6226RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: growing into NF

  • Linda Shewan
    Jun 30, 2007
      Jamie – I am at the start point in NF. Your definition. “To allow nature
      just to be and therefore for us to do nothing are the very selfsame
      understanding.” surely must be a point along the road, not a starting point.

      Can you answer these questions bearing in mind the comments below:

      At what point can you move to this level of do nothingness ie. how does a
      natural farm get to the state where you can do nothing (allow nature just to
      be)?

      How do you get there from a bare patch of earth, possibly totally destroyed
      by chemical farming for generations, without doing something to survive in
      the meantime?

      And is that not a hunter-gatherer relationship with the earth as opposed to
      a farmer? Which is ideal perhaps but then we must cull billions from the
      planet…

      If you let nature run it’s own course with no human intervention then you
      will not have enough food to sustain you on a small area of land, while one
      of the key concepts of NF is that you can grow enough to sustain you on just
      ¼ acre. So your definition of NF seems to be only viable for those with
      outside income to buy in food, or the urban hunter-gatherer, which seems
      completely against the whole concept of NF.

      And my personal bugbear because it is so misunderstood - Permaculture is NOT
      gardening or farming or agriculture of any kind, it is DESIGN.

      I do understand the issues you have with human oriented design and agree in
      soul with them but PC strives to design the spaces in the environment so
      that they will work with and for the natural world not oppose them. And yes,
      PC strives to do that by following patterns observed in nature. Agreed that
      all patterns observed are not all the patterns that exist. The wild spaces
      inherent in PC and the perennial, self-seeding nature of PC designs ensure
      that nature dictates the spread and development of the plants in the
      environment.

      PC is CONSCIOUS as opposed to what you define as NF which is the unfolding
      or unconscious. I simply do not believe any natural farms are unconscious
      spaces from day one. In his entire farming life Fukuoka never ‘did nothing’,
      he constantly manipulated his environment to grow what he chose. He did do a
      lot less than most farmers for the same or better result. And we respect him
      greatly for that and learn from his techniques. We know we can grow both in
      body and spirit following this path.

      In peace, Linda