Re: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
      Dear friends,
      This year I tried rice with two methods first I allowed ground cover to come
      up than i scarred seeds in standing cover cut back after one weak. Second i
      dibbled rice seeds in summer both experiments were successful but in the
      month of September flood of river stand in field for 5 days destroyed all
      crops.
      But my loss comparatively less due to less input. Condition of near by
      farmers is very bed
      Thanks
      Raju

      On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <
      p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

      > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming
      > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under
      > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course
      > there are a few people who could succeed..
      >
      > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san
      > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it
      > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may
      > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to
      > get a stable system?
      >

      > Regards,
      > Nandan
      >
      > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@...<srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@... <srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
      > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...
      > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
      >

      > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making
      > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For
      > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural
      > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my
      > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our
      > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still
      > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time
      > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at
      >
      > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

    • srinath hr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
        Nandan,
        You have rightly said "Weeds problem may disappear with no-tilling and
        continous mulching,"
        MAy be we can also look at the following to minimise the chances of weeds
        overgrowing in the field,
        - Proper timing of seeds for the next crop.
        - Repeating the cycle of natural cultivation without a break.

        2009/9/19 Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...>

        > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming
        > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under
        > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course
        > there are a few people who could succeed..
        >
        > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san
        > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it
        > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may
        > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to
        > get a stable system?
        >

        > Regards,
        > Nandan
        >
        > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@...<srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@... <srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
        > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...
        > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
        >

        > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making
        > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For
        > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural
        > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my
        > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our
        > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still
        > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time
        > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at
        >
        > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

        Regards

        Srinath HR

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
          Srinath,

          Recently while I was talking a natural farmer from Hassan, Karnataka called Hoysala Appaji ... He mentioned that the local traditional varieties of paddy called Rajamudi and Rajabhoga grows very tall (4 to 5 ft) and compete with weeds well. The hybrid varieties are short and does not compete well. He is able to do paddy without weeding..

          2009/9/19 Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@ yahoo.com>

          > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming

          > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under

          > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course

          > there are a few people who could succeed..

          > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san

          > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it

          > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may

          > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to

          > get a stable system?

          > Regards,

          > Nandan

          > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@ yahoo.com<srikanth_ma% 40yahoo.com> >

          > wrote:

          > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@ yahoo.com <srikanth_ma% 40yahoo.com> >

          > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...

          > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>

          > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM

          > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making

          > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For

          > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural

          > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my

          > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our

          > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still

          > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time

          > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at

          > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

          Regards

          Srinath HR

        • kumarskp2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
            Dear Nandan,
            It could be very helpful if you give me contact detail of hoysala appaji.

            Regards
            Kumarswamy