7523Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: NG Greece - Seeding Projects

  • Robert Monie
    Apr 14, 2008
      Ayla,

      There may be no way to keep the youngsters from moving to the city; the world demographic trend is overwhelmingly toward urban development. The relevant question may be not whether we are going to have cities everywhere (we probably will), but what kind of cities and whether they will be able to accomodate sustainable farming. What is most in danger now is the loss of farming traditions such as you are witnessing in your 500-year old village. If you or someone else does not preserve these traditions in film, text, audio, notebooks etc., the memory of them will blow away like leaves in the wind. And then, should the younger generation decide to build an ecocity or eco-neighborhood, they may do fine with building designs and materials and alternative sources of energy but come up short with appropriate agriculture for the area because the tradition was not preserved for (or by) them.

      Many traditional methods of farming can be imported into the city, even the ecocity, but usually minus the farm animals. One strength of Fukuoka-style natural farming is that it doesn't rely much on farm animals (horses, cows, oxen, goats) with the exception of chickens, which, I believe, Fukuoka considers optional because green manure and cover crops can replace animal manure.

      Best wishes,

      Bob Monie

      ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends,

      I felt to give some information about myself and my life.

      We (my husband and I) have left the big city a year ago, bought an old
      caravan and
      a 1967 model of land rover and moved into an unknown future for us.

      The universe kept us at an area where Gods and Godesses lived, like Zeus,
      Afrodite, Paris...
      The hills here are covered with olive trees and high hills (800-1800 m) with
      pine trees. There are more than 100 types of endemic vegetation in the area
      and many other are found every year. Some part of the area is a national
      park. The oxygen in the air is accepted as the best on the world for the
      human body. Good for asthma.

      There are also thermal baths around. The hotels in the area have little bed
      capacity. No mass tourism is available.

      But for me, there is a very big problem now. The old villagers have their
      own ways of natural farming. They dont use hormones, pesticizers,
      fertilizers... they dont have the money to afford them... but the youth dont
      want to learn these and follow their methods... they want to leave for the
      big cities... so if we dont learn from them, all will be forgotten... what
      I intend to do is to bring in people to these villages who will ask
      questions to the old people, appreciate them... and young people will begin
      to think, oh, if I learn these, too, I will be honored and I can survive and
      make money in my homeland. There is no need to go to the big cities...

      I could have made a family trust in me and had them change a part of their
      house to a guest house. Now from big cities people make their holiday plans
      to visit this village, eat local food and learn from them how they live... I
      wish and dream a lot that you come over, too. See what and how they do,
      encourage them, exchange ideas.... for a natural world to live together...

      I promise to prepare an english web site to show you the photos of this 500
      years old village.

      ayla