6605Transforming an old field

  • Samten Norbu
    Nov 1, 2007
      Hi all revolutionaries:)

      I have a friend with fields that have been untilled
      for over 25 years, only rarely cut for hay.

      I'd like to start growing some grain in her fields
      using natural farming methods. It's my understanding
      that fields like this are the healthiest as the
      grassland ecosystem is completely intact.

      I wonder if you could help me choose a grain to grow
      (I'd love to grow rye, barley, spelt...)
      ...and help me discover how to nudge the field towards
      growing my crop for me... Fukuoka-style. I've read
      all his books, but I'm no farmer or gardner (yet).
      This would be my first active foray into natural
      farming. ! :)

      The soil is heavy with clay but not unworkable. The
      fields grow very well on their own, growing high and
      dense so it's a fertile situation. I live near the
      Canadian US border (near Ottawa Ontario Canada).

      Any discussion or information is much appreciated.

      Alexander

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic