  • srikanth_ma@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      Nandan,

      It will be of great help if you can post details on paddy varieties and sowing time that can be tried out for naturaling farming method....

      Thanks in advance
      - Srikanth

    • Venkat Iyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Dear Srikanth and Nandan
        I have tried paddy and am growing it without transplanting. Besides the
        sowing times please try and figure out what kind of soil the paddy grows.
        The best way out is to try and get the rice that grows in your area only. It
        has to be traditional variety and not hybrid of course. Bringing in
        varieties from other regions may not work well. I have burned my fingers
        trying that. The moisture content of your soil and the number of days it
        retains the same is the key to getting a good crop, unless of course you are
        relying on irrigation and have control over the water. One more word of
        caution, most farmers are doing transplanting so the roots of the plant are
        pushed into the soil while when we do it the roots are just at the top of
        the soil, hence the requirement of moisture for our crop will be higher than
        the transplanted crop of the same variety. Please consider this when u
        select the variety.
        All the Best

        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM, <srikanth_ma@...> wrote:

        > Nandan,
        >
        > It will be of great help if you can post details on paddy varieties and
        > sowing time that can be tried out for naturaling farming method....
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > - Srikanth

        Venkat Iyer
        203, Madhyam Society,
        M G Road, Goregaon (West),
        Mumbai - 400 062
        India
        Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
        (Mob) : 9869269067
        (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2009
          Venkat,

          Thanks for more tips.

          Srikanth - It will be better if you can contact Hoysala Appaji (Hassan) and B.N.Nandish (Shimoga) for more information on local varieties. Both of them are into seed saving and uses local varieties. Nandish has 15 acres of paddy and uses only legumes as manure.

          Here is their contact numbers.

          Hoysala Appaji -  9449462397
          Nandish - 9845553078

          Regards,

          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM, <srikanth_ma@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Nandan,

          > It will be of great help if you can post details on paddy varieties and

          > sowing time that can be tried out for naturaling farming method....

          > Thanks in advance

          > - Srikanth

          Venkat Iyer

          203, Madhyam Society,