7487Re: Spring runoff and flooding: Big can of Worms!!

  • Jeff
    Apr 1, 2008
      Clay,

      you have opened up a chasm,.....

      OK- from a scientific point of view-
      The answer depends on
      a) what crops you're planting, and which vareities
      1) are you pushing the envelop with longer season crops, or
      sequence planting?
      b) how much rain you get during the growing season, and how valuable
      the run-off contribution is
      c) what financial or mechanical means you have to fix the problem
      d) what your experience is with this land-how many seasons you've seen
      e) how does this tie into a larger perspective with what you're trying
      to do with the land
      f) what type of soil you have, hydrology, vegetation.. etc
      g) how long it will remain flooded for, 15 days during growing season
      may constitute a wetland which has certain protection, but that will
      depend on f)

      from the industrial farmer's perspective (and most soil conservation
      dist),
      drain it, the faster the better

      from the environmentalist perspective
      let it be, its valuable temporary habitat that feed ground water,
      prevents downstream flooding, and can improve water quality.

      since you're on this list I would guess you would lean towards the
      natural side of things, however, the pragmatist in us all would lead
      for a more balanced approach.

      Personally, if you have the ability I would really like to see a
      small flow-through wetland created, small wetlands can provide habitat
      and improve downstream water quality immensely,
      however, channelizing the rest to accomplish improved drainage in the
      remaining productive areas would be a suitable compromise,... of
      course positioning the wetland downstream of the productive land,
      ideally......

      the mechanical solution would be to install a larger culvert on the
      driveway to drain it faster, however, this could lead to errosion
      problems among other things...especially since it the water would be
      flowing with minimal vegetation on the land,

      you also may need a permit to ditch the land effectively...

      > I have spring snow melt and runoff coursing through my property. Some
      > drainage canals were dug by the original farmer but not very deep. The
      > prior owner allowed them to fill with thick grass and put a driveway
      > over top so now I have water backed up.
      >
      > Should I open the canals and get the water flowing or just let it take
      > it's natural course and dry up over time? I am concerned that it will
      > delay my spring planting. This is water that will not remain but will
      > pass through the land anyway.
      >
      > Clay,
      >
      > Spokane, Wa.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic