  • jim stone
    Feb 1, 2008
      So much to reply to in this digest of messages! I too
      am a former vegeterian/vegan- formerly of New Orleans!

      I'm not a faddist or one that buys into diet as
      spiritual expression. I eat what is healthy and what
      my body seems to do well on. My diet rolls with what
      is available, grown etc. on my land or locally,
      hunted, etc...

      I keep chickens and other fowl as well as a few
      cattle, goats and rabbits. I am moving towards a Joe
      Salatin style of farming.

      He uses a "tractor" for meat birds and a "prairie"
      wagon system for layers where they free range after
      they have lain.

      IMO, it is very difficult to provide all the bird's
      nutrition just from grazing, or will at least
      intially. If you improve the quality of your
      pastures, maybe... This is especially true if you use
      the typical Cornish X meat birds. I've not found an
      ideal breed or cross yet. There are alledgedly
      "Freedom Rangers" , etc. that possess the desired
      qualities to thrive on a pasture system.

      There is a Yahoo group for pastured poultry.

      My concept is to use birds as the "clean up crew"
      after the herbivores ala Salatin. I think I will
      probably do some reseeding of more desirable and
      sustainable species and try to rid my land of invasive
      Johnson and Veasy grasses...

      It's been my experience, however that color, taste and
      quality of egg yolk IMPROVES with access to pasture.

      Chickens will fly over a 6' fence. Clipping may or
      may not help- seems to depend on the bird. Guineas
      will sound the <deafening> alarm sometimes. They
      mostly seem to be 'fraidy cats. Very scatter-brained.
      Will forget what you look like from day to day even
      though you raised them from day one. They are,
      however, good food sources as well.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic