7026Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Chickens???

  • Sergio Montinola
    Feb 1, 2008
      Dear All,

      Ghandi who said, "feed the need, not the greed."

      We in the Philippines have yet to believe and practice this very wise saying. The world too has to consider and listen?

      The email is a wonderfull way of doing this too. More info and help to the needy will be appreciated. Afterall its God's plan and gift to the people He created and "let no man put assunder".

      More power to you and keep writing.

      Serge Montinola

      robin <witchessocks@...> wrote:
      dear linda, and all friends;

      my grandfather for many years operated what you might remember was a
      true to type traditional "old mcdonalds' type farm here in the
      mountains of southwestern virginia where he grew tobacco and had cows,
      horses, and poultry, as well as a family vegetable garden.

      he had a diversity of fowl, guineas as well as turkeys, ducks, and
      chickens.

      i remember fondly yet distantly (i was fairly small) the barnyard scene;
      turkeys strutting around as the "upperclass" in the pecking order by
      sheer ferocity,
      chasing and menacing all who would be careless enough to be caught in
      their way.
      chickens worriedly picking their paths through the large dirt yard,
      avoiding the turkeys whenever possible, dividing their time between
      the coop and the feeding areas, surrounding grandpa or grandma
      whenever they came out to throw corn and feed out to them, pecking up
      as much as they could before the more stately king turkey and his
      entourage arrived to try to dominate the situation.
      ducks would stay to the outskirts/banks of the yard near the pond.
      the guineas' strength is in numbers, and their racket and speed. they
      are wilder,slender creatures, and prefer outlying areas. when they do
      come through the yard to there are a lot of them, and they are fast.
      they tend to disappear more quickly into the woods over time, so it
      would seem that you would need to keep a large flock to balance
      losses. the more guineas you have in the flocks the safer they feel to
      come and get fed. fortunately, they tend to multiply well and are,
      from what i remember, not as expensive as chickens in the initial
      investment.i'm not sure or i've forgotten whether there is a "danger"
      of guineas breeding out to wild birds, you might want to check that.

      one thing also that i remember...the sight of my grandfather wringing
      the chickens' necks and the whole ritual that that involved. that made
      a darker aspect to the barnyard psychology. the chickens were
      terrorized even as they were getting fed, and it made for a tenser
      atmosphere for all involved. it made for me an aura of cruelty about
      my grandfather (though he endeavored to maintain
      a sense of humor about it) and for the whole business, even though at
      the same time, i realize now, that these birds, and all of the animals
      on the farm, enjoyed a much greater freedom and natural, normal
      quality of life than most do today.

      i believe that, for fukuoka-san, farming is mainly working on one's
      own mindset, to allow compassion and cooperation to be within one's
      association with other creatures, not so much competition or
      controlling, or victimization of these useful fellows.
      they take a lot of work if you are raising them to eat, you have to
      over-protect them from casualties diligently, yet it is you who,
      ironically, inflict the ultimate casualty upon them, and that is a
      fear-inducing situation. that did and would wear on me, for one. meat
      farms indeniably promote a concious or unconcious bad feeling among
      the participants.this gives rise to defensiveness.

      i do not object to eating meat if one has nothing else to eat. but
      wasn't it ghandi who said, feed the need, not the greed.
      shawn is right when he said modern meat-farming is all about money
      these days, and i think much is being tolerated in many people's own
      souls in so many of the "modern" systems going on today. you don't
      want to teach yourself to be cruel for the money or for the rich diet
      it may bring. you want to learn and experience the natural order of
      life, with all it's great teachers and creatures, and you don't want
      to become an impediment or controller or apply too many methods to
      nature or it will not be true nature.
      therefore, growing plant crops for yourself and to share with other
      members of nature makes everybody healthier and sounder and happier in
      body and mind. that's been proven. it's also been proven that
      meat-farming contributes to confusion about food and what the natural
      food of plant-eating animals are, witness madcow,etc.

      even if one concedes that humans are suited for a small amount of
      meat in their diets- in the processing of many foods, meat or not,
      things that are not suitable are inadverdently, or in some cases,
      purposely included in the "food" to either pad it out, or to make it
      look or taste more attractive, appealing to our addiction or craving
      triggers.

      as far as triggering cravings, the old people in our family called
      this phenomenon "getting the taste of meat in your mouth" in referring
      to a dog who got the bad habit of killing chickens or "sucking eggs".
      the same thing can happen to people, in my opinion. one more thing.
      eating too much meat contributes to world hunger and global warming.
      so i'm not saying no meat, i'm saying less meat. less meat, less heat.

      let's see what kind of a different argument i get from you all, now.
      i like debating, sometimes. try not to come down on me like a ton of
      bricks!
      i hope that gave you more of a sense about guineas, linda***robin***

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan"