Our continued expeiments with natural farming...

  • srikanth_ma
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2009
      It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at

      http://vanashree.in/Latest_News.htm
    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
        Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course there are a few people who could succeed..

        Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to get a stable system?

        Regards,
        Nandan

        It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at

        http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
          Dear friends,
          This year I tried rice with two methods first I allowed ground cover to come
          up than i scarred seeds in standing cover cut back after one weak. Second i
          dibbled rice seeds in summer both experiments were successful but in the
          month of September flood of river stand in field for 5 days destroyed all
          crops.
          But my loss comparatively less due to less input. Condition of near by
          farmers is very bed
          Thanks
          Raju

          On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <
          p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

          > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming
          > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under
          > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course
          > there are a few people who could succeed..
          >
          > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san
          > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it
          > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may
          > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to
          > get a stable system?
          >

          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          >
          > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@...<srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@... <srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
          > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...
          > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
          >

          > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making
          > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For
          > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural
          > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my
          > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our
          > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still
          > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time
          > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at
          >
          > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

        • srinath hr
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
            Nandan,
            You have rightly said "Weeds problem may disappear with no-tilling and
            continous mulching,"
            MAy be we can also look at the following to minimise the chances of weeds
            overgrowing in the field,
            - Proper timing of seeds for the next crop.
            - Repeating the cycle of natural cultivation without a break.

            2009/9/19 Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...>

            > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming
            > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under
            > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course
            > there are a few people who could succeed..
            >
            > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san
            > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it
            > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may
            > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to
            > get a stable system?
            >

            > Regards,
            > Nandan
            >
            > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@...<srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@... <srikanth_ma%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...
            > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
            >

            > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making
            > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For
            > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural
            > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my
            > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our
            > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still
            > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time
            > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at
            >
            > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

            Regards

            Srinath HR

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
              Srinath,

              Recently while I was talking a natural farmer from Hassan, Karnataka called Hoysala Appaji ... He mentioned that the local traditional varieties of paddy called Rajamudi and Rajabhoga grows very tall (4 to 5 ft) and compete with weeds well. The hybrid varieties are short and does not compete well. He is able to do paddy without weeding..

              2009/9/19 Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@ yahoo.com>

              > Nice to see more and more people becoming successful with natural farming

              > in orchards and pulses cultivation. The theory that legumes grows well under

              > grass seems to be really working..But long way to go with paddy, of course

              > there are a few people who could succeed..

              > Is there any data available what kind of failures were faced by Fukuoka san

              > during the paddy cultivation? It looks like it takes some years to make it

              > successful, the major issue being weeds take control. Weeds problem may

              > disappear with no-tilling and continous mulching, but how long it takes to

              > get a stable system?

              > Regards,

              > Nandan

              > --- On Thu, 9/17/09, srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@ yahoo.com<srikanth_ma% 40yahoo.com> >

              > wrote:

              > From: srikanth_ma <srikanth_ma@ yahoo.com <srikanth_ma% 40yahoo.com> >

              > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Our continued expeiments with natural farming...

              > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>

              > Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:48 PM

              > It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I seem to be making

              > steady progress with natural farming, some successes and some failures. For

              > the 3rd year in succession Horsegram & Tur is doing pretty well in natural

              > farming method. Yield in last 2 years have been same or better than my

              > neighbours who practice intensive farming methods. Stopping grazing of our

              > cows in the land over last 10 months has a dramatic impact. However still

              > struggling with paddy, but firmly believe that it just a matter of time

              > before we harvest them succesfully. The photos and updates are shared at

              > http://vanashree. in/Latest_ News.htm

              Regards

              Srinath HR

            • kumarskp2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
                Dear Nandan,
                It could be very helpful if you give me contact detail of hoysala appaji.

                Regards
                Kumarswamy