arriving in Chennai on the 9th December), and I'm

            > planning to live and work for a while in a few different places such as in

            > an organic/natural farm in Auroville (which is a city/community close to

            > Pondicherry) , in a school called Sholai School, which has a few farms, lots

            > of alternative energy projects and so on, close to Kodaikanal, in Tamil Nadu

            > as well, and at the Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary in Kerala, where I'll

            > probably be working with both farming and conservation of native plants.

            > One of the main things I want to explore in India is sustainability,

            > meaning specially natural farming, natural building, appropriate technology

            > (alternative energy and so on) and simple and sane living.

            > I'll surely try to visit as many Natural Farmers as I can (hopefully quite

            > a few from this mailing list), perhaps work for them for a while as a

            > volunteer\apprentic e, and I'll be writing to them as soon as my plans of

            > visiting them become a bit more concrete.

            > Now I thought it could be useful to write to this mailing list asking for

            > any suggestions regarding places such as farms, communities etc., which

            > would be worth visiting, or events, meetings etc. that would be worth

            > attending. I'm obviously specially interested in Natural Farming, but would

            > be happy to hear suggestions regarding others of my interests as well.

            > I'm also very interested in yoga, nutrition and health in general

            > (ayurveda), clothes making etc. If anyone wants to send me a message which

            > is not really about Natural Farming, you could perhaps email me directly on

            > thomasprestes@ gmail.com

            > Thank you,

            > Thomas

          • Yugandhar S
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2009
              Dear Nandan Sir,
              Thanks for all the detailed and useful information.

              Regards
              Yugandhar

              On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...