6560Re: Hay is enough!

  • Forest Shomer
    Oct 9, 2007
      Hello Dieter,

      Thanks for the very interesting observations about using logs and
      woody debris. I also observe that Nature will use deadfall or
      windfall trees to stabilize slopes by laying them down the
      slope--that is, the fallen treetop points directly down the slope,
      while humans lay the tree trunks contoured, crosswise to the
      slope--because terraces are easier to walk and work on than unbroken
      slopes. I would make a distinction between logs, which have no
      remaining limbs, and fallen trees, which do. It makes sense to use
      logs on the contour because they are limbless.

      In this region, we have major windstorms every few years that blow
      down many trees. Typically, the falling tree goes with gravity, and
      winds up with its crown pointing down-slope. the horizontal branches
      then become small contours and check-dams to catch leaves, debris,
      and slow the runoff. In most cases, revegetation takes place very
      quickly within one to two years.

      Evidently both vertical and horizontal placement of woody stems on
      sloping land have their benefits, according to the situation. Best,

      Forest