9067RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: useful trees

  • Linda Shewan
    Mar 1, 2009
      A number of acacia trees have edible seeds like A. victoriae, A.longifolia
      (also called A.sophorae), A.notabilis, A.retinodes, A.pycnantha and
      A.fimbriata. Mostly, commercial products are prepared by lightly baking the
      seed, then grinding it to a powder. The most popular commercial products
      containing wattle seed are breads, biscuits, cakes, and ice cream - Wattle
      seed is gluten-free and so is suitable for particular diets, but in
      bread-making the absence of gluten affects the texture, and so wattle seed
      flour is combined with a higher proportion of ordinary wheaten flour. Wattle
      seed could be a useful ingredient in diabetic diets, as the carbohydrates
      are absorbed quite slowly, so providing energy over a long period.
      Mongongo trees - Why should we garden, when there are so many mongongo
      trees in the world? - !Kung tribesman. See

      Moringa Oleifera - you can use all parts of it! Check this out...
      http://enviro.org.au/article_moringaTree.asp it is truly amazing. I have
      tried to grow some here but it is too cold - Victoria, Australia. I have one
      tree that survived last winter - well it died back to roots and then came
      back in spring - but it is still only 20cm tall whereas it grows really fast
      in sub-tropical/tropical environments. I want a greenhouse (or at least a
      house with north facing windows) sometimes!

      Also the tamarind tree (Tamarindus indica) - it is one of the most useful of
      tropical trees - for shelter, shade, food firebreaks, fuel wood, forage,
      fodder, bee food and mulch. Leaves, flowers and immature pods are eaten as
      vegetables, while these items plus the bark and roots have medicinal

      I recommend the books Edible Forest Gardens but Dave Jacke and Eric
      Toensmeier . Book 2 has an amazing appendix cover vast numbers of temperate
      climate edible plants including trees, shrubs, herbs, ground covers and root
      crops. Also http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html is a fantastic
      resource. This search
      &CAN=EDIB lists all the plants with edible leaves, including trees. You can
      click on a tree to get more detailed information. I use this resource

      Hope this helps, or is interesting at least.

      Cheers, Linda