7525Re: NG Greece - Seeding Projects

  • karoubas
    Apr 15, 2008
      Hello Ayla,

      It sounds like you found a great place to stay - pine trees - olive
      trees - small village life - do let us know when you set up your site
      - its much more preferable to visit such a place than the crowded
      cities - it also sounds like a great place to start a natural farm

      Kostas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "ayla seyhun" <aylaseyhun@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I felt to give some information about myself and my life.
      >
      > We (my husband and I) have left the big city a year ago, bought an old
      > caravan and
      > a 1967 model of land rover and moved into an unknown future for us.
      >
      > The universe kept us at an area where Gods and Godesses lived, like
      Zeus,
> [...]
      m) with
      > pine trees. There are more than 100 types of endemic vegetation in
      the area
      > and many other are found every year. Some part of the area is a national
      > park. The oxygen in the air is accepted as the best on the world for the
      > human body. Good for asthma.
      >
      > There are also thermal baths around. The hotels in the area have
      little bed
      > capacity. No mass tourism is available.
      >
      > But for me, there is a very big problem now. The old villagers have
      their
      > own ways of natural farming. They dont use hormones, pesticizers,
      > fertilizers... they dont have the money to afford them... but the
      youth dont
      > want to learn these and follow their methods... they want to leave
      for the
      > big cities... so if we dont learn from them, all will be
      forgotten... what
      > I intend to do is to bring in people to these villages who will ask
      > questions to the old people, appreciate them... and young people
      will begin
      > to think, oh, if I learn these, too, I will be honored and I can
      survive and
      > make money in my homeland. There is no need to go to the big cities...
      >
      > I could have made a family trust in me and had them change a part of
      their
      > house to a guest house. Now from big cities people make their
      holiday plans
      > to visit this village, eat local food and learn from them how they
      live... I
      > wish and dream a lot that you come over, too. See what and how they do,
      > encourage them, exchange ideas.... for a natural world to live
      together...

      > I promise to prepare an english web site to show you the photos of
      this 500
      > years old village.
      >

      > ayla
      >

      > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:48 AM, karoubas <karoubas@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Ayla,
      > > Its nice of you to offer a place for us to stay - its says a lot about
      > > what I already heard about - the hospitality of the Turkish people.
      > >
      > > Let me suggest that we should plan to do seeding projects in Turkey to
      > > reforest (turn into forests) the barren areas that I see in pictures -
      > > its important to reverse the desertification process that is occurring
      > > along the Mediterranean.
      > >
      > > Seeding projects should be done all around the areas that are affected
      > > (Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Egypt, Libya etc) - but we need to get moving
      > > - small at first.
      > >
      > > On your question about the trees I planted - I did plan about 8 olive
      > > trees this year - in keeping with the natural farming principles I
      > > planted a large variety of trees - apples grapes cherry trees etc. -
      > > the land will show me in time what is right for my area.

      <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,

      fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>