8103Re: Group Owner Please! was: OT: My list of Yahoo Groups -ICK

  • robin
    Oct 16, 2008
      oh no! in a moment of utter stupidity, i signed up to grouply just a
      few minutes ago. they got me, which doesn't usually happen. then, as
      soon as i read the next post, i realized i'd been had...

      i immediately unsubscribed, but now they have my password. should i
      change my yahoo password? i'm so sorry, i hope you won't put me
      out.************robin--- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Stephen
      Canner <s_canner@...> wrote:

      > This is exactly the problem. The only way to know for sure is to
      search the members list for "@..." e-mail addresses. There is
      only one member currently subscribed to this group with such an
      address. It's my understanding though that all Grouply members do not
      necessarily show up that way.

      > I've read through much that's been written online about Grouply and
      hesitate to ban or unsub people from the list because of innocently
      joining such a site. Also, it seems to me that if Grouply is data
      mining in the ways indicated that Yahoo would very easily have a basis
      for a lawsuit and at the very least should be introducing better
      security measures to prevent this. Much of the rhetoric online about
      this seems to be a bit panicked in my opinion. There are many much
      simpler ways that your info shows up in spammers' address books every
      day, and this is a public forum so anything posted here can show up
      other places by other means than Grouply as well. Unfortunately this
      is part of the reality of the internet.

      > So in short, I'm not going to police this list to the extent to keep
      Grouply members out unless I see it becoming a real (visible and
      documentable) problem. I already police it pretty well, I think (ever
      wonder why there's pretty much ZERO spam on this list? :)

      > Anyway, that's my take on it,
      >
      > Stephen Lee Canner
      > The list owner

      Yahoo Groups -ICK