5939Re: [fukuoka_farming] Started reading Natural Farming BOOK

  • Robert Monie
    Dec 18, 2006
      Alan Chadwick's methods are charmingly (though I cannot verify how accurately) presented in a little book by Tom Cuthbertson, "Alan Chadwick's Enchanted Garden," published in 1978 by the Institute for Man and Nature. Used copies are for sale on abebooks.com.

      Chadwick worked mostly in raised beds that were small enough for him to water and tend manually, not the larger experimental farm now run at Santa Cruz. Though he did not till, he did poke around in the soil with a triangular blade to loosen the compaction near the surface. (He freely admitted that watering from above often compacts the soil.) He was also both fussy and creative in dealing with "weeds." He transplanted some weeds, composted some, and thinned out others. He transplanted sow thistles and liked the tase of sonchus, allowed senecio and chicory to grow largely undisturbed but viewed convolvulus with great suspicion. People used to say that he "put on" his raised bed plant garden the same way that a drama director would stage a Shakespearian play (Chadwick was himself a classical actor).

      Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

      Bob Monie
      New Orleans

      Allan Balliett <aballiett@...> wrote:
      >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this whole post and
      >please answer a question or two.
      >thank you, Kiko

      Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
      assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
      farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
      (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.

      Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
      Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
      evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
      of land that they actually husband.

      -Allan