7516Re: NG Greece - Seeding Projects

  • karoubas
    Apr 12, 2008
      Bob,
      That's not a bad idea - we are making a good effort here in Greece to
      save the old seed varieties, and there are few people going around
      writing down different ways that people traditionally grew food - its
      a race against time for both the seed varieties (many have been lost)
      and methods.

      I would not call natural farming these methods though.

      Kostas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
      wrote:

      > Ayla,
      >
      > You and Kostas need to put these traditional farming practices
      into some documentary form (booklet, photos, DVD) to preserve it. I
      have Vietnamese friends who vaguely recall their grandmothers' way of
      growing but have lost most of the details and gotten out of practice.
      > Now they say: "I think this is the way she did it when I was
      little, but I'm not sure--I didn't always pay attention." It is sad
      how quickly such knowledge can disappear when areas are "modernized"
      or people have to migrate and new ways quickly take the place of old.

      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Bob Monie
      > New Orleans, LA
      > USA
      > ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
      > Dear Kostas,
      >
      > I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,
      >
      > we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on
      centuries
      > of
      > live knowledge.
      >
      > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
      products...
      > I am sure that
      > you have similiar old villagers around.
      >
      > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
      regions
      > and
      > share it with friends in the group.
      >
      > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
      visa coming
      > here, but we do pay going
      > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
      >
      > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
      may visit
      > you and us in one package.
      > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Ayla
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Raju,
      > >
      > > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
      > > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
      > >
      > > Kostas
      > >
      > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com ,
      > > "Raju Titus"
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear friend,
      > > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Raju

      > > pleased.

      Fukuoka