6565Re: [fukuoka_farming] Hay is enough!

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Oct 11, 2007
      Dear Arjun,

      Thanks for this information.

      I have a copy of the "plenty for all" and have read it
      some time back. It looks like, have to read it once
      again !!!.

      Regards,
      Nandan

      --- Arjun Rajgopal <parshini.kadavu@...> wrote:

      > Dear Nandan,
      >
      > If you happen to read Plenty for all, by Shri
      > Dabholkar, esp Chap 5 & 6, the explanation of white
      > roots are given in detail.
      > Best,
      >
      > Arjun
      >
      > Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
      > Dieter,
      >
      > Please see the link
      > http://www.prayogpariwar.net/pubs_middle.htm and go
      > the slide show and slide number 45. Here it is
      > mentioned
      >
      > "In a plant, the absorption of nutrients is carried
      > out only by the active white roots. These grow only
      > in
      > the top nine inches. The rest of the root structure
      > primarily provides the support for the plant".
      >
      > Just wanted to validate this statement.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan
      >
      > --- Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Nandan,
      > >
      > > I have no idea whether there are any commercial
      > > farmers in
      > > India using NF techniques and what kind of yield
      > > they obtain.
      > >
      > > Regarding the second part of your question. What
      > > happened
      > > in Fukuoka's case or in the case of the Norwegian
      > > gardener I
      > > quoted is that a new layer of organic matter was
      > > added to the
      > > soil surface every year, which adds up to a layer
      > > of humus-rich
      > > dark soil that becomes thicker and richer every
      > > year. It will
      > > take several years to obtain a layer of one or two
      > > inches
      > > because the volume of the mulch you apply will be
      > > much reduced
      > > after decomposition. If you start with very
      > > depleted soil you may
      > > want to apply one or two inches of compost covered
      > > by mulch
      > > as an initial soilbuilding means.
      > >
      > > Roots, even those of annuals, go of course much
      > > deeper than
      > > that. I don't have any exact figures at hand, but
      > > I seem to
      > > remember that the roots of some annuals can go as
      > > deep as
      > > 6 feet or more. The layer of humus-rich dark soil
      > > you are building
      > > will never become as thick as that even after 30
      > > years. But
      > > that doesn't matter, because the newly created
      > > topsoil will
      > > protect and enrich the soil beneath and enable
      > > roots to penetrate
      > > deep into the subsoil to scavenge for minerals.
      > >
      > > Dieter Brand
      > > Portugal
      > >
      > > Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Dieter,
      > >
      > > Fukuoka-san used to get 22 bushels to 29 bushels
      > of
      > > paddy from 0.25 acres which is 1760Kg to 2320Kg
      > per
> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic