7716Re: Natural Farming for a Living

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Aug 3, 2008
      Spectacular insight! The book was written by an archealogy professor
      in California whose specialty is ancient peoples, more specifically
      to this book those who were in California before the Spanish. Her
      research made her take notice because their ways were similar to
      those of most of the ancient cultures she had studied.

      Their very existence was as a part of Nature....not an addendum to
      it. They passed down through generations what plant would do this,
      to eat when this was in short supply, what would save a life in the
      rare instance of that disease, etc. They cared for what was around
      them. They stepped in only when it was necessary to help any/all of
      that survive. It was in their ancient lore that they must step in to
      fix it.

      When the Spanish came they literally killed the animals they depended
      upon, make that coexisted with, as well as basically agent-oranging
      the landscape in order to import plants from Mexico and Europe that
      made them feel more like at home.

      When the Nature they were a part of was destroyed they began to be
      destroyed because their diet, their medicine, everything that they
      were a part of was gone.

      I am encapsulating much of it, but you begin to get the idea....I
      hope. It is not a thin book. The book is called, "Tending the Wild"
      by M. Kat Anderson.

      I think Jamie has touched on this from time to time....but he worded
      it differently...maybe better than I am. But I got excited when you
      figured it out so quickly.

      We can't just go in and tame the acreage...or the garden. We need to
      listen to it, so to speak. Emilia used to tell me to sit in the area
      and watch for at least one whole day. Take a notebook, if I thought
      I needed to do so. At first just sitting there seems to accomplish
      nothing, but as the time passes you begin to 'see' it the way it
      is...not the way you want to make it. I began to see that where I
      wanted to make a bed was not the right place among other things. You
      see what is a part of the whole.....not the whole of the part.

      I hope I am wording this right. I have been talking/writing on the
      opposite side of what I am trying to since the surgery. Not sure
      why. Frustrates me. If someone can unravel it better, please do
      so.

      Gloria

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Ben Kobus <angemalaika@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm jumping into the discussion without having read all the
      contributions, but just wish to contribute a thought which might help
      resolve the issues around human "interference".

      > If we reframe the issue considering man as part of nature, not as
      something more or less alien to nature, with a peculiar gift of
      intelligence to contribute, this might help.

      > This privilege gives man a peculiar responsibility. Enter the
      notion of stewardship. If I have understood Fukuoka aright, his
      philosophy is one of humble stewardship, contrasting with the
      arrogant and hubristic attitutude to human intelligence evinced in
      the technological or bullying approach to farming. Nature "rewards"
      this humility by good yields with less effort. In the same way being
      wise stewards of our selves leads to greater health and vitality,
      less spending on medical technology, and so on.

      > Fukuoka insists that we know nothing and that our responsibility is
      to listen to nature and to work with it; this embraces the listening
      to one's own self - body, spirit, so at to be a wise steward of it
      too. There is no distinction between man and nature, just a
      difference of gifts.

      > There is included in all this the paradox that though it is
      impossible to understand or know nature (in the way that the techno-
      scientific approach aspires to and often claims to), our reason
      nevertheless has a natural role in which it is adequate, and that is
      to listen and watch and then, in a sort of way, obey the nature of
      things: things as they are, not as we want them to be or as we try to
      force them to be. Such obedience leads to the natural consequences of
      wise stewardship which are health, harmony and abundance.
    • Show all 92 messages in this topic